Doppler, yes or no?

Mrs G

Lily and Tommy's mummy
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
So I completely understand the warnings of getting a Doppler and that mw's hate them but just wondered who's got one, who would recommend it, or not?
Thanks
Xx

I didn't have one in my last pregnancy and don't regret not buying one. I know several people who have used them and found them to be a great help. I think its personal choice! From what I understand you have to understand you may not always find the heartbeat and to try to limit how often you use it. I had thought about buying one this time around so I can record my own heartbeat to be able to play back to the baby after he/she is born. X

I purchased one only because I had some spotting weeks 6, 7 and 10 so the doppler is more of a reassurance that babys HB is still going strong. I got the sonoline B on ebay within 3 days.
I've listened once or twice a week since. ..I love it! :)

I purchased one only because I had some spotting weeks 6, 7 and 10 so the doppler is more of a reasreassurancethat babys HB is still going strong. I got the sonoline B on ebay within 3 days.
I've listened once or twice a week since. ..I love it! :)

Thanks. That's the one I was looking at. How many wks were you when you first used it? Xx

I love mine. My DH and DD get to listen in and hear bubs which is just lovely. I first found the HB at 10+4, that was the first time I tried. It took me about half hour though. I think as long as you are relaxed about it, realise that it takes some practice to use it and that baby can hide really well sometimes so you might not always get it - then they are great. Its especially nice for partners or other children to feel close to the baby.

Just about 10. It took 20 minutes to find the little bean..so frustrating... Bean was right underneath the placental "HB" so I had to angle it just so....sneaky little thing :haha:
I jus used it last night and bean was more in the middle of my uterus (which i hear is a good thing)

I'd say go for it if you know you won't be one of those people who freak out if they dont find it, up to 16 weeks midwives won't look for HB as it's pretty hard to find, but some people find it as early as 8 weeks.
I bought one, but only at 18 weeks because I have an anterior placenta and don't feel regular movements, and I found the HB really easily at that time.

xx

Love mine.
Luckily I know exactly where to put it as it is the only place in my tummy where it feels like a label sticking in (wierd analogy but those who enjoy clothes shopping will get this) however sometimes it is quieter and then comes back louder in a matter of minutes. Assume it is wriggling at that point!!

If you are having trouble, relax and keep trying.if nothing after a little while, try again another time of day. I pick up best after food and after a toilet trip. Close your eyes too as this may help focus your hearing better.

Just make sure you actually use it for its intended use and NOT to use to compare gurgling bellies and heart beats between you and your OH. Which is obviously what I have heard as advice and never done this myself. Lol.
:haha:

I used the Sonoline B with my first two pregnancies and I loved it! I thought we were done having kids so I sold it. But I've just recently asked her if I can borrow it. :haha:

Love mine.
Luckily I know exactly where to put it as it is the only place in my tummy where it feels like a label sticking in (wierd analogy but those who enjoy clothes shopping will get this) however sometimes it is quieter and then comes back louder in a matter of minutes. Assume it is wriggling at that point!!

If you are having trouble, relax and keep trying.if nothing after a little while, try again another time of day. I pick up best after food and after a toilet trip. Close your eyes too as this may help focus your hearing better.

Just make sure you actually use it for its intended use and NOT to use to compare gurgling bellies and heart beats between you and your OH. Which is obviously what I have heard as advice and never done this myself. Lol.
:haha:

Don't need a doppler to hear dh's gurgling belly!!! :wacko:
Xx

Thanks for all your advice. Think I'll order the sonoline b later. Am on Amazon prime trial atm so it'll come tomorrow!

I figure it's cheaper than reassurance scans which I might end up booking (and booking....). Xx

I had one with all 3 pregnancies. This time around its been a nightmare. Found baby at 8+3... haven't found it since and done nothing but worry and panic. I won't be using it again.

I bought one when I was past 20 weeks (Sonoline B)... used it maybe 3 or 4 times. I preferred just hearing it at the appointments, since it gave me something to look forward to! It was always difficult to locate her heartbeat though; even the OB couldn't find it until 16 weeks.

It's a personal preference - you could always buy one and see if you're one of the ladies that enjoys using them. For me, I don't think it was worth it and won't be using one with any other pregnancies. :flower:

I'm split whether they are a good idea even though I have one. I picked up LOs HB at 10+6 on Sunday. It was very reassuring as I had been experiencing coming and going of symptoms. That said, with DD, she had an anterior placenta and I really panicked on many occasions when I couldn't find the HB.

Basically they are fab if you find the HB, and terrible if you don't - even though the likelihood everything is fine in either instance xx

Yes, its very helpful. But don't try it before 10 weeks.
Some women can get heartbeats before 10 weeks, but that is fairly rare.
I have 2 babies in my belly and didn't find a heartbeat until 11 weeks.

i would definitely recommend a sonoline B Doppler .. ordered mine on ebay came with the gel & batteries for $40 & was here in 2 or 3 days. i heard my babys heartbeat at an appointment with my doctor at 10 weeks 6 days. my Doppler came the next day & i tried finding it & kept mistaking the heartbeat for my own or the placenta or whatever. it took me a couple days 2 find it. i tried for around 10 minutes or less the first day & tried for around 5 mins the next day. but when u find it it is unmistakable. its fast & sounds different than ur own heartbeat & the swishing placenta. ever since i found it once i don't have trouble finding it anymore (i found it lower than i thought it would be) if u do get one look up videos on youtube of people using their sonoline b Doppler .. that's what helped me a lot. its just so reassuring hearing ur baby's heart beating. & ur at a good time 2 find it i think it said ur a little over 10 weeks... anyways good luck!!

It's really a personal choice. You just can't let not finding the heartbeat panic or worry you, which might be hard to do!

With DD, I didn't find her until 15+3. This one I found at 8+6, but I also knew more what I was looking/listening for, and weigh less than I did with DD. Plus this one might have just been easier to find. I also have the sonoline B. I did see that you are going to order one :) I will say you can't really go by the LCD readout for the heart rate. It's possible that it can also be picking up other sounds so it can change what the LCD says (higher or lower). Sometimes I could only hear the heartbeat in the background. It'd be very faint, but other noises were more dominant, so the heartbeat didn't even register on the LCD.

Also, the other important thing is (though I'm sure you know :)) that a home doppler cannot be used diagnostically. If you're worried about something, still call you're provider. I had bleeding Sunday. I used the doppler while I was waiting for my midwife to call (even though I knew she'd send us to the ER, I still wanted to go ahead from her in case my insurance said anything about it). Even though I got the heartbeat, I still had no problem hauling my ass to the ER!

It's for reassurance if you have anxiety (like I do) or just to here now and then, but it definitely doesn't tel you if things are okay if something needs checked out.

I love mine. With patience I can normally find it from the end of 8 weeks.

Hey how early were you guys able to hear the heartbeat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->