does your toddler get entertained all the time?

I work 4 days and get Wednesdays off so I always arrange something for the morning - either the library for bounce and rhyme and a look at the books, or soft play, or swimming.
On the days she is at the cm she is kept very active all day and when we get home about 4.30 she generally wants to lay on her playmat and watch Mr Tumble etc for a bit of a chill out. Then we normally have a play for an hr or so when she has had her tea xx

I don't generally preplan activities but sometimes I will think some painting/cooking would be a nice thing to do today etc. We also go for a walk (to the shops/park etc). I do like to do things with callum but also feel its important to have a balance of him amusing himself, so for example yesterday morning I left him to get the washing, put the machine on, and put the other washing away. Then I made sure to have a sit down and play with him and we did some crayoning xx

Tom's slowly getting better at playing on his own sometimes although he likes to do it where he can still see me so if I'm in the kitchen he'll bring his cars or book in and sit in the middle of the floor playing. I do sometimes feel guilty when he's playing more on his own but I totally agree that not expecting to be entertained all the time is an important skill for children to learn.

I work 3 days a week and Tom does loads of painting, singing, group activties etc at nursery on those days. The 2 days we have together in the week we tend to go out to the shops or library and just potter around. He's normally knackered after nursery and it gives him some more chilled time in the week. At the weekend we usually plan something in the morning that will entertain Tom but don't do a lot in the afternoons.

I let Callum play by himself all the time. Not because I necessarily want to do things by myself but because it's good for them to have solitary play and because I need to get on with the cleaning/laundry/cooking etc

I have a rule. If he is playing with toys like stackers, shape sorters etc I leave him alone because if I get down on the floor with him he goes completely off those toys and doesn't play with them in the end.

But, if he is playing with his cars, mega bloks etc I get down with him and play. Everyday I also do the standing game with him at least 5+ times. It's a game where I hold him at arms length (feet touching floor) count "1, 2, 3" and let go so he stands alone.

In the space of 1.5 weeks he has gone from falling over immediately to standing for 15+ seconds. That to me is major!

Yes. He plays in the frontroom with his toys and if he's being a little energetic I'll tie him to the washing line so he can run round, dig and play... Then I put him back in his cage :rofl:

Yes. He plays in the frontroom with his toys and if he's being a little energetic I'll tie him to the washing line so he can run round, dig and play... Then I put him back in his cage :rofl:

I have a very large cage in my kitchen that serves as my dogs' overnight bed and daytime 'den' ... Kaylum loves it and uses it like a playhouse - he often shuts himself in there on purpose :rofl:

Well we try to "do" something at all times but no one is "super mum" - well, most of us aren't lol!!

We all need a bit of down time every now and then. In fact I would say it is important to stop ourselves burning out. A bit of TV never hurt anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->