Donating Your Eggs?

tverb84

Reaction score
Yesterday I was watching The Doctors and there was a segment on this young woman who sold some of her eggs to help pay off her student loans. A few years later when she wanted to have children she couldn't because the hormone pills she had to take to produce eggs made her infertile. I'm just wondering if anyone here would donate their eggs? I would never donate mine mainly because I want to have children in the future.

No, I wouldn't because I personally don't believe in it. But geeze I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Poor girl. I know birth control is bad, but I wouldn't think that a hormone to produce eggs would cause infertility later on!

Hubby and I both agree neither of us could ever donate sperm or eggs, I just couldn't emotionally cope knowing there were children in the world that were mine, I know there's a lot more to being a parent than a biological link and obviously know their adoptive parents would be their parents in every sense of the word but I still couldnt emotionally detach myself from the situation even if I knew nothing about it all.

I would consider being a surrogate for a close family member or friend if desperately needed and so long as it wasn't my egg I know I wouldn't be overly emotionally attached and could say good bye. I wouldn't feel like that if I was directly related.

Obviously it's amazing that there are women out there who do it to give other women the opportunity to have children, in the UK as far as I'm aware it's not really something you can do for financial gain, I believe you only have the costs incurred to donate so your travel expenses and leave from work paid etc, I think it's a bit questionable morally to do if for money.

I've never heard it interfering with fertility and certainly wouldn't do it more so before having children.

Nope I couldn't feel with the idea of my baby being out there... and they can trace your when they are 18 now in the UK. No that's but good on those who do

I don't know if I could donate eggs or not. I've thought about it, as I think I'll need IVF when I start TTC, and I know in the UK at least it is cheaper to do IVF if you donate some of your eggs. I want to go abroad for treatment, though, so I guess it would depend on the rules over there. I don't think I could ever accept an egg/embryo, though, from a stranger. I guess, if I needed it I would be willing to accept an egg off my sister, or donate eggs to her if she needed it.

Hubby and I both agree neither of us could ever donate sperm or eggs, I just couldn't emotionally cope knowing there were children in the world that were mine, I know there's a lot more to being a parent than a biological link and obviously know their adoptive parents would be their parents in every sense of the word but I still couldnt emotionally detach myself from the situation even if I knew nothing about it all.

I would consider being a surrogate for a close family member or friend if desperately needed and so long as it wasn't my egg I know I wouldn't be overly emotionally attached and could say good bye. I wouldn't feel like that if I was directly related.

Obviously it's amazing that there are women out there who do it to give other women the opportunity to have children, in the UK as far as I'm aware it's not really something you can do for financial gain, I believe you only have the costs incurred to donate so your travel expenses and leave from work paid etc, I think it's a bit questionable morally to do if for money.

I've never heard it interfering with fertility and certainly wouldn't do it more so before having children.

I couldn't live with knowing a child of mine could be out there and thinking I abandoned them or not wanted to keep them.

Speaking of being a surrogate I don't know if I could do that.

Honestly I've considered it, but DF wouldn't let me do it. He won't let me be a surrogate either. I had no idea that donating eggs could cause infertility though, I'm glad I never went through with it. They really need to be more clear on the possible consequences of egg donation if they don't want to get sued. But I suppose no one would donate if they were upfront about it, greedy jerks. After hearing about that I would never donate eggs, but I do think I would be okay with being a surrogate for someone close to me as long as it wasn't my egg. It would be too emotionally crippling for me to carry a baby for nine months, give birth to it, know that biologically it was mine and then have to give it to someone else. I couldn't handle that. I would feel a lot less personally connected if the baby was not biologically mine, then I would just see it as their bun renting my oven.

I think I could be a surrogate for someone close to me (I'm obviously saying this having never had a baby), but I agree that I couldn't do it if using my own eggs - that would kind of feel like giving away my own baby.

I wouldn't be able to be a surrogate to someone else even if it wasn't my own egg. It would be too hard for me.

I think I could for my sister or my cousin (she wants kids but she's had a few miscarriages, the last one quite late on, so I'm not sure she wants to try again), or maybe one of my very best friends, although most of my friends now have children so can't see them needing a surrogate. Obviously I'm saying this having never really been pregnant - maybe it'd be a different story in a few years!

Poor girl :/ I think I wouldn't be able to donate my eggs even after I have all the kids I want. It sucks in a way because you will be helping someone but still knowing there is a piece of me out there I can't . Surrogate situation definitely not that is hard

Yeah to feel a baby moving inside you and knowing it's not yours would be really hard to go through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->