Dr. Couldn't Find Heartbeat with Doppler

EleanoirRigby

Reaction score
I went in today for a check up (13 weeks) and my doctor just couldn't find a hearbeat. He tried for so long and just couldn't find it. He said my uterus is tilted backwards and that it's still early, he doesn't think I've miscarried since I've had no bleeding. He didn't schedule an ultrasound, just another appointment to try in June for another Doppler heartbeat. I'm trying to trust him & not worry but I feel helpless, utterly helpless. :cry:

Aw hun, he never should have even tried to find a heartbeat with the doppler this early. It's very difficult to find it this early, and can cause so much unnecessary worry!

Please stay hopeful and don't let this cause any more worry!

At 12 weeks, your uterus is just above your pelvic bone. It can be very difficult to find fetal heart tones then, but it is standard to check any time after 12 weeks during prenatal visits. He was not wrong to try and was smart to hold off on the ultrasound, as it can cause unnecessary exposure to your baby.

You should be a few weeks from quickening, which is when you start to feel the baby move. That combined with the rise of your fundal height (the length between your mons pubis and the top of your uterus) can be reassuring too.

I would say, try taking a photo of your bump each week and compare the growth. It'll be fun and reassuring to you. I've had trouble finding heart tones at times too, and the babies were fine on most occasions. It's down right scary for you and your doctor. But no bleeding, cramping and other signs of mc are all great signs.

Best wishes to you and your baby <3

I don't know why Dr's try with a Doppler and then just leave you hanging if they cannot find it. I would have demanded a scan then for reassurance. I think it's ridiculous that they just expect you to wait. I'm sorry - I'm sure everything's fine. Any way you can get a scan done for peace of mind?

:hugs:

My OB couldn't find my daughter's heartbeat on a doppler until 16 weeks - she was such a stubborn baby! (still is) Instead I got a quick ultrasound.

Can you call them back and ask if they'd do one just for reassurance? Or are there any private businesses that offer ultrasound services? I know here there's a place that starts at 8 weeks for women that don't mind paying out of pocket for extra scans, and it's reasonably priced.

I bet all is well, good luck! :hugs:

My daughter couldn't be heard until 16 weeks either and then kept playing hide and seek. She didn't have a heartbeat at my 24 week check up so had to go to the maternity unit and sure enough she shifted enough to get her first go there. At least it put my mind at east.

That's imo too early to be using the doppler hun, im sure everything is fine :hugs:

Here, the midwives only start checking the heartbeat from 16 weeks. Even then, it's still early.

My doctor used a doppler on me at 12 weeks and we did manage to hear a heartbeat briefly, but the baby kept swimming away and we'd lose it. Eventually we just gave up because the baby kept swimming away from anywhere she applied pressure with the doppler. Perhaps your LO is just too quick.

thank you everyone, after intense reading and praying my worries have calmed down. I am so appreciative of all your encouragement, being a part of this forum has been such a blessing through all of this. And an update: I felt some quickenings tonight. I had forgotten how the tiny flutters felt, that really put my mind and heart at ease. I forgot how scary this journey can be, and I'm a really lucky woman to have you ladies to listen to me and give me advice. I appreciate each and every one of you! :hugs::hugs:

I agree with the others, the doctor never should have tried at 13 weeks, it's too early. Please try not to worry, the doctor should never have caused such unnecessary worry by trying at this stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"