Does anyone swaddle?

Taken from Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics:

Swaddling has been recognized to be a risk factor for DDH.11,13–15 In randomized clinical trials that have compared crying rates of swaddled and unswaddled infants, newborns considered to be at risk for DDH were excluded.5,6 Several studies have found a history of swaddling to be one of several risk factors for DDH16–18 in addition to the well-known risk factors of breech delivery and family history. For certain cultures in which swaddling has been especially prevalent, a higher rate of DDH has been observed, including in Saudi Arabia,18 Japan,15,19 Turkey,13 and the Navajo Indian.20–22 Although it is not clear if this is a result of ethnic variations in DDH or a result of the swaddling technique, a population-wide program to decrease swaddling and promote wide diapers has been shown to decrease the rate of DDH. In Japan, a nationwide program to avoid prolonged extension of the hips and knees in swaddling resulted in a more than fivefold reduction in the rate of DDH.15,19

No mention of awake swaddling only here, it's an interesting article: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/121/1/177

the footnote says:

If the screening ultrasound findings are normal, then swaddling can be safely allowed. For all infants who are swaddled, monitoring of the swaddling technique to ensure that their hips are allowed to flex and abduct in a safe position for hip development may lessen the risk of DDH.

Seems like more research still needs to be done, no conclusive evidence that swaddling is bad. But I'm still going to air on the side of caution. I'd hate to have swaddled and then in 10 years research proves it is bad, I'd feel really guilty!

I think you will find that the guidelines will always be constantly changing...think of all those mums that weaned at 4 months a few years ago and now they say how terrible it is and it must be 6 months....it will change again at some stage no doubt. Your article is interesting but over 2 years old.

Each to their own :) as i say, i swaddled all mine, nothing wrong with their hips...and i imagine that most of us ourselves were swaddled as babies. I think there are many far worse things to do than swaddle a baby to help them sleep for up to 4 months.

I think you will find that the guidelines will always be constantly changing...think of all those mums that weaned at 4 months a few years ago and now they say how terrible it is and it must be 6 months....it will change again at some stage no doubt. Your article is interesting but over 2 years old.

Each to their own :) as i say, i swaddled all mine, nothing wrong with their hips...and i imagine that most of us ourselves were swaddled as babies. I think there are many far worse things to do than swaddle a baby to help them sleep for up to 4 months.

I think the important thing to remember though is that just because yours were swaddled and were fine doesn't then mean that all babies that are swaddled will be fine. I'd rather not take the risk with mine on the theory that yours were ok ... if you see what I mean.

As i say each to their own, but you will find that there is risks with almost everything with babies, from co sleeping to not co sleeping, weaning, dummies, buggies (did you know they should always be forward facing as facing away from you can delay babies speech?) and car seats (should be rear facing until child is 5 years of age apparently, when i find out where the legs go once they are over 9 months say, i will let you know).

There is nothing wrong in wanting the best for your child, dont we all, however its up to each individual parent to weigh up the risks...in my case, with my own children i am happy to say i still find it complete rubbish. :)

As i say each to their own, but you will find that there is risks with almost everything with babies, from co sleeping to not co sleeping, weaning, dummies, buggies (did you know they should always be forward facing as facing away from you can delay babies speech?) and car seats (should be rear facing until child is 5 years of age apparently, when i find out where the legs go once they are over 9 months say, i will let you know).

There is nothing wrong in wanting the best for your child, dont we all, however its up to each individual parent to weigh up the risks...in my case, with my own children i am happy to say i still find it complete rubbish. :)

Yeah we forward face Daisy all the time for this reason. I'm happy to say that I don't share the same opinion that it is "complete rubbish" after all research is there for you to use how you wish, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it rubbish. :shrug:

it does to me i am afraid. If i dont agree with something that i think is very misleading and could lead to lots of unsettled babies whom may love to be swaddled to feel nice and snug when sleeping, then i do class it as 'complete rubbish' and hope people make up their own minds, either way.

it does to me i am afraid. If i dont agree with something that i think is very misleading and could lead to lots of unsettled babies whom may love to be swaddled to feel nice and snug when sleeping, then i do class it as 'complete rubbish' and hope people make up their own minds, either way.

Sorry but you are coming across quite arrogant to state that something you disagree with is rubbish. There are many different opinions in the world and you shouldn't just assume that only your opinions are right and everyone elses are "complete rubbish".

