does stripping membranes work? pros and cons

nmpjcp2015

Raising Baby Sam :)
Reaction score
Does it work?

What are the pros and cons?

I'm 39+5 today, appointment this afternoon.

I heard it works if your body is ready, but I've also heard of ladies having 2 or 3 and it not really doing anything other then making them all crampy

Nmp I go for a check & sweep in 1 hour:argh:
I read up extensively last night. It seems to work for some but not all. It can be relatively painless and just a little uncomfortable or really very uncomfortable if you are hard, undilated and far up still. If that's the case with me I'm telling her NO SWEEP! I've also heard a little gas & air takes the edge off if you're really nervous. I don't think I'll have this option as her office isn't in the same wing as the triage rooms with the equipment.

At least she'll be able to tell what, if anything is going on as I've had absolutely no signs and have no clue:shrug:

I've been reading on it as well. The nurse seemed to thing my conditions were favorable a couple of weeks ago.

2have4kids - Can you update after your sweep (if you get it done)? It hurt after she checked my cervix, lots of cramps, so i know it will hurt if she does a sweep. I'm ok with the pain if it gets me my baby.

littlesteph - I will ask her first if I'm my cervix is favorable or not.

I read that accidentally breaking waters is a risk. :(

Will def update nmp, I' had 6 ivf's and some painful iui's and am totally allergic to unnecessary nurse/doc inflicted pain.

I had 3 with ds it didn't work but it didn't hurt to much, just a bit uncomfortable and its got to be better than induction.

I had 3 with DS and it didn't work it was also a little uncomfortable but not painful - I had mine at home tho :shrug:

I had a sweep in my 39th week with my last baby, it was uncomfortable I wouldn't say painful, it made me bleed a bit and I got heavier discharge, bit of period type pain for a day or so, but it didn't work, she didn't arrive until 41 weeks, I think it would help you along if you are already going to go into labour imminently but other than that I don't think they work personally, although I would have another just incase it would work next time lol

nmp she checked me this morning, soft, low, 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated, did the sweep and it wasn't painful at all, just lots of pressure to get to the right spot. I do recommend it because it wasn't painful and I'm a total chicken!

V excited now!! I don't think anything will happen but she said the middle of the baby's head was square in line with where it needs to be :dance::bunny::happydance:

I had one at the end with DD, and it was intensely painful (I think I started crying during it)... and did nothing for me. I was still induced at 40+6. I have vowed never to have one again! I'll go walk my rear off around the neighborhood and not let hubby leave the bed for hours before I opt to have another one. :dohh:

Hope it works for you though!

I believe if your body is ready it will. I was having lots of contractions with my second and start of bloody show. Got a sweep and he was born that night it definitely helped kick start labour. However I think it would have started with in the next few days without the sweep x

I had one last Monday. Didn't find it painful or particularly uncomfortable. The midwife said it was favourable because I was already 2cm dilated and this isn't my first baby. Had some bloody mucus and very slight cramping in the following days but it all came to nothing. I'm booked in for another one on Thursday if nothing happens before. I'll update and let you know how it goes but trying not to get my hopes up again. I'll be induced on my due date on the 8th October if it doesnt work and really want to avoid that if I can.

So far today no blood or discharge at all, let us know how it goes for you nmp

I had it done about an hour ago. Nothing so far. The nurse said things weren't looking too favorable for me.

It did hurt in my opinion but I was already hurting from her checking my cervix so the extra pain was nothing.

Induction scheduled for next Wednesday, October 7 if nothing happens before then. Gonna walk tonight and BD if we can. I really don't want to be induced.

Snoopee --- I hope the second time is a charm. Please let us know how it goes.

I had two, didn't work, I went into labor at 41+6 I guess my baby just didn't want to come out!

So nmp there was no dilation or effacement? Sorry to hear that xx

I had two with DS (at 39+6 and 40+6), neither worked and I went on to be induced at 41+3. I can't remember the stats on how dilated etc I was, but I don't think I was particularly favourable either time. Weirdly, the first time didn't hurt at all but produced some cramping for a few hours afterwards, while the second one hurt a bit but did nothing!

Fingers crossed yours was more successful nmpjcp2015! I can't wait for someone from our group to go! Waiting, waiting :coffee: hehe

I'm having my second one in about ten hours LOL
I had 2 stretch and sweeps with both my second and third babies, ds1&ds2 didn't bother last time, dd2 don't have much of a choice this time ds3 as this ones being very stubborn. They've always worked for me, but I was favourable and it was always the second one to work, never the first!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->