Does anyone have experience of lo having allergic reaction to face paints/sunscreen?

jenkins

Reaction score
I've managed to get a doctors appointment for later today so will talk it through with doctor but I'd just like to get any info I can.

A few months ago we used face paints which I cleaned off with baby wipes (which I've since read is not a good way to clean it off). His face was a bit blotchy immediately afterwards but I thought it was from the wiping. The next morning his face and eyes were really swollen and tight :(
The doctor prescribed an antihistamine and some cream but didn't know whether it was from the face paints or baby wipes.

Then yesterday I put sunscreen on him and straight away his eyes started streaming so I thought he'd got it in his eyes so cleaned it all off. But it carried on and he was saying it was hurting so I gave him a bath just to make sure it was all gone. Then his face went blotchy again exactly like last time so I gave him antihistamine and this morning his face is all puffy again :( that's even with the antihistamine so it would have been much worse, and he's used that sunscreen before without any problems.

I know it probably sounds over the top but I'm really worried :( what if I use something on him unknowingly and he has a bad reaction? Is there any way to find out exactly what ingredient is causing this? Does this mean he may develop more or more serious allergies?

I know there's worse things as hopefully I can just avoid it but I'm worried, any advice on what to ask the doctor or whether to ask for some sort of tests would be much appreciated

Xx

My dd2 has allergies to face paints, suncreams, washing powders, shower gels and other bits.
Its hard work sometimes and alot of the time its sadly trail and error as to what flares my dd2 up.
We have a piriton type medicine prescribed to her and she has some at school now too.
The best suncream for her has been the Tesco plain one, she can't have any with colouring in at all.
Make sure anyone likely to put creams etc on your LO knows what to look out for in allergies too. sometimes brands change an ingredient but we dont read the small print to find out so something that may have worked can suddenly cause problems.
So far dd2 hasn't knowingly developed further allergies, she's just a skin sensitive little girl in regards to that.

Good luck, once you know what's the triggers it makes it easier.

Oh and make sure the Doctors right on the records, that way if you ever need to go to a drop in clinic or anything they know about it too.
And also...its not your fault if it happens again, you will just be more alert to the early symptoms and able to deal with anything accordingly.

Oh and make sure the Doctors right on the records, that way if you ever need to go to a drop in clinic or anything they know about it too.
And also...its not your fault if it happens again, you will just be more alert to the early symptoms and able to deal with anything accordingly.

Thanks so much xx

And thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'd just hoped the last time was a one off. I can be a bit sensitive to certain things myself like baby wipes and I have hayfever and polymorphic light eruption so it looks like he may have inherited it from me.

Xx

My niece reacts to most suncreams when they are put on her face. My sister has taken her to the GP who's said it's not a true allergy as most of the creams which make her face really red swollen and sore are fine when my sister has used them anywhere else. (This has caused problems with patch testing which she was advised to do before using a new cream, she has to patch test a small patch on the face rather than anywhere else to see if my niece is going to react).

In the end the GP gave them a list of properly hypoallergenic suncreams and my sister now orders one from the internet (?uvistat i think it's called) as none of the chemists near her kept it. It was trial and error though and keeping piriton to hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->