Does anyone work in radiology while TTC

LPF

Reaction score
Bit of a strange one. I'm not a radiology but I work in the hospital as a SLT and my job has changed where I have to be in radiology every few weeks to do videofluoroscopy.

I'm panicking now as there will always be times where I might be pregnant again but don't know it. This isn't something I can avoid as without me, the service won't exist (we're contracted to carry out research as well)

If I were pregnant, something would have to change but I can't make a big deal just while TTC!

What's the situation? How do radiologist cope TTC in that department? What are the risks if I stay behind the screen (I only need to be there to interpret the VF) and am say 3-4 weeks pregnant. This would be 1 or 2 videofluoroscopy every couple of weeks.

Any advice VERY welcome!

Is there a way they can train someone else to do it?

I think I would talk to my boss if I was you. Just be honest with them and see if they can train someone else up.

I work with someone who has cancer and has radiotherapy and nucleur injections where she can't be near pregnant people or children. I was only 4 weeks pregnant when I found all this out and I didn't want to tell her or my boss so I kept quiet and avoided the lady as best I could.

At 12 weeks I found out I'd had a mmc. I'm sure it was nothing to do with this lady but I can't stop thinking about it or wishing I had been more open so I knew for sure she had checked with her consultant and we'd been more careful. My boss ended up finding out anyway when I had time off for my mc. Next time, I know I will tell my boss straight away so we can ensure every box is ticked to protect my baby, just in case.

I'm not sure if this has helped but personally I wouldn't take any risks. It might be hard to talk to your boss, but living eight it if anything goes wrong and there's a chance it was because of your job will be much harder.

Big hugs and I hope you get more specific advice on the radio risks. Oh and good luck ttc xx

Xx

No definitely no one else that can be trained. If I were pregnant the service and research project would have to stop (which will not go down well, the trust will be financially penalised) But I can't legitimately say for the next months on end that I can't do it, it's part of my job description.

That's why I was curious as to what radiologist do. They can't just stop working in radiology in case they become pregnant. TTC can take months or years, there must be some safe guarding or protocols in that time that maybe they are more aware of.

From what I read a few months ago, xrays around the luteal phase may mean baby simply doesn't implant. But, if you test positive, you must notify your supervisor immediately. There is a limit to how much you can be exposed to per day, but typically it is several pictures worth (it obviously depends on what you are taking pictures of). Most techs will just transfer to CT, where they sit outside of the room. I admit, my knowledge on video fluoroscopy is limited, but I assume you have to be in the same room as the xrays to interpret the results? It may be necessary to have a chat with your higher ups because they don't want your facility liable if something happens.

I'm a physician (not a radiologist, or an OB/RE). I work in an ICU and we have pregnant rad techs who are shooting x-rays all the time. They wear lead and back up like 8 feet to shoot. I assume this is what they are trained to do to keep safe. This is definitely not my area of expertise, but I think you need to wear lead and keep a distance if you can.
Mostly, you really need to discuss this with your supervisor or one of the experienced radiologists. Ask one of the older female radiologists who has children what they did. Don't be shy. This is important and they should keep it confidential if you ask them to.

I work at a vet and we have a digital xray. one of our licensed vet techs was still doing xrays I think until about 6-7 months. other techs would offer to do it for her but she would say 'no thanks, we're ok' and do the xray. I don't think she did it more then once a week. she did wear the big lead aprons and a neck piece. but she couldn't back away like siempre said, only because to xray an animal you have to hold them in place. she gave birth at the end on nov and the baby was on time and healthy. oh, she did ivf by the way, so I'm not sure if she did any xrays around that time.

I do agree that you should talk to your boss though. good luck!

I am a dental hygienist and am taking radiographs every hour almost, or someone In my vicinity is! My dds in the office has installed extra long buttons for exposure so we can walk very far away while exposing pts. A girl in my office is 38 weeks now and she often has someone push the button for her so she can run down the hallway, she also sometimes will leave the area if she can. I def think you should talk to the boss!

My manager doesn't know anything about this procedure or even Vfs really. I could try and ask someone in radiology but I don't really know anyone there!

I've done a bit of research and it seems you can carry on (with all the precautions) as long as your total exposure isn't over a certain level. If I become pregnant, I would stop obviously it's just the 2ww I'm more concerned about. There's nothing much I can do though I'm going to have to carry on doing it unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->