Down syndrome testing

JJordaan

Reaction score
Today was my 13 week appointment with OB. It went swimmingly. Our little minx was flexing, wiggling,hiccuping and showing off! We managed to see a coochee too! So team pink. Yay! The OB checked bub over top to bottom. From the entire skull to size of neck,saw nose profile,counted arms,legs,fingers, organs etc. So serious check and reported nothing out of the ordinary. After our appointment the nurse was very serious about wanting me to go for down syndrome testing via a blood test in two week's. I do know all the risk factors and percentages with age etc. So, when i said we had decided not to do it she was completely shocked and went on to say another 3 times that i must reconsider it. Thing is. Whether bub has it or another form of something, im not going to abort it. We are given a bub for a reason. I feel after seeing her (bub) pass all the other tests today so well that it reassures me a bit more. My aunts brother just had a bub. They did the downs test and it came back with a high reading. Thousands of rands later and having tests redone in America it was confirmed baby does not have it. She was born a complete beauty! So im totally on the fence on the whole thing!

Anybody else also have pressure from medical professions about the testing?

I wouldnt let them pressure you into it. You already said it wouldnt change anything for you, so I personally wouldnt do it. I have never had the testing done with my 2 pregnancies and dont intend to with any future one either, but its a personal choice.

Woah. What! My midwife was amazing and asked me if we would consider not keeping the baby if we found out it had DS and I said absolutely not. I love this baby with all my heart and I will be welcoming him/her into the world regardless. She then suggested we didn't bother having he test done. (we'd already agreed not to have it anyway)
I'm so sorry to hear your nurse was trying to convince you otherwise. We have decided not to have any genetic testing at all. Congratulations on a lovely baby girl and sending love x

I must admit i was surprised. Shes usually such a sweet gal. She wasn't nasty just persistent. Ob wasnt phased. He said its my choice. Hes such a fab guy.

These are our miracle babies and we are so much more protective than they even know LOL

Just another thought on the testing. My Cousin had a wonderful little boy who happens to have DS. For her the testing allowed her prepare for his birth and rule out seriously heart conditions before birth. She told everyone what was happening and when he was born she got all the congratulations etc because everyone knew that's what she wanted. A friend had a baby with DS diagnosed at birth and she felt she couldn't celebrate his birth as much because it was such a shock and instead of congratulations she got sympathy. Testing doesn't have to be about the decision to abort or not but how best to prepare. That is why I will get the test. I think medical profession need discuss this with patients not just will you abort or not when talking about testing. ( I have no judgement either way)

Yes we had thought about this. I think it comes down to the sort of person you are (midwife agreed) some will need time to process things and explain. Whereas for me I take everything as it comes and accept it as destiny. I think when you refuse the testing you are still aware it can happen and know you will love and celebrate anyway. Well for me that is.
Also here uk. We only get a 'chance' e.g. 1:230 which will then be considered either high risk or low risk and need further testing. But you could get a low risk number say 1:670 And still have a baby with DS.
Every parent needs to do what best suits them. It must be hard when either mother or father wants testing but other doesn't.
Sending love and peace for all our pregnancies x

Yes we had thought about this. I think it comes down to the sort of person you are (midwife agreed) some will need time to process things and explain. Whereas for me I take everything as it comes and accept it as destiny. I think when you refuse the testing you are still aware it can happen and know you will love and celebrate anyway. Well for me that is.
Also here uk. We only get a 'chance' e.g. 1:230 which will then be considered either high risk or low risk and need further testing. But you could get a low risk number say 1:670 And still have a baby with DS.
Every parent needs to do what best suits them. It must be hard when either mother or father wants testing but other doesn't.
Sending love and peace for all our pregnancies x

Spot on hun! Couldnt agree with you more! Both hubby and i are on the same page. Completely at ease with our decision now. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"