Dont believe the stats - they arent always true.

_Vicky_

Mum to twins
Reaction score
Hi all

WOW I so love this section I wish it had been around last year - I wanted to put a different slant incase anyone over 35 is planning to ttc.

I am now 37 - last year oh and I decided the time was right, me being 36 assumed it would take a while so April 2009 I took my last pill and kind of made a mental plan not to even worry for 12 months if nothing happened. I bought about a years worth of folic acid and a million cheapy internet pregnancy tests - I planned to do a test every saturday morning - more so i wouldnt drink a wine or two wondering if i was pregnant than anything else. Anyway life goes on felt pretty weird using no contraception but we didnt tell anyone our plans due to our assumptions. fast forward three weeks later 6th June - saturday morning 6am, I need to pee and as you need to do the test first thing I did the test POSITIVE!!!! OMG POSITIVE!!!! we had jjust got our heads around that and on the 16th June I was bleeding - awful horrible so off for an early scan. Never ever did I think I would here the words we heard - do you want a big family? HAHAHAHAHA TWINS!!!!!!

Sooo on 21st January 2010 my beautiful boys arrived - I was induced and delviered naturally (yay me not bad for an old bird)

They are fabulous I love it and dont feel old at all!

Not sure that my thread is relevent but all the stuff you read about the over 35s and conception isnt always true!!!!! I conceived twins naturally in the first month of trying at aged 36 xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lots and lots of positive vibes to you all xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yay congrats to you!

Stats are just stats though. You can prove what you like with stats. I prefer to just :ignore: them!

Congrats - I love your picture. You look so chuffed!

Congratulations! And you got twins :happydance:. Just goes to show that statistics are just a buch of numbers that don't apply to you as an individual.

At 36, I also thought it would take an age to become pregnant - the biggest shock of my entire pregnancy was deciding on June 27th to try for a baby and on July 18th getting my BFP!

Really nice to read such a positive post and yes, I agree about the stats. I conceived naturally at 38 after only two months of trying. I have several friends who have also had children when over 35 with no difficulty.

Congrats on your twins. I agree- don't let the statistics scare you. I am 36 and conceived the second month of trying. I do admit that I am more nervous of miscarriage with this pregnancy though- I never even thought about it during my first pregnancy.

congrats to you all!! Gives us all hope.

I also wish this section had been around last year. We started trying just before I turned 36 and I charted for a month after stopping BCP and before we started DTD. Took 3 months to catch, but only because our timing was off the first two times (we only DTD once each month). So, even with the odds stacked against us because my OH could only DTD once a month, we managed to get pregnant.

Aw, thanks for sharing, as that is so encouraging to read!
And congrats on your twins!

Awww thats a loverly story and such beautiful children. Congrats to u xxxxx

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to offer encouragement to my fellow mid to late thirty year old women out there who are trying to conceive.

I am 37 years old and got pregnant on my first try in May this year... trust me, thirty is the new twenty. Get out, have fun, get plenty of exercise, eat healthy and think positive... it will definitely happen for you...

hi all,
i'm 39 and got pregnant the second month of trying. and my nuchal scan and blood test gave me an 1:1800 chance of having a down's syndrome baby. (considered high risk if 1:300 or lower)
so, fingers crossed, but so far, I'm beating statistics...
Good luck to you all!
B

I luv reading stories like that. I disregard stats, I think it depends on the individual. I will be getting a BFP and no stats are going to dissuade me Lol. I would love twins.

I just wanted to throw in that even the studies regarding risks of being older are exaggerated when reported in the media.

The media will say that because you are over 35 (or overweight or name any other condition) you have twice the risk of this complication, or three times the risk of another, and it makes it sound so horrible. But when you actually look at the numbers, it means that 1 out of every 5000 people without your risk factor would develop a complication, but 2 out of every 5000 people with your risk factor would develop that same complication. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I think it's somewhat relevant to this thread.

I'm hoping to get my Masters of Public Health, and so I've taken a lot of courses in epidemiology and such, and realize that the way statistical trends are reported is generally rubbish anyway.

I accidently got pregnant at 36 and had my beautiful little girl. Accidentally fell again at 39 but sadly miscarried. Tried to get pregnant straight after my first AF after my missed miscarriage and fell first month. I'm now 40 and holding my 3 week old robustly healthy little boy.

Don't believe the hype. On an individual basis it means nothing!

Good luck to you all who are trying.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back