does stripping membranes work? pros and cons

I was 1 cm and a little over 50% effaced. I went walking tonight and had a bunch of Braxton Hicks. They stopped as soon as I sat down though.

I'm really affected by this. Having a spontaneous natural labor has been my dream. Sad to say I cried after leaving the drs today.

I agree with "sometimes" and "if you're truly ready". It worked with my second baby. I had it done once and went into labor the next day. With my third baby, I had it done several times, even losing bloody plug each time, and never went into labor naturally. I ended up induced. My first was 10 days early, so I never had it done with him. If I were feeling miserable and at 40 weeks along, I would have it done again. It is uncomfortable, and it did lead to cramping with both pregnancies and - with my third - bloody show and loss of plug with no labor.

I have mine in about an hour and am a first time mum. Today is my due date and I haven't really had any signs do I'm not sure how favourable I will be for it & hope it's not that uncomfortable! I will add to this post when done and sorted and if anything comes from it

I've had my second one about 2hrs ago, I already feel niggly. So only time will tell. I'm totally ready now! Xx

Good luck lillme and cinnamum. I'm still pregnant with not one sign of progress. LOL. I have another appointment next Tuesday (the day before induction), so hopefully they'll do it again.

Can you not ask for one sooner? Sweeps take up to 48hrs to work.

Thanks nmp, as cinnamum said I would see if you could get one sooner as my doc said can take 24hrs to work. I found it fine not painful at all & advised to have sex after to really make things move!
Done that, went for a walk, which was like a hike as stomach tensing, done the dishes & rubbed clary sage neat on the bump! Now in bed for an hour as feel completely drained.
Dr said I was 1cm and was optimistic I would be in the 50% it worked for......time will tell! Back ache and legs like lead now, fingers crossed for tonight!

I've not been particularly active, but I'm so tired from this mornings 3hour false labour with contractions 2mins apart.... I'm lead in bed! I'm spotting too, so I'm hoping if I have a small nap I can have a good hard bounce and then have a long clary sage bath and then some BDing (once kids are asleep) also a clary sage foot massage too. I'm really not going to over-do it now as my tummy still aches 😔 I was violently sick this morning having my clear out 😔

Second sweep today, mw made sure to do it good. So for about a minute she tried to work some magic. I was 2cm and favourable she said, let's hope it continues to progress before my induction date!
I don't find it overly sore, more an uncomfortable pressure. Afterwards I feel odd in myself though, my legs go like lead for the rest of the day and feel out of sorts. Spotting more than last time which is normal as she done it more. Keep all crossed and send labour dust this way pretty please I will get some movement in the next few days x

I hope it works for you Lillme! It sounds like she did the best she could. Fingers crossed.

Thank you nmp.....here's hoping we get both get some good news. You are one day behind me & just realised your induction date is 5 days before. Let's hope that lo makes an appearance before then x

How are you feeling? I think I lost more mucus plug today. It's so slow moving over here.

I'm feeling as normal as ever unfortunately, hardly any discharge, plug, niggles, nothing! Just back from a walk with the hounds and I actually don't feel as though I am in my 41st week!!
Any progression throughout the night with you?

Worked both times for me but I was 9 and 6 days overdue.

No progression here except this insomnia that's started the past couple nights. It's 4:50 am and I'm up. Bleh.

Oh no way! Get some clary sage oil it knocks you straight out. I had insomnia and it was awful, now I am sleeping great again. But I take a bath and use oils or I don't wind down.
CarlyP you must have been one of the lucky ones

I had a sweep on Thursday at 41+1 it was a bit uncomfortable but didn't really hurt. I have been losing my plug over yesterday and today and she said it was favourable. I was 2cm dilated and said she managed a good sweep. Could feel the head etc.
I've got another Monday so have my hopes up because I'm 14 days over on Wednesday and really don't want to be induced.
With my first 2 boys ive always gone into labour within 24 hours of the 2nd sweep so hoping for the same again!

Kaths you are exactly how I was at my second sweep, I'm just hoping she got things going. I have one more week before my induction and like you I am trying all to beat it! There's a happy medium between trying to get things organised and resting as labour maybe imminent! Really hope it works for you

It worked for me. I had mine done at 38+6. 12 hours later my water broke then 23 hours later my boy was born. :)

I'm getting another sweep on Tuesday but it's only 12 hours before I'm scheduled to be induced. Hopefully it'll get me going so labor starts before the pitocin.

I'm so discouraged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->