Dog Walking

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by amie-leigh, Apr 25, 2009.

1. amie-leigh

amie-leigh Mummy To Princess Morgan

Sorry if this turns into a huge rant but im sooooo p'd off

I have just got back from walking my dog (who's an angel when we're out) and half way through our walk which i walk her 3 times a day some man decided to ask i was planing on keeping my child, i was shocked and said yes of course to which he replied well its very irrisponsable to be walking a dog when your that far on (i am 28+2 but my bump is quite big now) and walked away looking disgusted

i would understand if my dog pulled on her lead or was a great dane but she is brilliant on her lead trotting by my side and she is a small cross breed (she is that small she often gets mistaken for a 6month old pup)

i am so annoyed someone could accuse me of harming my unborn child, especially as i don't know him

has anyone heard of not walking dogs when preg as me and OH who often walks with us have never heard of it being bad if dog is well behaved, we actually thought it was good i was still able to walk (even if it is a slow pace) so that i stay healthy and active

sorry for the rant (feels good to let off steam)

2. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

That is awful, afraid i would have had to have said something! How dare he, you carry on walking your dog till you want to hun!!

3. amylw1

amylw1 my 3 boys in avatar. x

i take my sisters 2 dogs for a walk every day as shes at work. never heard of why you cant do. i'd have told him where to go!

4. amie-leigh

amie-leigh Mummy To Princess Morgan

thanks hun
    if i hadn't been so shocked i proberly would have had a right go lol
    x

5. angelstardust

angelstardust mother of 3

To keep half of the loons happy you have to climb mount Everest while pregnant and the other half want you to be lying in bed for 9 months.

Can't win. But then, they are loons they have nothing better to do.

I can think of a few phrases that would have been out my mouth before I even thought about it.

6. lepaskilf

lepaskilf Guest

Why would it not be ok if it was a great dane?........

I have an irish wolfhound (the same size) he's great on the lead too! I'll happily take him for walkies well in to my pregnancy and also when the baby is born!

7. mummy3

mummy3 Busy!

My DH wont let me walk our dog anymore but in fairness she is a big dalmation and im quite tiny :dohh: If you have'nt got a big dog that could knock you over I dont see the problem, just tell him to mind his own business!!

8. fruity

fruity Well-Known Member

Ignore him, he's an idiot! I do dog agility and plan to be running my border collies at shows up until 2 weeks before my due date - no reason not to and at least exercising dogs is getting us out in the fresh air and exercising. If you enjoy it, do it.

9. jennie_78

jennie_78 Mum to Caitlin, and TTC

Take no notice of him!
    I have 2 dogs which i walk daily, and plan on walking all through my pregnancy.
    My midwife asked me what exercise i was doing, to which i replied i was walking my dogs several times a day. To which she replied " thats good ".

10. NIfirsttimer

NIfirsttimer Proud mum, new wife & WTT

yep..im still walking bailey.. my boxer! i actually think he knows he has to take it easy on me.. hes a lot more gentle these days...

11. baby.love

baby.love Guest

I think its great you can walk them, I have 2 very bouncy dogs so leave the walking to him now.

I say carry on, you know your dog better than some prat in the streets who feels they know bloody everything xx

12. WhosThatGirl

WhosThatGirl Mommy of 4 amazing kids!

I have a saint bernard and while she is great to walk, I probably wont walk her once I am pregnant and really far along, simply because while she is for the most part great to walk, if she sees a cat or something she will try to run off and I have to forcefully pull back on her leash and with a 150+ pound dog I wouldnt want any trouble or pulled muscles from that. But if I had a smaller dog I would walk it without any worries while pregnant :)

13. Lara+sam+bump

Lara+sam+bump Well-Known Member

I still see to my horse everyday and she weighs half a tonne lol, wat do you think said man would have said to me walking her :) I actually still ride her as well, but 2moz is my final day of that as its startin 2 become uncomfortable for me. But I intend to still be feeding her until the day I go into labour. My dogs are to old for walkies now, but if they werent id still be walking them 2. I would hav told the guy where 2 stick it. xxxx

14. I walked my dog right up until the day I went into labour! What an idiot.

15. NickyT75

NickyT75 RIP Sophie my angel

He's an idiot hun take no notice of him :hugs:

walking your dog is great exercise :thumpup: xx

16. superbaby

superbaby Active Member

What a twat. I have a labrador that I walk 3 or 4 times a day and i'm 35+4.
    I attribute my good health to my dog keeping me moving, although much slower pace these days!
    Even if a dog jumps up on your bump it is well protected, and lets face it if we didn't think it was safe to do we wouldn't do it, we're pregnant not thick....

17. kitty_kitty

kitty_kitty Well-Known Member

I love walking my 2 lurchers everyday and i will continue to do so.

They walk to heel and do not pull at all.

I love getting out and the exercise is brilliant.

What an idiot

18. Rebaby

Rebaby Mum to 2 boys

What an arse. I hate people who think it is okay to make comments like that and stick their nose in your business...who the hell asked him?!

Pay no attention hun, you know your own dog and your own limits. I'll be walking our springer for as long as i possibly can...although he is a little naughty on the lead so really it's more like he'll be walking me...:blush:

19. Kiree

Kiree proud mammy of 2 boys

that is so rude! how come people think they can say what they want? its got sod all to do with him and he probably a lonely old git with no kids and no dogs!!! i feel annoyed for you!

i dont walk our dog at the mo but only because when i was in 2nd tri out walking with her, a huge dog off a lead came bounding over and it was icy so almost knocked me flying. my dog was trying to defend me and it all got a bit scary. meanwhile the woman whose dog it was carried on her mobile phone conversation without a care in the world. we saw her a few times without that dog under control when we were out walking so decided itd be best if me and hubby go together.

but id say only you know your own dog and how you are feeling so only you can decide not some nosy bloke!

20. polaris

polaris Mother of two

What an ignorant man!! What on earth makes people think they have the right to ask 'are you keeping the baby?' under any circumstances - how rude!! As for his views on dog-walking, he's obviously an idiot as well as rude. Ignore him or if you see him again, give him a piece of your mind!