Does your doc test for progesterone?

orangedaisy

Reaction score
When I got preg with DD, I'd had 2 very early loses before that and I had to hound my clinic to do anything. I kept asking them about progesterone and instead of testing it they just gave me a prescription. Now this time, new clinic, I told the lady on the phone this and she spoke with the nurses and they said they usually only give progesterone in the 2nd tri. I had been on it very early in 1st tri up until 11 weeks I think.
Is this something I should push my clinic about? I hate having to fight for something that they should know and look into automatically. :/

My Dr. tests for progesterone. Because I have previous MC he prescribed it to me last time when my progesterone level was 16. For this pregnancy it has been above 23, so he did not prescribe it.

My OB tests and if it's low he prescribes progesterone supplement. I'm wondering what good it would do in 2nd tri. This is usually when you stop taking a supplement bc the placenta has taken over.

I was tested for prog with my first quant as I have a history of low prog.

I've been on it since about 14 dpo and am still on it until my high risk ultrasound next week where they'll decide if I need the shot or to continue the pills.

I've never heard of women starting it in second tri as usually they're weaned off during second tri when the placenta takes over -- unless, like me, you're facing preterm labor and they give you shots or otherwise to prevent another preemie. So I would be a squeaky wheel, personally, if I were in your shoes. :) Just because I've never heard of it doesn't mean anything, but that's just what I would do based on what I know. :)

Iv had 2 miscarriages and this time (I'm 4+3) they have out me on progesterone! They haven't tested it though! In fact they haven't tested anything and last pregnancy when I asked my HCG levels the doctor wouldn't even give me a number... Just that it was within normal levels!

I'm English but living in Switzerland now and find the differences in care between countries/ doctors frustrating!

My 2 doctors are telling me different things so maybe there is no right or wrong answer! (Not one that's been scientifically proved anyway!)

Good luck to everyone! Xx

I have had multiple miscarriages but my progesterone levels weren't checked regularly until my latest pregnancies. My dr just figured that based on when and how my miscarriages were occuring, low or dropping progesterone levels were the cause and prescribed me supplements without any testing. I went on to have my son and daughter without any issues while taking the meds and a daily baby aspirin. However, I've continued to have losses while on the meds so my dr started checking my levels just to see. I'm consistently in the 'normal' range for progesterone levels in pregnancy but I'm always on the low end. Like 9.8 at 6 weeks when the normal range starts at 9.4.

As to the question of progesterone after the first trimester, drs will prescribe it if you have a shortened cervix as it can sometimes help with that. I know it can also be prescribed if you are at risk for preterm labor too.

Given your history, I think you should push for it. My Obgyn and RE do not routinely check unless there is a history of miscarriages or conceived through IVF.

Given your history, I think you should push for it. My Obgyn and RE do not routinely check unless there is a history of miscarriages or conceived through IVF.

I called them this morning and got them to run the test but I won't know the results for 1-2 weeks. Apparently they have to mail it off somewhere. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->