Don't let the NHS walk all over you - Place a complaint!!!

Cinnamon

Reaction score
Well I'm in Spain and it's not the NHS, but the Social Security, but it's the same and just as inneficient. This is my story:

The thing is I've been waiting for a month (I'm 8weeks pg), since I found out I was pg, to get seen to by the docs, only to find that when I went today, there was no doctor and they don't know when she'll be back because she's ill!!!! I understand people get ill and can't tell you before hand they'll be ill (I phoned to confirm my appt yesterday) but can they not get someone to take over??? Can they not phone and spare you the travel and the wait??? I took the day off work to go, hubby did too, only to find it was for nothing. Not only that, but they had a notice on the door saying "speak to administration office" so I had to wait for almost an hour for them to say "oh, she only called in sick this morning, there's no one to take over..." I answered "I don't care! If someone gets ill in the hotel I work in, they phone me, even wake me up, and ask me to come to work in a hurry to take over, and I'm only an extra worker, without a contract, but they do what they have to do to cover thieir service. And this is the NHS and you can't sort your doctors out for a morning shift mon-fri. It's ridiculous"

So I placed a complaint, explaining about not seeing any doctor yet, and it's my first pregnancy. I don't know what I'm supposed to do or anything. Plus I've taken time off work, hubby too, and I'm exposed to one hour of people coughing and spluttering and no solution. They said they'd call me when they have a doc, could be tomorrow, next week or whenever. (I have seen a private doc, but if I don't have money then what, I wouldn't even know the basics about folic acid or what I'm supposed to eat... I wouldn't even know if I'm truly pg, it's not ectopic, or what have you)

Makes me wonder if with the recession there are no jobs going, or if the problem is they're not willing to pay when there is work to be done.

Please ladies, don't let these things happen, place a complaint each and every time you feel you're not treated right. They're not late or don't have any excuses or mistakes when they have to take money from your wages are they??? They're fast enough to take money but not to do what they're supposed to do!!!
I'm soooo annoyed :grr:

i agree with the incompetence of people!.

Im now 9 weeks, Found out at 4!.. It irritates me that i havent seen a single doc yet!.. I would have thought they should confirm it or something.. and my booking in app isnt until the 21st when il be 10weeks!.

I mean its not quite the same situation as you.. but to ring the surgery and be told " o doctors dont really care about pregnant people. you see a midwife for that" i thought hmmmm lovely way to treat people!

But they do get paid a fair bit of money and have a stable job so I don't see how they can get away with these things. I can't go taking time off work for nothing, specially as I haven't told my boss I'm pg yet, and I don't want to tell until I'm 12 weeks pg.

I think there should be more check-ups more often and if they don't have enough docs, get more!!! There are tonnes that graduate every year!!!

Thanks for answering and I'd advise to go private if you can afford it and are worried. That's what I did, as I didn't have a clue on what I had to do, I'd been ill and taking meds in the first few weeks as I didn't know I was pregnant and I've bled also. It's just not good enough.

Sorry you had a rubbish experience but doctors are humans too. This wasn't the "NHS walking all over you" - it was the incompetency of one practice.

Sorry, I understand people can get ill, that's not what I'm annoyed about, I'm annoyed because I've had to wait 1 month, it's my first pregnancy and I didn't have a clue on what to do or not to do. I had to pay to make sure everything was ok and I don't think it's just one practice, they're all the same here, you get your appt for ages after you have a problem and they don't always treat you right. I had a flu, my job is to work with mentally challenged people, that also have other ilnesses asociated and are prone to catch any little infection we bring in. Well they said I didn't look ill, although I spent every night coughing like a dog, with a snotty nose and still they didn't want me to take time off work, even if my patients are at risk. This happened 2 of the 3 times I went to get seen to, I had loads of medicine and was pg (I didn't know) and my fever just wouldn't go.

I think they're generally incompetent and they should have substitutes because this is not the third world and people need to be seen when they need to be seen to! And the least they could have done is phone me, they I would have gone to work and so would have hubby. It's not so difficult to be considerate and they haven't even given me a solution, they'll call me whenever she gets better, so I'll prob have to take another day off. It's just not good enough. I do my job and they get someone to take over, simple as that. And I contribute to the Social Security so it is my right to be seen to.

I just want to add something to this. I went to my doctors last night and actually heard the receptionist calling people with appointments for the following day to advise them that the dcotor had rung in sick and could they reschedule their appointment for a later date or the next day with the relief doctor. I know there are bad things that happen on the NHS but it really does depend on the area you live. Each GP is responsible for their own budgets and procedures although they are governed by the department of health. Same with the hospitals, if the hospital is a foundation trust they are completely independent.

