Does Weight effect chances of pregnancy

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by ZekeyMylo2010, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ZekeyMylo2010

ZekeyMylo2010 TTC LONG TIME

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys, personally does anyone know if weight really effects pregnancy
    myself and my partner have been trying well coming up 2 years this feb now we have had tests done and they have all come back normal and they cant find anything wrong with either of us so i have come to the conclusion that it gotta be my weight thats stopping us. any thoughts or has anyone lost the weight and got pregnant?

2. jewelsb

jewelsb Well-Known Member

yes it does 20 extra pounds makes your fertility drop 10%... Just recently read that online somewhere.

3. mom22boys

mom22boys Well-Known Member

I hope not. I am really overweight. I have a lot of overweight friends who have had no problems what so ever. BUT then I have had friends who the DR told them to loose weight and they would get prego and it did not happen. BUT some it did. I guess it goes either way.

4. sparkle87

sparkle87 A DD with a pink bump

I conceived DD while losing weight! I find being on a diet helps regulate my cycles (I have pcos tho).

Xx

5. yellowbell

yellowbell TTC #2

yes, my doctor said that chances of conceiving increases when one is not overweight. I also noticed that for myself when I lost weight my period became regular every month and predictable. Then when I gained weight again, my cycle became longer (although still regular).

6. Gemmamumof2

Gemmamumof2 mummy of 2 ttc 3rd x

in medical terms i think so, however my friend as been trying 2 months and she's pregnant and shes a big girl, think shes size 20-22. so i doubt it makes much difference as this is her 3rd and shes always been big

7. Killeen_Momma

Killeen_Momma Well-Known Member

I wonder if you still ovulate every month and everything else is regular like AF does the weight still make a difference?

8. MrsGood2be

MrsGood2be Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I am underweight I'am 5'2" and I weigh 96lbs. I having been trying to can wait since TTC but with not much luck my ideal weight would be around 102 lbs the most I've ever weighed was 108 and that was a few years ago. Do you think me being underweight could be why we are having trouble TTC?

9. kates84

kates84 Mum to one

It depends very much on the individual person but being either under or overweight can affect your fertility.

Both can prevent ovulation or make it irregular. It can also cause hormonal imbalances such as estrogen dominance or low progesterone, which again make it harder to conceive.

This isn't the case with everyone though, but it's worth losing a little if you're overweight or gaining a little if under. Just gaining or losing as little as 10% of your body weight can rectify any problems that your weight is causing.

10. msfoxymax

msfoxymax Olivia's Mummy xx

I was (and still am) a size 22 and fel pregnant within 3 months of trying (that ended in a mc though but i did conceive again 2 months after that with no probs)

11. 4magpies

4magpies TTC #2 IVF

It does, fat acts as a store for hormones such as estrogen which can act like the pill....

For every BMI point you lose you increase your chances by 4%.

I am currently "obese" I have lost 5 BMI points so far. Another 14lbs to go till I am overweight.

The root of my problems though are having only one working tube.

I am trying to lose weight to help TTC and just to be healthy.

When I got preg with my MC I weighed 13st. I currently weigh 14st 7lbs. Hoping if I get back to 13st I'll get preg again easy... we shall see!

xxx

12. ebony2010

ebony2010 Pregnant with #2

I don't know if weight effects my fertility but I know that when i lose weight my periods become lighter and less painful so it must help. x

13. ZekeyMylo2010

Just found this

It might. If it is your first pregnancy, the chances of you conceiving each cycle are reduced by 8 per cent if you are overweight and 18 per cent if you are obese. If it is not your first pregnancy, these figures go up even further: to about 16 per cent if you are overweight and 34 per cent if you are obese.

It used to be thought that obesity only affects your fertility if you have irregular menstrual cycles. However, new evidence has emerged to show that women with regular cycles are also affected. The risk of infertility seems to increase with the degree of obesity: in other words, the greater the weight, the bigger the problem. However, there is a solution. Following a weight loss and exercise programme can get ovulation started again if it has stopped and improve your chances of getting pregnant. Even a modest weight loss can pay off. Studies of overweight or obese women have found that weight loss of 10-20 per cent of body weight helped regulate their menstrual cycles and increase the likelihood of ovulation

14. meltanton

meltanton Mum of1,2angels&expecting

being over weight or underweight can apparently cause problems with concieving.
    However i cocieved my first when i wasnt trying, and i was 15 n half stone a size 18-20 amd now iv lost 6 stone and am trying again i havent had any luk so far. so i think its down to the person and ur body, not neccesarily your weight. Lots of overweight people stil get pregnant
    xx

15. ZekeyMylo2010

hey if u fancy being ttc buddies then let us know cause ur on a 26day cycle and im on a 25 day cycle
    hayley

16. EffyM

EffyM Well-Known Member

My Doc said that it wasnt so much the being overwieght as it was the weight gain from the holidays and ttc stress that is the issue with me. I gained almost 10 lbs in the week between Christmas and New Years and that caused my O to be a no show. I am working that off very slowing by training for a 5k. ( so hears hoping this is the month)
    Happy thoughts!!