downs syndrome - a positive angle

:hugs: Dizzy77....I'm glad your daughter is happy and healthy, I'm sure you're a fab mum, you certainly sound like one. Look forward to seeing more of you:kiss:

thanks hevz, there always seems to be more people highlighting the problems with our babies than telling their good points and that at the end of the day they're our gorgeous babies. i know that if we were given the choice again we wouldn't change a thing about her.

i've just read the kellehampton and you're right about it making me cry. Her two girls are beautiful

THey are Dizzy, and the photos and the words and all of it. I love it all. Bless them

This is a great post :flower:. My youngest sis has downs syndrome and i can tell you i wouldnt be the person i am today without her in my life. Everyone who meets her loves her to bits, shes the sweetest girl and the most crabbit at times:haha:. She has battled a few health problems in the past but everyday shes here with us is a blessing and i am proud to call her my SISTER.
I declined the downs screening too as no matter what i would cope. I seen on a thread here a few days ago a women scared about being high risk saying she could never have a child like that:growlmad:. Some people dont realise they have been specially choosen for that baby, that baby choose them for parents. Obviously i know some people cant and dont have their babies and i respect that too. But please have more off an understanding of kids with downs its not a life sentence:flower:. Ps I hope i havent offended anyone x x

i agree completely, it's all to do with the fear of the unknown, i don't blame people for being worried when they don't know what to expect. my friend had a little girl exactly a week after my little girl was born and although my girl is behind physically, she is ahead of little ones her own age mentally. She even has a teacher who calls every couple of weeks and she is amazed by how crafty she is getting ( she uses her cute smile to her own advantage some times). i'm glad i joined this site last night, it's great to hear positive stories :wacko:

Hi Dizzy, I am in NI too and my youngest son has Downs. He was 6 in March. He too was diagnosed after birth.

I have to say, although it is different, I don't find bringing up a child with Downs much different to bringing up a child without it. I think it is the sort of thing no-one thinks they can cope with until they have to, and then you just get on with it. I don't feel like some amazing parent, and I am not. I am just a Mum, the same as everyone else who loves their children to bits, the Downs is irrelevant really.

What a lovely post! We have declined all tests again as we did with our boys. We want and love our baby regardless of any little extras xx

so its taken me a while to decide where to post this and just how to say it all. think its about time i took the plunge now... i don't want to scare or upset anyone by posting this. just hoping to raise some awareness.

there have been a lot of posts about tests for downs syndrome and other genetic syndromes on BnB and i have to say, i've been pleasantly suprised by most peoples positivity surrounding the subject.

I am step mum to a lovely 3 year old girl who has downs syndrome. she is my little ray of sunshine. no matter how crap i am feeling, she always makes me smile. she cannot walk yet and she only says a few words but all she needs to do is smile and my heart melts. she has just learnt to say my name and she is saying it over and over again. its is the sweetest thing! everyone who meets her instantly falls in love with her and she changes everyones opinion of downs syndrome. she starts nursery in september and me, her dad and her mum couldn't be more proud.
yes, she is developmentally behind for her age but we have no doubt that she will reach all of her milestones. these milestones might be a little different to children who don't face challenges like her but they are just as important.

of course, i did not carry her for 9 months and was not there to be told she had downs and so i will never fully understand how her mum and dad felt. i know they grieved for the little girl they thought they were having but now they wouldn't change her for the world. shes is amazing.

there is a stigma attached to downs syndrome and by posting this, i hope to highlight that it doesn't mean the end of the world. i know some ladies out there are getting high risk on their tests for downs and i know it must be devastating. it doesn't mean the child will have downs, but if they do there are positive stories out there.

i really hope i haven't offended anyone by posting this. pregnancy is a time for excitement and i don't want to spoil this for anyone. i just feel that downs deserves some positive press!

check out the downs syndrome association website for lots of really good info

again, sorry if i have upset anyone

:hug:

i completely agree with this thread.
my little cousin was born with downs syndrome and a hole in her heart and my auntie and uncle were devastated, it took us all a while to come to term with it. but she is such an amazing little person and she should not be labelled in my opinion.
she is coming up to 5 now, is in stream line school and has started talking recently. she is an absolute like monkey, always running around and copying her big brother (sometimes not a good thing) -she is completely adorable though and would get away with anything.
she is doing so so well and has come on in leaps and bounds and done way better than doctors expected her too.
she has needed help- speech therapist, lots of stimulating activity to help her development but at the end of the day my little girl needs that because of her epilepsy, these things happen.
i have no doubt that she will go on to lead a happy, healthy life.
:thumbup:

p.s
i do understand there is different levels of downs syndrome, i am not commenting on everyone, only my story from what i know :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->