Don’t know what to do !!

mme

Reaction score
Hi everyone
So my situation is my little one is at school, I started on a full time contract and when my little one was born I dropped 8 hrs a week but contract was not changed, now I have been told I have to go back to my original hours. This i do not want to do, I would have to pay a child minder to have my child but the main thing is I would barely see my child, and just as we planned to try for another too. I’m totally devestated right now

I'd head straight to the Head and talk about it. In failing to get anywhere in that, I'd seriously consider job hunting. I'd rather take a loss in wages and be in employment where I would see my children rather than making good money and not see them because they failed to make a printed change in my contract. Good luck.

as pp said, speak to someone senior to try resolve it and if not id consider moving to another job. For me work comes way down the list in priorities. My husband works full times to provide and I work nightshift so I don't miss seeing my children, can take them to appointments and they always have me or daddy there. That was partly down to a difficult employer, not wanting to miss anything and also childcare costs. It's not easy x

Maybe I'm being controversial here but if you were planning trying for another child anyway why not say 'yes, of course' to your employer at this point in the hope that you'll be pregnant again soon and be heading for maternity leave and shortened hours while your new wee one is a baby?

I don't know where you are based but in UK employers have to consider a request for reduced hours after coming back from maternity but that if they agree to it this agreement will only last max 1 year and then can be withdrawn or re-negotiated. This is all set out in the Maternity Policy. In such cases the employment contract isn't rewritten but a change of hours notification is required which will state how long this change is in force for. Do you have anything in writing (like even an informal email)? Are you a member of a Union who could look in to it for you?

I don't know where you are based but in UK employers have to consider a request for reduced hours after coming back from maternity but that if they agree to it this agreement will only last max 1 year and then can be withdrawn or re-negotiated. This is all set out in the Maternity Policy. In such cases the employment contract isn't rewritten but a change of hours notification is required which will state how long this change is in force for. Do you have anything in writing (like even an informal email)? Are you a member of a Union who could look in to it for you?

This is actually incorrect. Could be the case in some companies but not all.

The law is that they have to consider a request for a change to working hours but do not have to agree it. If they do agree it, it tends to be a permanent change to terms and conditions unless specifically agreed otherwise.

OP I would suggest if you have been doing the new arrangement a while and you have nothing in writing to state an end date then you could argue it. An informal chat would be the first option then maybe a grievance should it get that far. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->