does anyone know what a luteal cyst is?

Tasha360

Mum to four 6 and under
Reaction score
Hi all, i had an early scan today which iv posted about on another thread but i noticed on the copy of the scan notes they gave me that it says i have a luteal cyst measuring 30mm and that it will be assesed at my next scan. Has anyone heard of this and why didnt they tell me?? x

Yes when your first pregnant until 12 weeks the growth hormone comes from a 'bag on your ovary, when you have a cyst it usually attached to this 'bag' and dispears itself no problems when placenta grown and then produces the growth hormone.

I had it it gave me a little pain but soon dissolved and all was fine.

Hope makes sense!

hiya,

they probably didnt tell you because it is very small and very common. its just the sac where your egg came from in your ovary. sometimes they stay a while after the egg is released.

I had an 8cm haemoragic one before we concieved (like a blood blister on there). it was very sore but at the last scan it had got smaller.

Usually in second tri when your hormones change a bit they dissapear completely.

I wouldnt worry. Hope that helps xx

I had the same, although not confirmed by a scan. It was the reason I went to the Dr. when I first got my BFP - it was causing me some pain and thought maybe it as ectopic etc. Dr said it's normal and in fact nessessary so not to worry, she also said most women have no pain but it only takes but drop of fluid for it to hurt.

I started to hurt within a few days of conception. I kinda suspected it was a cyst but not from pregnancy, so figured I was out of luck getting a BFP for that month - never thought it was in fact the reason for the cyst! LOL!

When I had a scan at 5 weeks + 1 it was measuring 3cm. I had another scan at 6 weeks + 2 and it was still measuring 3cm. They didn't seem concerned because it was so small and hadn't grown so told me to forget about it. At my 12 week scan it wasn't mentioned so I imagine it's gone.

I was told it was just the follicle the egg came from x

I was talking to my sonographer just yesterday about this. Shining Star described it pretty much as he did. He also said he doesnt know why sonographers even mention them as women tend to think cyst = something bad.

Anyway as the others said it's a normal part of pregnancy and unless you have an early scan, you probably wouldnt be made aware of it :)

ooh thanks for all your replies ladies glad its notihng to worry about and fingers crossed everything else goes ok.
thankyou xx

It is a cyst that normaly goes away on its own. It is almost always on the side that you ovulated from. I had one with my daughter and I also have one this pregnancy as well.

I don't think they usually do, I was told cos I got sent in to hospital with suspected ectopic pregnancy too, as was quite painful, but as I say it did just dispear.

I was told I have one measuring 6cm, but they said not to worry and that it will probably just dissolve.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->