Does baby's position matter if I'm having a c section anyway?

DocMcStuffins

Cautiously expecting #3
Reaction score
As the title says really. Im going to be having an elective c section next month.

I have midwife appointments all the way up to my last one at 38 weeks. My section is likely going to be 38+5.

I'm no midwife so could be totally wrong, and it's still early anyway but to me baby very much feels transverse, possibly breech, but definitely not head down. I'd be very surprised if she was. Where I have a hard bump and where I feel kicks and punches and just how uncomfortable I am suggest to me I'm transverse.

Like I said I'm very early and baby will likey move a lot between now and my 38 week appointment, but I just wondered if anyone knew what would happen if, at that appointment the midwife also had a feel and thought baby was transverse or breech?

Would she bother sending me for a scan to get checked or would it just not matter seeing as I'd be having a section a few days later anyway?

My feeling is that it would make no difference at all but I wondered whether the surgeons like to know the position of baby before they begin, like do certain positions make it harder etc?

Both my daughters were always head down all the time so I've never experienced a baby that was in another position so it just had me wondering.

I don't pay much attention to sitting upright etc and trying to keep baby in a good position. I just sit or lay however I'm comfy, so I slouch, I lay on my back etc. Because I knew I was having a section anyway so figured position didn't matter. But now I can feel that baby (I think) is in a different position it just had me wondering if it does make a difference?

I have a midwife appointment on Wednesday anyway so will ask her anyway but just wondered if anyone had any experience!

Thanks!

X

My midwife wasn't bothered. She said that the surgeon does like to know, and if they can't tell morning of, then they'll scan you before they operate...but I don't think it matters.

Hi

My baby is flipping between oblique breech (diagonal) and transverse. With either you pretty much need a csection.

However with both the positions there is nothing in the cervix to "block" the umbilical cord coming out which could result in cord prolapse (not good!).

As such I've been in hospital from 38 weeks just in case my waters break early.

So although for the csection part I don't think it would make a difference (though I'm no expert!) but your antenatal care may change depending on what the scan shows.

Good luck - not long to go now!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"