I hope that comes across as polite I don't want to be seen to be arguing it just seems very arrogant to assume anything different to what you think has no validity.

to me it doesnt have any validity. If you think thats arrogant fair enough. I have said twice now each to their own, i suggest you accept my opinion as i have yours. :)

Someones not trying to push for an arguement are they? hmm

They change the guidelines on EVERYTHING all the time. My nanna was told that bottle milk was better for babies than breast milk and shouldn't even bother breast feeding, now we're told that breast feeding is better. They also now say that pushchairs should be parent facing etc etc

Don't get so het up over something! It's on an article and guess what doctors can be wrong you know

I think when it comes to guidelines, a lot of people take the view 'my baby is fine, never did him/her any harm' if they haven't followed them. I would never do something on the basis that it didn't do someone else any harm. E.g my friend makes up powdered milk with cold boiled water when it is a fact that the powder can contain harmful bacteria which is only killed by hot water. Just because her baby is ok it doesn't mean I will take that risk! Yes doctors can be wrong but you have to trust information from reputable sources.

It depends on what you class as 'reputable'. I never said i expect people to swaddle, i clearly say that people should make up their own minds, however myself, after swaddling three children whom are quite the opposite from developmentally delayed, i will quite happily swaddle again. As i say, for the third and final time...each to their own. I am sure all those lovely ladies trusted their doctors when they handed around Thalidomide for morning sickness and look what happened there...there is room for error in anything even the most researched studies. In this case i have yet to see anything that says swaddling is bad up to four months so i cant change my personal opinion that its a load of rubbish.

Nobody is arguing with your opinion of why you think swaddling is fine and we've heard you say that each to their own. What's coming across as arogant is that you are saying that a different opinion to yours is "complete rubbish".

You can't say each to their own and in the same sentence say a different opinion is rubbish, it's contradictory.

Anyway i've made my point and I don't think you are interested in hearing it, sounds more like you just want to argue so I'll not add any more fuel to this one.

I swaddle dex because I literally have to, he has a very bad startle reflex and can only sleep for an 30 mins at a time. I however now only wrap up his arms. I wouldnt bother if I he actually slept. I think it would be more harmful to him not sleep as babies develop most of their skills whilst sleeping. It depends on the situation you are in.

I am sure all of you do things that neither of you would agree with. I for example rarely ever sterilise anything because I feel that this is detrimental to a baby's immune system but MANY people would think I am mad.

In regards to the hip development, this only applies if the baby is wrapped in its wakeful hours i.e. when awake playing etc. As long as the baby can bend its hips upwards in the froggy position (how they sleep) then there is no risk to any hip injury as they have free movement..

You can find anything on the internet to scare you into believing or not believing an argument. I remember my friend sending me an article he found on ethnic minority pregnancies and how our gestation time is at 39 weeks rather than 40 therefore many women in this minority's babies are stillborn as mothers to be are allowed to go too far overdue. As I was days past my due date (three weeks if you take note of this article) I then got really panicked and couldnt enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. This was based on 'studies' but I had a great pregnancy and labour but because of this article I believed my baby would die. This doesnt mean the article was wrong but believing everything you read is silly. Just go with your instincts, if it wasn't for swaddling dex would be a very unhappy, sleep deprived, undeveloped baby but he is almost crawling and he isnt even four months yet. his legs are like powerhouses and he can literally leap out of my hands but still i don't know if his hips are affected the same as if I don't know whether giving him an MMR jab will make him autistic. It is about what is best for you and your baby.

I read that you weren't swaddling anymore though because dex rolled over right?

I read that you weren't swaddling anymore though because dex rolled over right?

i tried to not but he didnt sleep for 2 days. i bought a cot positioner and it woks a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Years-Nature-Sensations-Positioner/dp/B000HK89GA

it is good for even when he stops being swaddled, he's such fidget that he rolls into everything, he got his arm stuck in the cot bars and bashed his head.

it is a life saver, i hate the thought of dex rolling over into his cot bars swaddled or not. he really bashed himself hard last time.

I've got a cot positioner for when he goes into it cos he's a wriggler too, even in his swaddling heh.

tj wouldnt settle unless she was swaddled and i had to do it till i started using grow bags. so she was 7-8 months by then.
i am going to buy proper swaddling cloths from grobag for the next baby they do look good. x x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->