Dreaming or story telling?

kellyc1987

Reaction score
My DS (3yo) told me that when he was at my aunts house (she looks after him when I work) two flying men came and got him and took him out in their flying car, and one of them turned into a woman, he said he was sitting on one of their laps when they were driving/flying around.

I've asked him if he is fibbing and he is adament he isnt, he also seems to know very small details about what happened, if it wasn't so crazy I would actually believe it happened! Also he told me 3 days after the last time she had him and his dad had him 2 days in between her having him and me picking him up and he didn't mention it to his dad at all.

So do you think he is telling a story/imagining or had a dream about it?

Children are starting to develop very intense imaginations around this age and may have difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality. It may well have been a dream, or it may have been something that he has made up, but that doesn't mean it wasn't real to him, and in that respect he isn't 'lying' as such.

Has he been poorly recently? My daughter has been constantly ill since starting nursery and has on occasion had very intense daydreams, which could almost be described as hallucinations, I suppose. She seems to find that things in her head or that she thinks about manifest themselves as visual entities when she is really tired and run down, and is incapable of realising at these times that they are not actually real.

It freaked me out for a bit, but apparently childhood hallucinations are common and it can be quite normal for a child under the age of 7 to hallucinate?!

I'd rejoice in your little guy's vivid and colourful imagination!

Thanks for your reply, it could be something like daydreaming/vivid imagination, I don't think he was ill but my aunt did say he unexpectedly throw up

I know lying sounds harsh but I couldn't think of anything else to call it

He is very good at imaginative play, when he is playing with his cars he's got right little story lines going on with all sorts of voices and accents 😂😂 so it's more than likely his imagination

Aghh, sorry if my reply sounded twatty, I know what you meant and I can't really think of a better word for it either! What I was trying to say is just that to him, it may well be something he really thinks happened lol.

My daughter also has an extremely active imagination - it's wonderful to listen to at times actually - and she does voices and extremely detailed descriptions too. :rofl: I think when a child is very bright, and pretty decent verbally, they can get deeply immersed and create images for themselves that are so real they're basically tangible. Not many people remember much about being 3 or 4 so it's hard to say how their little minds work, but whatever he's experienced, it sounds awesome. :D

Aghh, sorry if my reply sounded twatty

:haha: no honestly it didn't at all, I read over my original post and thought it would look like I'm calling him a liar but I meant is he making a story or thinking a dream is real lol

I've edited the title to reflect more what I think

Hi there! popping in :)

This is a fun stage when their imaginations and vivid dreams start to emerge. my 4yo wakes up often and tells us tales of her dreams right out of a fog. The most recent was about a giant rubber duck that daddy had to blow up for her, she believed it so much in her fog she turned to him and told him not to pop it lol!

does your little one still daydream/dream?

Hi there! popping in :)

This is a fun stage when their imaginations and vivid dreams start to emerge. my 4yo wakes up often and tells us tales of her dreams right out of a fog. The most recent was about a giant rubber duck that daddy had to blow up for her, she believed it so much in her fog she turned to him and told him not to pop it lol!

does your little one still daydream/dream?

Thanks, I think he still does, I'm not sure if he is dreaming or just imagining tbh as he doesn't tell us about it when he wakes up and will just randomly come out with it

The other day we were walking to my nan's house (which we visit at least 3 times a week and had already been to the day before), and he started getting upset and saying he didn't want to walk past a certain house because "they had those things that they were shooting into the sky" and apparently they shot at me and my mum and him, this definitely didn't happen in real life so I'm not sure if he dreamt it or was just daydreaming/imagining

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->