Dog lymphoma

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this?

My dog, who is only 7, has just been diagnosed and we are all devastated. He seems to be feeling fine, his only symptom is a sudden huge swollen lymph node on his neck.

Fortunately, we have very good pet insurance so we have an appointment with an oncologist at one of the best vet hospitals in the U.K.

The diagnosis is terminal but he could have a year or more with treatment.

No experience, but just wanted to say sorry. I've got dogs and it's heartbreaking when they get poorly xx

Thanks for the reply. It’s totally heartbreaking, especially since it’s terminal and without treatment we are looking at 4 weeks. He’s so young!

I am a vet nurse, and although we don’t have an oncology ward at my hospital, I do have a friend who works in oncology elsewhere. She always says how amazed she is at how the animals tolerate the chemo and/or radiation, they don’t suffer near as many side effects as humans do. Many continue to live the happy dog life for a longtime while receiving treatment, it can definitely prolong their life while still preserving quality of life.

I am a vet nurse, and although we don’t have an oncology ward at my hospital, I do have a friend who works in oncology elsewhere. She always says how amazed she is at how the animals tolerate the chemo and/or radiation, they don’t suffer near as many side effects as humans do. Many continue to live the happy dog life for a longtime while receiving treatment, it can definitely prolong their life while still preserving quality of life.

That’s what I’ve heard too.

We are going to find out if it’s B or T cell and do “staging” shortly: our appointment is Tuesday. Our local vet (not a small surgery - they have about 6-7 vets) can do staging and treatment, but the hospital gives us more accurate imaging. Once we have staging done we will know prognosis and suck.

I’m just heartbroken.

I am so sorry - I do not have experience with lymphoma but we lost one of our dogs at the age of 7 to sudden kidney failure and then the same year found out her sister had kidney failure this is 2 years ago now and our girl Chloe is still going strong but it is a worry that anyday could be the day :(

:hug: I hope the prognoses is a better one and your doggy gets many more happy years with you :hugs:

I am so sorry - I do not have experience with lymphoma but we lost one of our dogs at the age of 7 to sudden kidney failure and then the same year found out her sister had kidney failure this is 2 years ago now and our girl Chloe is still going strong but it is a worry that anyday could be the day :(

:hug: I hope the prognoses is a better one and your doggy gets many more happy years with you :hugs:
Oh that’s horrible!

The diagnosis is definite and the prognosis is not good either way. I believe average survival is around a year. I’m not exaggerating when I say he is part of the family. No idea how we are going to explain it to dd when the time comes. She already knows he is “sick” but thinks he had a sore ear as he had been at the vets the week before with an ear infection.

Called the insurance today and our excess is £90 which we have already spent (and more) for his consultation at his local vet. We need to pay the first consultation at the vet hospital (£190) out of pocket and claim it back, but everything after that to the value of £4,000 per year will be covered by insurance. It’s so expensive!

:hugs: so sorry the prognoises wasn't good :(
I know what you mean Lela & Chloe were my babies before babies and when Lela went she took a piece of my heart :( I am still heartbroken and cry at times - Chloe is now 9 and it is going to be so hard when she goes

You, your furbaby and family are in my thoughts :hugs:

*don't you wish there was an NHS for pets :wacko:

I forgot I had posted this!

We had a really good appointment at the vet hospital. Staging was anticipated to cost around £1000-£1500 so we decided to not do the full staging process - mainly because the treatment plan is the same regardless, but also because our limit for the treatment was 4K per condition per year, which has to last until June 2019, and the chemotherapy protocol is estimated to cost £3500-£4000. Therefore, the vet did “basic” testing and staged him as 3a. We knew he would be at least 3a so it was the best news we could get.

We did a chemotherapy protocol called CHOP. We amended one drug, basically because it can cause cardiac risks and therefore he would need heart scans which are pricey. The vet believes substituting the drug will not make any difference to his life expectancy.

We didn’t do the testing to see if it was b or T cell either. Again, treatment is the same for either but prognosis is different.

He has had two rounds of chemotherapy so far and was in remission after the first, which is fantastic. The vet thinks it’s B cell based on his fast response, which doubles his life expectancy!

