Dr. Sears response to Milwaukee anti co-sleeping ad campaign

SiberianLover

Mom to baby girl!
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted.

https://www.askdrsears.com/news/latest-news/dr-sears-addresses-recent-co-sleeping-concerns

Co sleeping IS dangerous and CAN kill when not done in the correct manner. I think all dr sears is doing is hi -lighting the re itterating the facts which can be a little obscure, more people seem to interpret co-sleeping as sharing the same bed. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

So many factors need to be introduced that make it safe and in all honestly I'd rather see people incouraged to put the baby in a cot and no c/s rather than 'bed share' and thinking it's ok to do so because they don't take on board every factor in c/s!!

There was an incident in Cambridge where a 6 week old baby died, in middle of mum and dad, under a duvet and dad had 7 pints 'but wasn't drunk' .

I think that's why the nhs don't promote it because the risks when not following the rules outweigh the benefits.

I would imagine dr sears has responed to it as well to defend why he promotes it in his attatchment parenting. People may look down on his approach to parenting without Reading all the safe factors in co sleeping.

If I tell any mum I have Finn in my bed I always always always follw it with how I do it safely and I think if anyone else on here needs to be responsible enough and do the same.

I'm sure the case above I mention happens so often in homes so sad and so very preventable.

Co sleeping IS dangerous and CAN kill when not done in the correct manner. I think all dr sears is doing is hi -lighting the re itterating the facts which can be a little obscure, more people seem to interpret co-sleeping as sharing the same bed. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

So many factors need to be introduced that make it safe and in all honestly I'd rather see people incouraged to put the baby in a cot and no c/s rather than 'bed share' and thinking it's ok to do so because they don't take on board every factor in c/s!!

There was an incident in Cambridge where a 6 week old baby died, in middle of mum and dad, under a duvet and dad had 7 pints 'but wasn't drunk' .

I think that's why the nhs don't promote it because the risks when not following the rules outweigh the benefits.

I would imagine dr sears has responed to it as well to defend why he promotes it in his attatchment parenting. People may look down on his approach to parenting without Reading all the safe factors in co sleeping.

If I tell any mum I have Finn in my bed I always always always follw it with how I do it safely and I think if anyone else on here needs to be responsible enough and do the same.

I'm sure the case above I mention happens so often in homes so sad and so very preventable.

I'm having a hard time following what your trying to point out, especially in the 2nd paragraph. The entire article was about safe co-sleeping and safe bed sharing.

NM, I guess you're just going over the article. I just misread some parts

I think she's trying to say that co-sleeping and bed sharing are actualy different things. Bed sharing is just that where as the definition of co-sleeping is sleeping in close proximity, that doesent mean they have to be in the same bed I think?

Ya, I misread. And yes, co-sleeping can be sleeping in same bed or it could also mean baby sleeping next to bed in crib or bassinet. I had no idea before reading the article though. I co-sleep but I guess more accurately bed share

Like I said in the cambridge case I mentioned some people (who don't read up on co sleeping) may interpret bed sharing as co sleeping. You say to alot of people that you co sleep they imediatly think it's dangerous, even new mums!

Bed sharing isn't the same thing, as in the case above the baby was inbetween parents under a duvet and under the influence.

This thread is in response to another started A few days ago about milwalkie having a high number of deaths with co- sleeping. I imagine those deaths were because of drugs/ alcohol/ pillows and duvets.

All I was saying is dr sears is defending his co sleeping stance as many would now frown on it without Reading all the facts in both articles.

As I said again I'd much rather a baby in it's own cot than in it's parents bed without all risks being taken away.

Ya, I misread. And yes, co-sleeping can be sleeping in same bed or it could also mean baby sleeping next to bed in crib or bassinet. I had no idea before reading the article though. I co-sleep but I guess more accurately bed share

Yes I was talking about co-sleeping in the sense of in the same bed not a co- sleeping cot!!!! I co sleep but baby is on th outer edge of the bed, duvet is wraped around me, the cot is higher than my bed but pulled against so baby can't roll off no pillow and I tend to sleep with my arm above me so I can't roll.
Alot of people may interpret (especially those not on b&b!!) as the term 'co sleeping' as the baby being In bed with you and it's not the same because of the risk factors. Especially babies next to dads, they definatly don't have tge same' tuned in' thing as us mummies, they could easily pull a duvet over tge baby.

I'm sorry if I confused you ... It's early!!

And again when people say baby is in bed with me they often mean in the middle with a duvet , pillows next to them ect all are risks.I consider that bed sharing not safe co sleeping!! I really need to read over my posts before sharing them!!!

Yes I was talking about co-sleeping in the sense of in the same bed not a co- sleeping cot!!!! I co sleep but baby is on th outer edge of the bed, duvet is wraped around me, the cot is higher than my bed but pulled against so baby can't roll off no pillow and I tend to sleep with my arm above me so I can't roll.
Alot of people may interpret (especially those not on b&b!!) as the term 'co sleeping' as the baby being In bed with you and it's not the same because of the risk factors. Especially babies next to dads, they definatly don't have tge same' tuned in' thing as us mummies, they could easily pull a duvet over tge baby.

I'm sorry if I confused you ... It's early!!
And its super late here so I'm tired! I had to re-read your first post. I actually make my husband sleep elsewhere. He isn't allowed on the bed because he is a heavy sleeper. He can roll on top of me and I can barely push him off or rouse him to wake up! I guess ''allowed'' isnt the word but we agree he is too heavy a sleeper. I have my dd off to the side making sure my pillow is far from her. I also put her in a sleep sack so she stays warm without a blanket.

Good article, I actually feel lo is safer when she sleeps in my bed. I throw all the pillows on the floor and I know she is all warm and snuggly with me. Her cot is right by my bed anyway but I miss her when she isn't in the bed with me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->