does progesterone drop after ovulation?..

hereitgoes

TTC #1
Reaction score
I had bloodwork that siad my Progesterone was low but they were done after I had ovulated... Doc didnt put me on anything.. Should she have or do progesterone levels drop after ov? xx

Progesterone levels actually increase quite a bit after ovulation. The progesterone raises the body's temperature to a nice warm environment that would support a fertilized egg :)

If your progesterone levels are low after ovulation, not sure what that means but I bet the doctor will know.

Good luck hon :)

Yes progesterone usually rises after ovulation - but if you had it tested less than 7 days after ovulation, it wont have raised high enough to confirm ovulation.

Progesterone is needed to sustain your uterine lining, and to support and sustain a pregnancy. I've been TTCing for 7 cycles and am getting all this checked out by the doctor as I have a short Luteal Phase and I spot before AF arrives - all clear indicators of low progesterone.

The way I see it, is that if my uterine lining starts to shed at 5 DPO (which it did last cycle), it would be impossible for implantation to happen.

Go back to your doctor, let them know your TTC and find out more about what your level of progesterone means to you. Sometimes it means that although you are ovulating, your corpus luteum is not releasing enough progesterone after you ovulate because you are having ovulatory issues - then that is a different story.

I chart my BBT and discovered that my Luteal phase varies from 10 - 12 days, with spotting that starts anywhere from 5 dpo to 10 dpo. BBT charting is a helpful tool with anyone who has LP or ovulatory issues.

When they tested my levels they took blood at three or four different days in my cycle to see how it was rising, or how my levels were. My doctor said it is impossible to make a conclusion about progesterone unless you have multiple days of tests. But it is supposed to rise after ovulation, that is what causes the temp rise.
Good luck talking to your doctor.

Hi

Yes I agree with what Cantwaitforu says, it is my understanding that the corpus luteum (the site of the burst follicle after ov) releases progesterone to maintain the uterus lining for implantation. I think it needs to do this for at least 10-11 days or so for implantation to happen successfully, so a LP shorter than this would cause problems.

I am having a blood test this cycle to confirm if I have ovulated and doc says this needs to be at least 7 days after ov so, as Kate says, progesterone must hit the highest level around 7dpo.

I am hoping mine will be ok as I appear to have LP of 14 days with no spotting before AF or anything so don't think progesterone is a problem for me. But obviously can never be sure you actually ov even if you have all the signs I guess :shrug:

Progesterone is needed to sustain your uterine lining, and to support and sustain a pregnancy. I've been TTCing for 7 cycles and am getting all this checked out by the doctor as I have a short Luteal Phase and I spot before AF arrives - all clear indicators of low progesterone.

The way I see it, is that if my uterine lining starts to shed at 5 DPO (which it did last cycle), it would be impossible for implantation to happen.

Go back to your doctor, let them know your TTC and find out more about what your level of progesterone means to you. Sometimes it means that although you are ovulating, your corpus luteum is not releasing enough progesterone after you ovulate because you are having ovulatory issues - then that is a different story.

I chart my BBT and discovered that my Luteal phase varies from 10 - 12 days, with spotting that starts anywhere from 5 dpo to 10 dpo. BBT charting is a helpful tool with anyone who has LP or ovulatory issues.

Hi! I'm experiencing the same thing since going off birth control 3 years ago. I am now on my 3 month TTC. I had my progesterone level checked about 7 months ago because I was concerned I may have an issue TTC. My levels came back at 11.89. My doctor said that was just fine. But then why do I spot a brown discharge from about 6 DPO up until I start my period? I just find it annoying that she won't listen to me. And since taking progesterone can't hurt anything why not let me take it and see if it works. How did you get your doctor to listen to you? How many months did you TTC before your doc gave you progesterone?

I also see that you are now pregnant. How quickly after you started supplementing did you conceive?

I was reading your post about progesterone and did anyone find out about any positive results coming from a very low #. I ask because i was 5 dpiui when I had my blood work and it shows my progesterone at 6.5 and im currently on the suppositories any thoughts on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->