Dreaded dummy....

Mrs R

Reaction score
I am literally falling asleep in front of the computer because of a damn dummy!

Only my boy twin takes a dummy. He goes to bed without it at nite and is asleep in 2 mins. For the last few days, they haven't been looking for feeds at nite which is great. Baby girl sleeps all nite without a sound. Baby boy however has started waking every hour from about 2 am looking for his dummy. He can't keep it in so I'm up at least 3 times popping it back in before he nods off. Last nite I was up about 15 times doing this :wacko: I had about 3 hours sleep

He's not hungry as he doesn't even open his eyes, he just lies and shouts in his sleep. If I let him shout, he wakes himself up, cries, wakes his sister and wakes DH so we all end up awake!

I would rather lift him to pacify him, but I wouldn't think this is a great idea either. They are still in our room, but we're going to have to think about moving baby girl into her own room so he doesn't start to wake her.

Please help! I don't mind the dummy during the day, but this nite time waking is going to kill me!

My boys both did this just after they dropped their night feed, but it was just a phase and only lasted a week or so. You're right that he isn't awake or hungry, he just wants to suckle and is therefore looking for his dummy.
I remember being soooo tired and having no idea what to do to stop them waking so often, but then they just stopped on there own :happydance:

Now they wake maybe once every couple of nights, but between then and now they did go through phases of waking more often wanting their dummy but thankfully those phases never lasted long!!

Hopefully your little boy will be the same! x

i hate to say it but my daughter still wakes in the night now for hers and shes 2! i can remember so well everynight frantically rooting around her bed at night trying to find her dummy in the dark before she woke properly, at times it would also be 5 times or so a night and never got better.

For this reason alone even though i love dummys for newborns i really tried to not give the twins one. I have just caved in but only to settle them if windy and unsettled or trying to stretch out one for a feed while i concentrate on the other one, as soon as they sleep i take it away so im really hoping they wont be so dependant as my little girl.

If you can wean him off now do as i wish i had done before she knew what she was missing!

Chantelle

My boys both did this just after they dropped their night feed, but it was just a phase and only lasted a week or so. You're right that he isn't awake or hungry, he just wants to suckle and is therefore looking for his dummy.
I remember being soooo tired and having no idea what to do to stop them waking so often, but then they just stopped on there own :happydance:

Now they wake maybe once every couple of nights, but between then and now they did go through phases of waking more often wanting their dummy but thankfully those phases never lasted long!!

Hopefully your little boy will be the same! x

This makes me feel a little better. Fingers crossed it's just a phase. I was supposed to be going to the cinema with my sisters tonite but am giving it a miss because I'm so tired. Roll on some sleep :sleep:

If it does continue, maybe you could move HIM out into his own room and allow to learn to self soothe. My Daughter has a dummy and if it falls out during the night, she sucks on her hand (so cute). She used to cry for me to put it back in and I did when she was dropping off to sleep but never once she was alseep and it had fallen out.

Hopefully it is a phase, but a phase can quickly become a habit.

If it does continue, maybe you could move HIM out into his own room and allow to learn to self soothe. My Daughter has a dummy and if it falls out during the night, she sucks on her hand (so cute). She used to cry for me to put it back in and I did when she was dropping off to sleep but never once she was alseep and it had fallen out.

Hopefully it is a phase, but a phase can quickly become a habit.

I agree. I would move him out of your room. He has to learn to settle himself with or without a dummy.
My girls have just gone into big girl beds (tonight lol) so now they can get up but before they used to drop a dummy and if they couldnt reach it they would go without.

I wouldnt keep giving it to him its making him think its ok to cry for it and you will give it.
Definitely think about maybe moving him into his own room. It will take a few nights but he will soon settle down

We've decided to go cold turkey. He's had no dummy at all today and been pretty good. Had to do a bit of distraction around the times he's tired and looking for a dummy but I m dreading going to bed tonight. Last nite he woke at 4am onwards, wouldn't settle without the dummy. Tonight I will not give in................... Will let you know how it goes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->