Dreamfeeding worries!!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Fabby, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Fabby

Fabby mummy to my amazing boy x

As some of you may well know, i havent wanted to do DF. one reason being i jut cant bring myself to disturb him when he is so soundly asleep, reason two being i am worried it disturbs him too much and then wont go back sleep and reason three being how would i know he no longe needed it if i started to force this feed upon him and him just not drop a feed natually. He has been in a GS the last 4 days and today the amount of ounces on each feed as calmed down a bit. The thing is is that he is due a feed at 630pm and this will only be his 4th and i cant really keep him up for another 4 hours until he would be due another feed becaue he doesnt nap much in the day and gets extremely tired early evening. Now, do i attempt a df at about 10ish or do i just leave him.
    Can anyone give me some reassurance......

2. Murphy98

Murphy98 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be "force feeding" him - its just a feed - if he doesn't want it he'll let you know. We dream fed our son early on until he recently dropped it all on his own at 7 months. We knew he didn't need it because he would take in less and less over time and eventually we just stopped giving it to him.

I loved the dreamfeed and miss it now. For us it was a quite, gentle cuddle of a feed. Our son would be so relaxed and when done he would just drop right back off to sleep. Ours always woke to some degree, but it was no big deal because it was part of his routine and he was used to it. Your child may be different - if he wakes up too much or doesn't like it, then I wouldn't do it. However it might be worth a try if your interested in establishing a feed before you go to bed.

I would suggest not doing the Dreamfeed past 11:00pm as I've read that can disrupt their night sleep patterns. Also, avoid the urge to change your LO's diaper etc. If you do it, just keep it gentle, quiet and relaxed.

:coffee:

3. Fabby

ive decided im going leave it, thanks for your reply though xx

4. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

I never dreamfed always waited for lo to wake up himself, sometimes he woke sometimes he didn't and would sleep through til 3-4am. I did try a dreamfeed but he would purse his lips up anyway and I found dreamfeeding using the breast was really hard :haha:

5. MrsH1980

MrsH1980 Mummy to Myka

Just for the record, I tried dream feeding but I found that if I didn't wind Myka properly she woke an hour later with really bad trapped wind and was a nightmare to get back off. That said I know it works for many many people :flower:

6. Fabby

He has actually just had 6oz which was 3 hours since his last feed. hopefully this is the end of the growth spurt and is going back to 3 hourly feeds as before instead of 4 hourly that started over a week ago. x

7. camerashy

camerashy Well-Known Member

df wouldnt work 4 my lil one at nite time she has to be awake to get her wind up