does this sound like a bad night to you

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by JessyG, Oct 12, 2013.

1. JessyG

JessyG cautiously pregnant #1

my lg is 7 weeks old and last night fell asleep at 6:30 having last eaten at 3:30. we thought she would wake in an hour or so but slept right through until 9pm. we changed and fed her and by 10:30 she was asleep again. She only slept until 11:30 when she woke up. i couldnt get her back to sleep so she stayed awale until 1am when she started to appear hungry. i fed her and she was back in bed for 1:45am. she slept until 4:15am when she woke up crying. she had a dirty nappy so we changed her and by half 4 she was crying desperately. i made a bottle and she took 4oz (she take 5 or 6 during the day) and was asleep by 5am. she woke briefly at 7:30 crying with trapped wind so i picked her up and she fell asleep on me. after a few mins i put her down and she is still asleep now.

My OH thought this was a really bad night but i didnt think it was too bad espex considering he was only up with her for half an hour between 4:30 -5am.

Does this sound like a bad night. should we have woken her earlier than 9pm to give her a feed so that she might have slept longer at night?

2. Lawgirl

Lawgirl Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like a bad night to me. When my LO was 7 weeks she went no longer than 2 hours between feeds and refused to sleep anywhere but on one of us, so we had to take turns staying up with her (with me having to get up every time she wanted feeding).

3. Button#

Button# Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound like a bad night, especially that young.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to change things at the moment, just go with the flow for now.

4. chezababy

chezababy New mummy to baby girl

At 7 weeks my lo had colic and would scream from about 8pm to 2am so that doesn't sound like a bad night to me. I wouldn't wake a baby to feed unless they were losing weight or something. Your baby is still so little you can't expect a routine from them.

5. mrsm712

mrsm712 first time mum!

Doesn't sound too bad, I sometimes think that men have no clue lol my OH is great but would often think we'd had a 'bad night' and I thought it was normal baby behaviour! But then I'm a believer in assuming the worse and anything else is a bonus, so anything less than up every hour and I was happy!

6. JessyG

if she had slept from 10:30 until 1am then up for food and then again at 4:30 i would have thought that was great but having to entertain her between 11:30 and 1am was tough.

I know pp say shes too young for a routine but since she generally feeds every 3.5-4 hourly during the day and has a wee nap aftet every feed i would have thought she could sleep longer at night. oh well guess i just have to let her get into that herself. just hope its sooner rather than later.

7. chezababy

chezababy New mummy to baby girl

Do you talk to her and things when you get up to feed in the night? I found that once I stopped talking to her and turning lights on at night lo went back to sleep much easier. Being up in the night is normal though. My lo is nearly 6 months and has gotten herself into a routine but we still have the odd night when she wakes up for a couple of hours.

8. NoodleSnack

NoodleSnack Well-Known Member

Sounds like she has her night and day a little confused still, but to answer your question, other than the middle of the night party, that's still our typical night at 9months. Most men aren't very observant when it comes to babies in my experience, according to my husband, our son has sttn because he slept through the night, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have slept three consecutive hours (which still means at least 3 wake ups a night) over the last nine months.

9. JessyG

i keep her upstairs at night, no lights no talking. when she woke at 11:30 she wouldnt settle without her dummy but as soon as it fell out she woke up. that went on until 1am when she started to look hungry.

I think she does have her night and day confused but i dunno how to change that. feeling a bit useless now.

10. sue_88

sue_88 Well-Known Member

If it were my LO, I'd consider that a bad night! But then she was sleeping from 10-8 with two or three night feeds since she came home from hospital. But if it's not too dissimilar from what you're used to then I'd say not a bad night.

11. JessyG

the night before was better. she slept midnight to 8am with one wake up and feed at 4am.

12. NoodleSnack

NoodleSnack Well-Known Member

Just keep doing what you're doing, keep night quiet and dark and day time bright and loud, she'll get it, by around 3months she'll settle into more of a nap pattern during the day, from the sound of it she's not too bad with sleep so her nightsleep ought to improve.

13. Eleanor ace

Eleanor ace Well-Known Member

Oh man I'd kill for a night like that :haha:. But no, it doesn't sound bad. She's still little but id going stretches between feeds, and it's normal to have a couple of wakeful hours

14. vegazbaby

vegazbaby Well-Known Member

i think knowing how she has been that that is a pretty good night hun, i wouldnt change things too much , id not down when she feeds wakes etc over the next 3 days then look at the pattern, then you can then understand her then try tweaking bit by bit

i had been cluster feeding at 6 and 8 ,but as you know thomas had bad tummy issues so it dawned on me that filling him up isnt really helping, i put him on infacol last night to help with the wind, and l kept to 3 hour feeds, and not been using the dummy and put him in his bouncy chair after each feed i put him to bed in the new cot at 10pm and i woke up to the alarm clock this morning at 6.30 and he was still fast asleep

IN SHOCK! bet that wont happen again,

15. JessyG

yeah she used to be awake in the evening but its getting later and later. in the evening i would play with her put her in her swing etc but i didnt wanna do that at that time of night.

16. bounceyboo

bounceyboo bambino on the way!

no doesn't sound too bad at all tell ur oh to come to my house and deal with a kidney infection on top on work, house work and a sick baby, my lo is teething, conjunctivitis and tonsillitis and is constipated horrifically tired is putting how I am mildly and have a bloody christening at 5.30 tonight so much for a early night gggrrrrrr

17. JessyG

she feeds every 4 hours pretty much sometimes 3.5. however she went 5.5 from 3:30 to 9pm last night. I am still not sure whether she has colic or silent reflux. she wakes up straining to pass wind and is often congested in the morning. she sometimes looks like she is swallowing something unpleasant bit it doesnt make her cry. she can sleep in her moses basket which is not elevated without crying but sometimes i convinced that it is more than just wind.

18. embeth

embeth Mum to 4 perfect children

Doesn't sound bad to me!! My lo goes down around 10, always seems to wake at 1 for a feed and then 3/4 and then 6/7 some nights can be worse some better. Sometimes he ll settle quickly others I can be up an hour or two. I think things can vary so much from night to night at this stage xx

19. Logan's Mum

Logan's Mum ....plus Eric : )

I would say it was more of a challenging night, but thats because my LO sleeps through now (but hes 4 months so theres still time for your LO!) Stuff I do:

- I have a bedtime routine, nothing fancy just a bath, then PJs (babygro) on, then quiet feed in the lounge with the lights dimmed/TV turned down etc. He feeds to sleep (I BF), then I move him to his room and bed. His last feed is 7.30-8.30pm. Maybe start introducing a time when it changes to night?

- The spitting-up gas thing, my LO has the same. I take a loooonnnggg time making sure he has a burp before bed, but gentle methods so he stays sleepy. Otherwise I find he wakes up half hour to an hour later whinging due to wind.

- On the odd occasion he wakes up at night I feed him in the dark (with my phone light on only to check for sick and for nappy changes). I dont interact with him (well, I dont talk to him, if he lays there smiling at me hes hard to ignore :cloud9: ) If he seems more awake I keep him in his room and just let him lay there (I have a cushion he lays on to feed as I find it easier), until he goes back to the boob.

Hope this helps :flower:

20. lilly_bum

lilly_bum Well-Known Member

I think it was an ok night my lo from 8 weeks slep from 10:30 to 8:30 but she has always been a good sleeper at least you are getting a few hours sleep xxx