Does plug always come away before labour, and when's best time to have sweep?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by katemarie, Jun 3, 2011.

1. katemarie

katemarie Mother of one and pregs

Hey,

so I have two questions to ask you girlies if you know - I am due tomorrow and so far have not had any kind of show.

I was wondering how common it may be for women to go into labour without having a show?

Also I am booked in for a sweep at 40 plus 5, my mum has now confused me saying she thinks this is too early to worry about being late and that I should just wait a bit longer and see what happens. But when do they start to induce you, is it at two weeks late or 40 plus 10 so you give birth around two weeks late?! My pregnancy has all been straightforward so far so if anyone knows that would be great!

I don't know whether to bother getting my husband to leave work early and come with me to the 40 plus 5 appointment if I don't end up having the sweep (then again it may be nice for him to drive me seeing as I'll be so big and uncomfortable anyways!) thanks in advance x

2. Mother of 4

Mother of 4 Mom to 5 & pregnant

I didn't have a show with 3 out of my 4 pregnancies so I was startled to have it with my 4th one. As far as my plug I also only remember losing that with one of my kids and now with this one.

3. katemarie

katemarie Mother of one and pregs

Thanks that's really useful to know, I was hoping it wasn't a sign I will be really late as nothing has come away so far! I get heaps of braxton hicks but been getting those for weeks so who knows. This limbo stage sucks hey!

4. Mother of 4

Mother of 4 Mom to 5 & pregnant

Ah yes...I'm not quite as far along as you but hoping for anyday now:thumbup: It can happen out of the blue with no signs too so hopefully it'll happen for you soon! :)

5. oaklvr

oaklvr Well-Known Member

I had no show with my first until labor started. I had a sweep at 40 w 5d, that was given to me WITHOUT consent. It worked though, started labor that night, and 2 days later gave birth.

6. BabyBoyNYC

BabyBoyNYC Well-Known Member

I was wondering this too! Just had an internal exam last night only 1cm dilated and 40% effaced, she offered to do a sweep but said it would be quite painful so I declined, this morning I had a fake contraction (i think, heavy period type pain all over my abdomen for like a minute and a half, but that was it) but i haven't seen any signs of plug loss. I go back next tuesday and will probably ask for a sweep then.

I've been having a lot of BH too and what I like to call my hula hoop of pain, which is tightening and discomfort in the lower part of my stomach and around to my back. I have no idea what any of it means lol

7. kanga

kanga Mummy Wummy

You might need 2 or even more sweeps, a few days apart, for it to start labour. If your cervix isnt ready, your mw may not even be able to do the sweep.

You are in control of when they induce you hun. So if you want to wait til 40+14, then tell your mw that x