He gets round 3 tomorrow. Symptoms wise, he’s a bit sleepy and not his usual self but not in pain and still jumps up and barks like mad when the door goes, so I don’t think he is in any pain or feels sick or anything. He is still eating and drinking and his poop is normal, and he has only been sick a few times (which is normal for him)

OMG the pee though! He is on diuretics and steroids (the chemo can damage his bladder) and he is drinking literally about 8 times his normal amount and peeing non stop. He gets out every hour and does a pee as soon as the door opens, sometimes he is peeing for literally 3-5 minutes 😳 he has also peed the carpet quite a few times, which is really unlike him. He has done it before a few times, always when on steroids, so I’m not worried about it being a symptom of the lymphoma or a sign he is in pain or anything.

We are trying to do nice things with him when he is well. We had him in a lovely beer garden and at the beach after his first chemo. His second has made him more sleepy and we have been busy with other things, plus the weather was rubbish, so we haven’t done anything this week, but we might do a nice day at the beach or in a park next weekend. Taking lots of pictures!

We are getting a painting done soon. Not sure whether to get just the dog, or include dd in the picture too.

His continued treatment after he has had all drugs once will be at our own vet. The hospital is over 20 miles away and goes through the city so it’s a long drive (at least an hour) plus we need to leave him and come back. It’s a lot cheaper at our own vet and I trust them to do it. Our own vet is good friends with the oncologist so that’s good! The treatment is weekly for 9 weeks then fortnightly for another 16.

I'm glad everything is going as well as it can be for him. It's nice that he can enjoy some days out and if he's anything like mine, on the days you don't go out, he's probably happy lazing around at home and having some cuddles 😍

The painting sounds like a great idea. My husband's aunt painted one for us (she does it as a hobby) and it's amazing how life like they can paint them.

Hi all!

By some miracle, Django is still alive! We did a chemotherapy protocol called CHOP and he has been in remission for 16 months, despite having a life expectancy of 6 months.

Unfortunately, they now think he has a second type of cancer. How unlucky would that be?

Please pray that Django lasts until Christmas! I am sure a lot of you realise that although I’ve not been around here much recent, and I have my wonderful four year old dd, it was Django who got me through the horrors of recurrent loss and an ectopic pregnancy. He’s my first baby

Aww I’m so sorry, thinking of you and Django and praying he stays with you for as long as possible! :flower:

We’ve got a dog who recently turned 9 and can completely relate to how you’re feeling. We love her so much and will be devastated when it’s her time (hoping for many more years). I just focus on giving her the best life possible for as long as she’s here. We actually talked yesterday about why doggie lives have to be so short, wish they could be with us forever!

It’s so good Django’s been in remission for so long and hope he can get through this too :hugs:

xx

I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this, but it's great he's been in remission so long! Fingers crossed this possible second cancer is only a scare and he has plenty of happy, healthy years left. My Aussie is my baby and has helped me through some really rough times so I understand the bond. Dogs really are a part of the family and it's devastating when they get sick. Sending all my love to you and Django

Sending lots of hugs xxx

Thanks for the support everyone!

So, good and bad news.

The good news is that Django does not have a second kind of cancer. The kind they suspected is really severe. So that’s good!

The bad news is that he has lymphoma again. They actually think that he is still in remission from the first lymphoma and has a new lymphoma on top of it, or some other strange manifestation of lymphoma. None of his original lymph nodes have swelled, and his swelling is in a really unusual location. It appears to only be in one lymph node, which is amazing.

He started chemo two weeks ago. He appears to be in remission again, and is getting his third treatment tomorrow. Only 40-50% of dogs achieve a second remission!

Health wise, he’s doing really well. You definitely wouldn’t know or suspect he had anything wrong with him. He’s his usual full-on self!

I'm glad Django doesn't have a second type of cancer but I'm sorry that the lymphoma has come back :(
It sounds like he is a fighter and is doing really well! I hope he has a full recovery soon <3

So unfortunately djangos lymphoma was really aggressive. He came out of remission just after my last post. Between mid December and Christmas he had two other chemo drugs which didn’t work. On Christmas Eve he got a drug which normally always gets dogs in remission, even those who are resistant to other drugs. It did nothing. He then got another chemo which floored him. He had a good day on Christmas Day, and on Boxing Day we had to take him back in. They told us he had 40% chance of improving, and if he improved we had a few weeks, if not we had a few days. He never ate again, and come Hogmanay he couldn’t really do anything. We got him put to sleep on New Year’s Day. It was a horrible start to 2020!

we now have a new border collie pup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"