Does anyone have experience with male home fertility kits?

nickinoo102

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm nicki and new to all this really me and my dh been ttc for 8 months with no success.
I've been to my gp who was really good and did lots of blood tests for different hormones as my sister has had problems with ovarian cancer etc and had problems concieving anyway all my hormones came back normal.
This led us to wonder about dh sperm count but his gp won't test till we been trying a year and my gp won't test him cos he's not his patient!!!!
Really don't want to wait another 4 months if something is wrong so we thought about using a home kit just wondered of anyone had any experience with these and which one was the most accurate
thanks
nicki

Hi, we've used a home fertility kit, tbh I'd say they are a waste of money, there are so many different tests that can be done and the home fertility kit will only do the basic and this could be misleading. We got what we thought were really good results with the home kit we used but when we had a private SA carried out they found a problem that a home kit would never have picked up. If you can I would wait, or if you really want one done found out if you can have this done privately x

Hi There!

I would give them a miss too! Ours worked but it doesn't give you any answers and just makes him feel crap! Because the only way you can really tell is in a lab with bloods and sperm samples.

Good luck, fx for you!

xx

Hiya

I agree! The kit we bought said you needed to check the colour of the test with a picture. If the test was a lighter blue than the blue shown in thepicture there was a problem. However - that was impossible to determine as the test and the picture were completely different shades of blue! Miss Monty is right - there are other problems that these tests won't pick up anyway. The tests are around £20 and a complete waste of money in my book - better to go private if you can afford it. xxxx

I agree with the others that say stay away from these tests. We did two different types of these test (one basic one and one that measured mobility and everything) - both the tests cane back completely negative. All this did was make us worry for the months we waited for the real test, but not really believing the tests could be right.

It turned out that they were right as OH has very low mobility (although he has just managed to improve this somewhat!) - however I'm not sure how much I trust the tests still as one of them was only supposed to measure Sp.count and that was negative too, but his count is actually fine.

I would be very wary of putting yourself through the months of worry- when it doesn't give you a complete picture. The only positive I would say is that it did give us a bit of forewarning and at least his bad results didn't come completely out of the blue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"