does anyones kiddies do afterschool/nursery lessons like karate, swimming etc

D

DizzyMoo

Hi all , Just wondered if you could help here.
Josh is 4 & i'd like to send him to some lessons in something but cant work out what, As there is only me at home & he dont really see any blokes i think i want him to do some boy type stuff so thought id ask what your kids do girls or boys, & what age they started. Where i am is a small town & all we have is karate & swimming, I'm taking him down to karate tonight to see what he thinks but id rather he did something else like judo or swimming but i gave him the option & he picked karate. So we'll see. He needs to come out of his shell a little more & know its ok to do things without me .
Does anyone thing certain things are no good ie karate or boxing, If so reasons why?
I'm going to get him in swimming lessons as i think this is important besides the fact he loves water i think he'll do well :)

I'll struggle going to far as i dont drive & dont want to be out to late with him so going to look at burnley our next town & see but would love your input ladies xx

I had my son in taekwondo for a good while and plan to put him back in it as soon as I've got my driving license (just became too far of a walk for me really so took a break). I'm all for martial arts because they really do teach self-confidence which has so many positive benefits, and I also think learning self-defense is important. Even if street fighting isn't the same as karate, it's still something and gives children some confidence in being able to stand up for themselves too. Also, *most* martial arts places also teach them when the proper time is to use their skills, and teaches them not to bully others or show off what they know, etc.. so really, I have nothing but positive to say about martial arts.

I also want my son to learn to swim and next year in school they are offering swimming classes once a week, where they transport them to and from the school. This is ideal for me as I'll have a baby by that time so can't really take himself too easily, and I think it's important he learn to swim.

So those will be the two things he gets involved in here. I'm open to sports stuff in the future if he wants to do it as well, but I will generally limit his after school activities to one or maybe two things max as I think that's plenty for a child his age.

Hmmm....I'm not sure there's any activities I'm totally against that are offered here...the only ones that make my eyebrows raise are hurling and boxing. Mainly because of the increase in facial injuries and whatnot that I hear about or see happening, lol..but it wouldn't necessarily put me off having him in them. Even boxing is a great exercise and good for confidence. But boxing would probably be my least favorite activity for him, and definitely not bare-knuckle boxing which some people seem to like to do around here....

I have my wee boy doing football training on a sat morning and taekwondo on tuesday after school, hes only 4 but its been great for his confidence. I also believe its great getting kids into self defence also teaches them about resepect x

My children have always done after school things. All have taken judo and piano classes. And one or two took gymnastics, karate, horse riding, tennis and football. They are teenagers now, so this is over a long period of time, but I can see that it has taught them a lot of good things and I am happy I have done it.
I think karate is not as bad as boxing to be honest and if he likes it, it might do him some good to be with another groups of children than just school.

My 5yr old takes Dance classes (hip hop/street/break dance) and taekwondo at the moment. He started Dance when he was three and its the best thing EVER, it helped him with confidence and people skills, he learnt to be comfortable getting things wrong and having to work to get it right, he is comfortable performing in public, even to rather large crowds at the bigger competitions.
He started taekwondo at 5 (the youngest they take them at our local centre) and he loves it, again its helping him with confidence in himself but hes not at all cocky or brash. Its really helped him integrate with children outside school and those older than him too.

Personally I think martial arts are a great thing for kids to take up, any good school will teach them to only ever use it responsibly and its not about "violence".
On the other hand I would never allow my son to do anything like boxing, I dont agree with the aim of purposefully hitting another person in the face and body as a 'sport'.

My son starts swimming lessons in July which hes really looking forward too as well. I teach him piano and he wants to learn guitar but I have told him I think he has enough on his plate for the time being!!

Oh, and of course he rides, at the moment its only once or twice a week because of new baby and the weather but in summer it will probably be 4/5 times a week as he is determined to learn to jump this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->