doppler- opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Siyren, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Siyren

Siyren Guest

im still in two minds as to whether to buy a doppler or not,
    as some have said its saved both theirs and there baby's lives (i know its very rare)
    but i also know i would worry if i couldnt find a heart beat, even though i know at this stage that baby can hide
    thanks

2. Kunama

Kunama Mummy to 3 Princesses

I wouldn't be without mine, I have an Angelsounds dopler. I find it so relaxing to hear bumps heartbeat, especially as its early days, it helps remind me its all real. We managed to record the heartbeat on my laptop (finally!) and I will be recording it onto disc to slip inside babys scrapbook.
    I think they are great fun, and would say go for it, just tell yourself before you start that if you don't find the heartbeat it doesn't mean there is something worng, just LO playing peak a boo.

3. Mary Jo

Mary Jo Mummy to Adam and Joel

mine has, without question, saved my sanity. I didn't get it till about 18 weeks and have never had major difficulty finding my boy. sometimes I find him right away, sometimes I look for a few mins and only hear a faint echo, but it's him.

would not be without it.

4. babytots

babytots Well-Known Member

hello hunni your trust pregnancy guru here lmao!!!!!

i love my doppler and honestly don't know what i would do without it definately something i would recommend.

i have a bestman one but also had a hi bebe one with charlotte and both are really good. you can find these on ebay but they are quite expensive. usually about 30-40 for second hand ones (but its ok as when you dont need it you can re-sell as they hold their value well)

the angelsounds one is good value but i heard bad reviews when pg with charlotte and thats when i opted for one off ebay.

theres only been a couple of times i havent found the heartbeat and that was due to the way i was sat/laid as soon as i moved and laid really flat i found it. though it is worrying when you cant find it i do hear the placenta and also little kicks or punches from baby on it.

anyways theres my 2p worth lol. x

5. Siyren

Siyren Guest

ah my pregnancy guru, i do love you honey, your always here!!
    yeah just discussed it with my partner and he's on the same page as me, we're gonna look into getting one properly x

6. babytots

babytots Well-Known Member

oh goody if you do i would recommend this one as if you dont mind paying a bit extra becuase as soon as the h/b is picked up it counts the beats per minute. unlike mine where i have to use a bloody stopwatch and count them myself.plus you know you cant mistake your own for your babies (i have done on several occasions lol).

what would you do without me eh?! x

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L-K-Hi-Bebe-...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

7. Angel2Fire

Angel2Fire Well-Known Member

I've got one, I don't use it much now as I feel the baby kicking but I found it really reassuring in the early stages.

As long as your aware that it can be difficult to find a heartbeat and try not to panic if you don't find it straightaway....

Sometimes I couldn't find it and would rest for a bit and then try again half an hour later and eventually I would find it.

8. first alien

first alien Well-Known Member

i have an angel sounds and it was great over the first few weeks. lately though i haven't been able to find him/her. i'm not one that worries as i aahave known others. i told my midwife that i had one and she practically told me off!! some peopl can become crazy with them.
    if you do get one dont look for lo every day and dont worry if you cant find him/her.

have fun if you do get one
    x

9. 10thSept

10thSept Mummy to one

I have one and love it
    I use it to keep me sane.
    Mine is hi bebe and it has a screen which tells me the beats per min. For me that's useful because I only ever hear a few beats and then she runs off, so I wouldn't be able to count the beats per min very easily (I have an anterior placenta and so blame it on that!)
    I have been able to find the beat almost every time since about 14 weeks.
    I paid the extra for teh LCD display one as I bought it on ebay 2nd hand and intend to sell it on ebay again, I think they pretty much hold their value.

My MW also had a fit when she heard I was using one - she said it's not harmful to the baby but would I really know if something is wrong? Errr, no, but if I didn't have one, would that be any different????? I'm not going to the doc more or less because of it, so it really makes no difference except that it keeps me sane.
    I really don't get her point at all.

10. PrincessSoph

PrincessSoph Well-Known Member

I loved mine, I hardly use it any more as I feel LO moving a lot. I rented mine, its only £9.99 a month so you can have it for as long or as little as you want.

11. Aunty E

Aunty E Mummy to Mog and Teddy

I couldn't live without mine, although I got one with an lcd display and it is difficult to see (as I'm generally lying down) and not all that accurate actually. I just time mine. You only need 15 seconds worth of HB and I always get that, even if she runs off. I have an anterior placenta too, and don't feel her move all that much. If I didn't have the doppler I'd be insane by now. Or living in an ultrasound clinic. I find that the best way to get a HB consistently is to lie down, and put the sensor a lot lower than you think you need to have it, I generally find the HB by my bikini line.

12. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

I don't have one and I have never felt the need for one. And I'm still sane (just) :D