Does my baby sleep too much?

weebubbles

Mummy
Reaction score
My baby son is 8 weeks and most days he stays awake for an hour at the most when he takes his bottle, gets his nappy changed and burped.
He probably sleeps for around 16 hours a day, is this too much?

I try to keep him awake during the day by palying and talking to him but then he just cries and wants to go to sleep.

I would like to keep him awake more during the day so he sleeps better at night and he still wakes up every 3 to 4 hours day and night for a feed.
Also does anyone have any tips for getting into a routine or his he too young?

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

He sounds like any other baby at that age Hun! 8 weeks may be a bit too young to try establish a rigid routine, but some sort of routine may help him out I.e in the evenig when feeding etc don't talk to him too much and make it real calm so as not to wake him too much.
Babies will feed every 4 hours sometimes well into 3 months and beyond! Noah, my son fed 4 hourly day and night until about 3 months or more. As for sleep, newborn babies will sleep a lot during the day and from experience let them. He may not sleep through of you are unlucky for a while yet! Noah still wakes me some nights for a bottle and he is 6 months!
By the sounds of it, he is perfectly normal with his sleep and as he grows a routine will come :) hope that helps? But newborns can sleep 16+ out of the 24hrs and at 8 weeks he will still be similar to that! Xx

Sounds normal 2 me 2, some babies need more sleep than others. My 15 month old still sleeps alot, if he doesn't he gets very grumpy :-(
He sleeps from 7.30pm til 7.00am, 9.30am till 11.30ish, 2.00 till 4ish, spoke 2 VH about how much he sleeps n she said its perfectly fine.
My LO also sleeps alot n only wakes up 4 a feed, sometimes she falls asleep on her bottle n then wakes 4 her next feed 4 hours l8r n other times she will stay a wake 4 a little while. She now goes from 11pm 2 7am, if she wakes in the nite i offer her a dummy n she usually goes bac 2 sleep.
Hope this helps.

hey hun i had the same worries as you!
Soph is 10 weeks now and still sleeps all the time! if i try n keep her awake she just gets overtired and upset!
I started her routine around 8 weeks i think she would normally feed every 3 or 4 hours but the night i started the routine she sleeps 6 hours or more!!
We go upstairs at 9pm and if she's asleep i'll try n be noisy and put the lamp on to try and bring her round. She gets her bath at 9.30pm and then fed and into her bed.
Over the last 3 or 4 days she has been sleeping 8 hours at a time!! :thumbup:

At that age, most babies are tired after being up only 1-2hrs. My little guy often only made it 45mins before he was ready to nap again! And eating often at night isn't really a concern yet, again normal.

Consider yourself blessed to have one that likes his zzz's!

My baby is the opposite, she won't nap, she gets tired but fights sleep! I'm worrying she isn't sleeping enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->