At the end of the day, it takes time to deal with complaints. Someone has to review them, reply to them, investigate etc. All of which time, could be better used. I'm not saying don't complain by any means, just keep it in perspective.

I for one believe that the NHS is pushed to it's limits and the vast majority of it's workers are very competant and caring individuals. They are understaffed yes and of course they are also human so mistakes happen. I feel like this thread could be seen as a tad unfair on those staff who always go the extra mile. Many of my friends have had babies under the NHS and cannot praise them enough especially when something goes wrong god forbid! And this is my first baby and so far I'm am extremely happy with the service I have received from the NHS. Only my opinion though so don't shoot me!!!!! Xxx

I can totally understand how you feel being pregnant for the first time, but pregnancy is not a medical condition and even though it is totally understanding that you were looking forward to this first appointment, from a clinical point of view, it wasn't urgent. They can't help a doctor falling ill, and they would have prioritised poorly patients to see someone else on that day over you.

it is totally normal not to get any treatment early in the pregnancy because there isn't much to be done at that stage especially when there is no reason to think there is anything wrong. I certainly don't think it warranted a complaint.

But I do remember the excitment and anxiety of being pregnant for the first time. You'll see after your 2nd or 3rd (if you go that way!), you'll me moaning that you have to go to your appointments!

This post has made me pretty angry. I agree with the 2 previous posts. The NHS does not run like a private organisation and on the whole, the NHS does a superb job. Ask someone who has cancer treatment or whose child is in intensive care.

I have had to attend many medical appointments (at 3 different hospitals acros the country) over the past few months and there wasn't single negative incident. My NHS consultant spent about 40 minutes with me - about the same as my private consultant. I am fortunate to be able to go private whenever I choose but I can honestly say the standard of advice and care is no different - things just get done quicker. My GP has said that I can call her whenever I need any advice because she knows what I have been through. I have seen how hard doctors in intensive care units fight to save the lives of babies. So yes, before encouraging others to stage a protest, some perspective is a good thing.

Pregnancy is not an illness and booking appointments don't usually take place until 7/8 weeks. The NHS website is full of info about what to do if you are pregnant.

I am not saying the NHS is perfect but much is out of the control of the actual medical staff. Please go easy. Imagine if we didn't have it. That would be much worse for you.

I STILL Havent been seen...
I wont be seen until Saturday, and thats at a drop in centre. I'll be nearly 11 weeks.
I was 8 weeks when I had my first appointment with DS

I think this is just the strain of a public healthcare system. I know in New Brunswick the doctors are completely overworked, and there are thousands of people without a family doctor (I was one of them for 2 years!) There is also the lack of competition as there is with private companies, so doctors don't have to 'work' to get your business. Here, I feel like the patient is "lucky" to get whatever care they receive, whereas when I was in the U.S. the doctors and hospitals were "lucky" to get your business.

I've been disappointed by the level of coverage I'm getting here, but I have never had a bad experience with any doctor I've seen so far. I think most of them do really try, but it's just difficult because of the nature of the system. I'm learning to accept it for what it is, and just be my own advocate, which I think every person should do. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but you should only pull that card when you really need it!

As someone whose partner works for the NHS, I naturally feel a bit defensive of the service. Yes, there are issues, just as with any organisation, but just remember those in other countries, like the US, who have to pay for the most basic of services and care that we take for granted.

Cinnamon, I do understand your concerns and it may be that your practice has some particular difficulties either with funding or staffing. The best course of action in this instance would be to write them a politely worded letter highlighting the problems you've experienced.

I must admit however that I was a little upset to read your comparison of our services to that of a 3rd-world country. I have worked in customer services for several years and it never fails to amaze me that people make this extremely inappropriate comment when something upsets them. Our services may be flawed at times, but at least we have them and they are readily accessible. Please bear this in mind when you've had a bad experience somewhere and remember how privileged we are to have so many wonderful things available for free. :flower:

After moving to the USA where you have to pay quite a lot of money for Health insurance to even see your gp, I think the NHS are doing an alright job considering. I was in the Hospital here for ONE night with a ruptured Ovarian Cyst and Dehydration and they billed me $7000...if my husband didnt have Health insurance we would have been in deep trouble, I feel pretty privelaged I can be in the USA and in Scotland and have healthcare in both.

