Does this happen to YOUR dummies?

SparkleBug

Reaction score
I always put our dummies in the steriliser with the bottles and now im wondering have i sterilised them the wrong way because they all seem to be breaking the same way........

What i mean is, if you were to hold up the dummy and look at the teat it seems to be filled with water as if the teat has burst some where and is retaining water from the steriliser, obviously i make sure its emptied out but surely this isnt hygienic to give to LO? I usually just chuck it and buy new ones when i see that, but it happens to all of them? I just worry if there is a hole to retain water then it must be retaining bacteria too?:wacko:

Am i just being and over the top newborn mum? :shrug:

Yes it happens. Some of them that I have opened even say just to squeeze the water out of the teat. They dry in a day or 2. No worries!

That's not damage, a brand new one can retain water particularly when washed or if sterilised in hot water. Sometimes the instructions warn you to check for water after washing/sterilising and say to turn dummy upside down (so teat up) and squeeze teat gently.

Yeah it's a totally normal thing to happen. They aren't completely sealed so if you squeeze the teat while under water it takes water in - a bit like a rubber duck with a hole in the bottom if you get me!

If I see some suds in ours I make sure I rinse and give it a good squeeze in fresh water to get rid of the soap and then sterilise as usual.

A bit of water in the dummy won't harm LO as it's clean xx

The water goes in through the gaps in the too (near the handle) it's normal and just needs to be squeezed out x

Thanks so much ladies i really appreciate it, i was driving myself nuts thinking what am I doing wrong when apparently its totally normal! doh! lol xx

Lol, you must've spent a fortune on new dummies!

I did Isobel's straps wrong for the first month on her car seat (not dangerously just put the padded bits really low instead of protecting her neck with them till it dawned on me why they were there!) and it took me about as long to realise why the pram brake was so awkward to release - I kept getting annoyed with the terrible design flaw until I realised there was a BUTTON to press! Lol!

Lol, it says in the packaging that dummies will fill with water. You just need to squeeze them with the tongs when you take them out of the steriliser x

Haha don't worry hun I thought that too but then I reasoned that there must be holes in the teat where water can get through because the teat is squeezy, if it were completely sealed it would be rigid with trapped air in there and Louie would not be able to chew his dummy the way he does. I find they are excellent teethers! I dread to think how many useable dummies you have thrown away lol, but never mind. I've probably bought close to 50 as Louie is constantly throwing them out his pram without me noticing! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->