Dopplers...Impossible to hear baby's heartbeat at 16 weeks????

midwife first listened to my LO's heartbeat at 16week and i bought a doppler and can certainly tell the difference between my own and LO's. its much much faster.
ignore her and make a complaint, i would.

I had an appointment with my MW at 13+5 & she found the heartbeat just fine! The stand in MW sounds like she's talking rubbish tbh.

Aww thanks so much girls for your opinions/experiences....

You have all made me feel so much better, its so annoying when people (especially 'professional' people!) make you doubt yourself!!

The thing is, there was another woman there, she took my blood pressure and she was agreeing with the midwife - not sure if she was a nurse/assistant or maybe a midwife also?? When she said the baby was behind the pelvic bone, I said that I thought baby moved up at 12 weeks and the assistant said it moves up very slowly so you still wouldn't be able to detect heartbeat. I was gobsmacked - well more in shock I think, I was wondering how so many people can be lyin if they were right, as I've read about loads of women using dopplers etc from 9 weeks+....

I walked out of there feeling a right fraud thinking we'd all been oohing and ahhing over my own bloody heartbeat!!!lol!:blush:

I appreciate all your comments ladies and am mentally giving that midwife the finger!!!:rofl:

:hugs:

Liz
x

I appreciate all your comments ladies and am mentally giving that midwife the finger!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I can't say i blame you. But console yourself with the fact that she's either stupid or very very stupid! :rofl:

My Ob/Gyn has been showing me the heartbeat since week 12. Its harder at home, granted, but so possible its not even funny. They start looking for it around week 8 in Canada! Not that they always find it, maybe on you super skinny types (I say that with love, by the way.) but an experienced hand will be able to find it no problem around 12 weeks.
What a cow! I hope you never have to see her again.

Blimey where was she trained!!!

Have you heard a HB on doppler? I see no links in page one (soz if there is one on pages after) .... It sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71ZOqJHXNc

That was with my Caitlin 9.4 weeks have to say though at 14 or 15 or around I have forgot I showed my MW where it was *doh*

That is ridiculous... how shocking that this woman is a practicing midwife.

You have definitely been hearing your LO heartbeat. My midwife first used a doppler on me at 12 weeks (she has said we might not hear it ) and we heard it fine and I get it tested at every visit. The books even say you can hear the heartbeat from 11 weeks onwards sometimes a little tricky that early but for most people its still there to be heard fine!

Poor you hearing that and making you feel so crappy. How awful.

You should totally put a complaint in about this woman. Other pregnant mums dont need to be treated this way. Or speak to your general midwife about it when shes back from her vacation.

Utter rubbish hun ...
My doppler has a lcd screen wich tells you what the heartbeat is , If my heartbeat is 155 bpm iam going to worry and see a DR asap lol .
Sorry she was an awfull midwife hun , She obviously knows nothing ,As my midwife asked me to make an appointment next week to listen to babys heatbeat in her office . xxxxxx .

What a horrid midwife to laugh at you!!

I'd complain next time you go, she cant treat people like that!!
Check you pulse as your doing it then you'll know for sure, the midwife listened to LO at 15 weeks and said it can be hard to pick up but she found it straight away.

I bought a doppler from ebay, its the best thing i ever bought! I listen evey night before bed, ive had it since 15 weeks and heard it fine.
:hug:

I've just come back from my 16 week appointment (in such a bad mood!) with a stand in Midwife (mines on holiday), I asked if we could listen to little ones heartbeat and she said you won't be able to hear it as the baby is still behind the pelvic bone, I told her that some people can hear the heartbeat from 9 weeks and she laughed!!! She said the dopplers are a falicy and I'll have to wait until my 25 week app to listen to it.....

I have bought a doppler and have been using it for about 3 weeks, thinking we were listenening to LO as the heartbeat was really fast. I feel such a total fool as my family and friends have heard it! The midwife said it was probably my own heartbeat I was hearing. God - how embarrassing....

Has anyone else used a doppler and is the midwife right??

I'd appreciate any comments or opinions, thanks.....

:hugs:

Liz
x

Your stand in midwife is erm...full of shite:hissy:

My midwife has been listening to mine on her doppler since 10wks and I've had the same in previous 5 pregnancies. When I've been earlier than about 14wks she's often warned me that sometimes she might not be able to hear it but always was able to get it:happydance:

The only exception was with Abi...I had an anterior placenta (at the front of my womb) and it was hard for midwife to find.

I'm sure you have been hearing your baby and anyway you can't get yours and baby's heartbeat muddled as baby's is abou 140-160bpm and yours is about 70-80bmp

i think it just depends on the person, i mean i heard my baby from about 11 weeks but ive seen some people post on here that havent heard till about 20 weeks hun. sometimes it takes me ages to find my babys beat now she hides ha x

That woman is crazy! I heard my son's heartbeat at 11 weeks loud and clear (and fast!). I can't believe she would tell you that! Im not even a midwife and even I know that!

Thanks so much you guys for all your responses! I was thinking today and I realised that I've just jumped straight into 2nd tri...hope you don't mind!! :hugs:

I used my doppler last night and I don't know whether it has happened to any of you but I picked up my heartbeat in the background AND LO's!!!
Wish the cow of a midwife could've heard THAT!!! :rofl:
Really does sound like a train...so I'm thinking BOY!! But I have my 20 week scan in 4 weeks and am going to try to find out.....unless LO has its legs crossed!!

Liz
xx

I heard mine at 12 weeks with my crappy $50 doppler......i thnk that MW was on something. Sorry you had such a tough time!

lol i hate midwifes that are like that. My midwife used a dopler when i was around 15 or 16 weeks pregnant and then again at 19 weeks and my babies heartbeat was unmistakeable

Hey hun, i just went to my midwife this morning im 16 weeks pregnant and heard my baby heart beat perfectly im so sorry that you had such a crappy time and your midwife should no better. dont no why she said that totally not true xxx i hope everything goes well in your pregnancy xxxx

As others have said your midwife was talking rubbish. I had a small scare last week and went into the the early pregnancy ward in hospital. The midwife listened to the baby's heartbeat and said this proved all was well. I was 14 weeks hope this is some help x

I heard heartbeat at 12 +2 days or so on, as soon as I got my doppler basically. I mistook my heartbeat for babies but realised it was only 90bpm (Easy mistake when you don't know what you're listening for). But I found babies which was a fast galloping noise and was around 164bpm (count it for 15 seconds then x4 for bpm), I've heard of midwives not listening at your booking appointment but never at 16 weeks. I have my appointment next week and I know she's lovely so should be ok.

She is definitely wrong. I know 100% that I heard my baby's heartbeat from 9 weeks. She's the idiot, not you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->