Downs screening?

Nope, I signed off on it - I didn't want the test. There's no way I'd terminate my pregnancy and my age puts me in low risk as well as I have no relatives with down syndrome- which decreases my chances even more. I just don't see a reason to worry myself.

I said no.

I couldn't really tell you why, I just felt I didn't want it.

I know my friend had it done but she didn't tell me the results and I didn't ask.

I think there are arguments both ways but my decision was not to do it.

Not having the screening, had to decide yesterday at my scan, we have decided against as im young and healthy, also if it came back high risk we would make ourselfs ill with worry possibly over nothing. but sometimes its better to be safe than sorry, its a very difficult one to call but we are not going for it.

xxx

OH and i talked about it and we're not having it.

I had it done, when I went for my first scan at 13 weeks, they asked me if I wanted it done and sort of pushed me into it, although it was done as a blood test. I got the results back today in a letter and it came back as low risk. I don't see why they were so pushy about it though when I'm in the lowest risk catagory? Even my midwife got funny about it when I said I wasn't really interested in having it done!

I just said yes, without really thinking about it. I dunno what the risk is or anything but just thought the more tests the better, right?

Plus apprently being healthy and not having it in your family has nothing to do with it. It's just a random thing which can happen to anyone, so i thought i'd rather know than not know.

I'm going for a nf scan in a few minutes I'm dead nervous, taking DD and the grandma's with me for moral support. fingers crossed.

got back, had a low risk, something like 1 on 1677.

so glad I'm not the only one! A friend of mine scared me the other day she recently had a baby and asked me if I was having the screening when I said no cause my baby is my baby whether it has DS or not she went mad and told me I was selfish and also anyone who has a baby with issues is selfish inflicting 'it' upon the world!! Hence why I raised the subject on here, as you can imagine it upset me to think my friend has that attitude especially if I ever had a baby that was ill in any way, it would be nice to know you have the support of your friends and family!

I just said yes, without really thinking about it. I dunno what the risk is or anything but just thought the more tests the better, right?

Plus apprently being healthy and not having it in your family has nothing to do with it. It's just a random thing which can happen to anyone, so i thought i'd rather know than not know.

The only way to know for sure your kid doesn't have it is amnio. Other than that you can have a NT scan and the serum test which will give you a percentage risk and are most accurate when you have both. My youngest has down syndrome and this time around I had the serum and nt scan and it came back... I'll not know for sure until September with this pregnancy tho.

needle in the belly test????? what? it didnt say that in my booklet about downs screening nor did my sister have that?

needle in the belly test????? what? it didnt say that in my booklet about downs screening nor did my sister have that?
It's called an amniocentesis and they only do it if your other tests show that you have a high risk of having a ds baby, they take babies cells from amniotic fluid and grow them in a lab and this gives a definite yes or no answer but there is a small chance of mc with this test <1%, don't panic as not everyone needs one and some don't want one due to risk of mc

Iv not got to that stage yet but when it came to it i think me and the OH would have a proper discussion about it. My brother is expecting his first with his wife next month and they were high risk so had the amniocentesis. it came back clear but they didnt know what they would do if it had come back positive (she already has two children but they dont consider themselves in a position to be able to offer the care it would have required), and that is after having two MC's

I just assumed you had it automatically. I had my booking appointment on Sunday - scan and blood tests are next week and the midwife just said 'You're having the downs screening yes?' so I didn't really think about it.

Have tried to discuss it with OH but he's such an optimist he's not even willing to think about it until we've got the results. I've always assumed I'd have a termination if there were any issues but now I'm pregnant I'm not so sure...

Im having it done purely so i can be prepared if it is high risk. i will still love my baby even if it has 2 heads with purple stripes, but i would want to be able to read up and get myself ready for life ahead, and be the best mum i could be.

I'm not having it for the reasons most of the others have said. It doesn't change anything, I will still love the baby in the same way and I wouldn't consider not having him/her.

Fairydust, my jaw hit the keyboard when i read your post. I can understand some people suggesting that in some circumstances it might not be right to bring a child into the world with a very, very poor quality of life, but to say that you 'shouldn't inflict them on society' OMG, who does she think she is? I know you said she's a friend, but with friends like that who needs enemies? :hug: Sometimes people's true colours really do surprise you :shock:

I do wonder if I've done the right thing, as my friends baby had severe difficulties when born - her osophagous wasn't connected to the stomach, she was in hospital for 18 weeks, has had one heart op, still feeds through a tube at 9 months old, needs a major heart op at 18-24 months, and has an issue with her spine which will manifest itself in her early teens - and she is the most adorable, contented and good natured baby of any of friend's children. Her mum had several scans, and was monitored because she was so big, they knew there was a possibility of something being 'not quite right' but none of it was picked up on scans, and none of the possibilities were outlined to them.

Yes they would have preferred to have known there little girl was going to be in hospital for nearly 5 months and treatment throughout her life, but they've managed and I hope if it comes to it and my baby has some form of difficulty I will too.

i am having the blood screening test and a NT scan ...i think i want to know if something was happening to my baby so i could be prepare as a parent as what to come...so first blood test done on May 23th and first scan on June 2 and i think after that i have one more blood tests between 15 weeks and 20 weeks...

im thinking i'll have the bloods and then try and see wher i go from there, due to my own disability i know i wouldnt be able to provide the life long care a child with downs so im soo torn,

I didnt bother - because even if it did come back as a possibility, I just didnt fancy putting myself through that stress worry and everything that followed for something that isn't 100% accurate in the first place.

Im having the blood tests, I had it with my son as well

Its not that I would abort the baby, its just so I could be prepared for the posibility

I have a niece with downs syndrome, but her mums blood tests showed low risk so who knows how good the test is anyway

im thinking i'll have the bloods and then try and see wher i go from there, due to my own disability i know i wouldnt be able to provide the life long care a child with downs so im soo torn,

I completely understand how you feel. I have my own disability too and I am very concerned. In fact, my NT scan last week didn't go well and I am awaiting the results of my CVS but it is not looking good at all. We are devastated.

As a person with a disability, I have the first hand of how we are treated by the society and my own disability isn't even visible! My DH's cousin has Downs Syndrome and he is so cut off from the society.

I wish you all the best with pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->