I agree that the NHS are getting to much Flak, I learned that after I moved to the USA. The UK gave me so much when I was there, free Healthcare, great Schooling help and even though the NHS do have long waiting times they do a pretty grand job.

I saw a doc at 6 wks, and she did nothing bar say congrats and register the pregnancy. I then made an appt to see the midwife which will be at 10 wks.

I understand your frustration but there isn't much a GP will say at this stage that you can't find out for yourself on the internet. As I wasn't ill there wasn't much for her to do.

Being 8 weeks pregnant isn't exactly a priority for an understaffed GP surgery. Potentially there is plenty of time to get your pregnancy booked and start maternity care. I can understand that the surgery should have contacted their patients to inform them of cancelling their appointments to save thier time and money.

I might be seen as stubborn but I am someone that likes to do my job properly, as that is what I am paid for, and therefor expect the same from the rest of services. I am also paid by the govornment and still do my job and get someone to take over when I'm ill.

Again, I repeat if I didn't make it clear enough, that I understand people get ill, I even understand that they can't call in ill before actually being ill, but my appt was at 10:30 so they had enough time to tell the 8 people that were on the list including myself. I still think that is part of the administration job, just the same as I, as a "customer" call when I can't make it to an appt so they can give it to someone else.

I also repeat that I've had bleeding, no advice from any social security doc and it's my first pg. Of course it's not an ilness but if baby has problems because I haven't done the right thing in time then who's fault is it?? Mine? I'm not a doctor so how am I supposed to do everything I'm supposed to do? Checking on internet? Yes it says some things, but not everything for each individual person.

Yet again, this is my first appt and I had to take time off work, and hubby too, and I can't do that too often for nothing.

I have not insulted the docs in the service, as I don't know how hard each one works, I'm upset with the service provided and that hasn't changed.

Plus I don't even know about the NHS, only what I've read here, I'm talking about the spanish Social Security, but I have had a few bad experiences and all in a row and I'm sick of it. I am not an animal for them to take one look at me and say "oh, you don't look ill"... Check my history, I am not a person to take time off work for fun, I do it only if I feel really ill, like that time with the flu after 3 years without taking time off work!!!

Anyhow, my experience doesn't matter, I still think if you feel you're being mistreated or unattended you should place a complaint. If you don't, things stay as they are as they think everything is well and they keep employing less people with more work. I think it's the only way to make them see they need more staff and more efficiency in certain aspects.

Last but not least, my letter was not illmannered, I exposed what I felt was not good enough and also the waiting was terrible around a lot of ill people. Maybe you guys aren't worried about the flu, but I am and I'm not vaccinated. Who will suffer if I get it is me and not them, and therefor they should avoid it. And I insist, I pay for my social security with a part of my wages monthly (a whopping 14%) and therefor I expect the attention I'm entitled to, no excuses.

So you are 8 weeks and had some bleeding? I had bleeding at 6 weeks+5 so I went to the emergency room (6 hour wait, but this is Canada so that is expected), I ended up going in for an ultrasound the next day to confirm. Is that an option where you live? It's hard to wait but it is worth it, incase of an irregular pregnancy.

Here in British Columbia, you don't see the doctor until 18-20 weeks for the FIRST time, and they won't give you the H1N1 shot until then either. Funny how different places can be.

I think your post has caused confusion. I thought you were referring to the NHS as that is the title of your thread. As much as people complain about the NHS in the UK, on the whole, we do respect it as an institution as evidenced by the responses. I can't comment on other national health systems.

Anyway, I do hope your pregnancy progresses happily and healthily. I do understand your concerns. :hugs:

So you are 8 weeks and had some bleeding? I had bleeding at 6 weeks+5 so I went to the emergency room (6 hour wait, but this is Canada so that is expected), I ended up going in for an ultrasound the next day to confirm. Is that an option where you live? It's hard to wait but it is worth it, incase of an irregular pregnancy.

Here in British Columbia, you don't see the doctor until 18-20 weeks for the FIRST time, and they won't give you the H1N1 shot until then either. Funny how different places can be.

In BC you can get the unadjuvented H1N1 in first trimester, I've had mine. The province has actually started with commercials to promote vaccination, lol.

Where abouts in BC are you? I think practices vary by dr's office here as I've seen both my dr and my midwife and I'm 8 weeks. I think I'd go mad if I didn't see anyone until 18-20 weeks, you have a lot more patience than me!

It must vary, I got rejected in Surrey! Maybe I should go to PoCo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->