Drinking water before scan - help!

dizzyjoo

Reaction score
Ladies - how do you manage to get yourselves a full bladder before your 12-week scan???
Mine is as noon tomorrow - how much should I drink and how long before? I am not good at holding my pee and dreading it. Hoping they will do an internal if I have not managed to keep my bladder full (in case of being late running at hospital etc.)

xxx

I'm sure on my appointment letter it states 1 pint approx and hour before the scan.

I'm sure on my appointment letter it states 1 pint approx and hour before the scan.

Yeah that's what mine says too. Should be ok, it's not like you'll be desparate for a pee for the whole hour after you drink it!

Yeah that's what mine says too. Should be ok, it's not like you'll be desparate for a pee for the whole hour after you drink it!

You don't know my bladder LOL!!!!!!!!!

I'd be sipping a 500ml bottle of water all day yesterday - through a big presentation - to stop me coughing so much. By 3pm I was in the loo 3 times over the space of 30-mins!!!!!!!

my scan letter said to drink 1litre of fluids.. im a bit worried about this too,i'll probably end up desperate for the loo!

lol isjut had my scan this morning, and i dran a 500ml bottle of water and it wasnt enough to get baby moving to get nuchal test i had t go for a wee walk and drink more 4 cups later im absolutly busting and shes proddig me with the thing lol i thought i was gonna pee there and then! i had to go from side to side and bounce my bum to get baby moving lol it was facing us so u couldnt see nuchal fold so it moved eventualy! only turned upside down and was still facing forward lol but she eventualy got it after poking the thing right into my kidney infected side lol oh the joys looking foward to 20 week scan couldnt see the spine for nub guess but it did look pretty straight and chinese gender predict girl fingers crossed!!

I drank 750 ml for mine and I needed the loo that much, my kidneys were hurting. In the end the nurse sent me for a wee and told me to drink a full cup from the water machine in the waiting room. I was worried it wouldn't be enough but my scan was fine and the sonographer never said a word.

That was at my 10 week scan (They thought I was further than what I was), at the one two weeks later, I went for a wee about an hour before I left the house and again drank a cup of water in the wating room. Again no one said anything.

I think they give you unclear guidelines, but obviously you don't have to drink loads, otherwise they would have told me I was too empty.

I'd buy a 500 ml bottle and just sip it an hour before your appointment.

Good luck, hope everything is OK!! xx

I had my 12scan about an hour ago and I am the same and can't drink so much water, as I get terrible pain =( so I drank a coca cola can sized glass of squash 1hour before my scan and my pics came out great and she got the measurments quick and after baby was dancing away =) it was so nice xx just drink what feels rite for you =)

at my hospital the guideline says comfortably full bladder - I wouldn't worry about drinking too much extra just don't go to the toilet for an hour or two before your scan - and if you get really uncomfortable just go a bit!

This is the bit I'm dreading too. Water goes through me really really quickly.

I'm going to stock up on Tena ladies.

at my hospital the guideline says comfortably full bladder - I wouldn't worry about drinking too much extra just don't go to the toilet for an hour or two before your scan - and if you get really uncomfortable just go a bit!

Ooh see that's where I'd fall down! There's no way I could just "go a bit" and hold the rest! lol.

As others have said, I don't think you'd need to be full to bursting, just try not to have an empty bladder! Besides, it's all good bladder training for when bubs is bigger and constantly pressing on it! :haha:

Hi Ladies, I went for my 12 week scan on Monday and was panicking in the waiting room as I'd hardly had anything to drink, the lady sitting next to me pointed out that we actually do not need a full bladder anymore. I was slightly confused and had a couple of cups of water. I got called in for my scan and had both types (the tummy one and internal) and sure enough I was asked to empty my bladder. Very confusing!!

When you all booked your scan appointments they would of sent you or given you a leaflet that explains the scanning process, it clearly states in there that you do not need a full bladder. I am happy to scan and attach my leaflet here to show you all but have no idea how to do it xxxxxxxxxx

Lady told me just drink two glasses of water, so you aren't bursting, also you don't need to drink ages before an hold it in, just drinking in the half hour before scan shoukd fine, it goes through quick. x

Thanks ladies - I feel a bit better about it now! Without the stress of hoping baby is OK etc. - we have the stress of pee and water and bladders! LOL

I intend to sip 500ml of water all morning, as I did today, and I have felt OK bladder wise and had small wee's. I am def. going to ask for an internal if they can't see much - I am plus sized too, so even more of a pain for me (you know what I mean LOL!)

Thanks girls!!! xxx

at 12 weeks they should't need to do an internal scan. i forgot to drinl before mine last time but sonographer had no trouble seeing bub at all. internal is mainly done in very early pregnancy as uterus can de hard to get to externally and makes things a little unclear. good luck x

I was full to bursting before my scan on Monday and the first thing the sonographer said was "That's a full bladder" - really, ya don't say, lol! I was scared about it being too empty and not getting a good picture.

My leaflet said 1.5-2 pints of water at least an hour before the scan.

When I went for my private one at 8 weeks the woman on reception told me I could go a little bit and then stop too. I politely declined because I knew once I got going there was no way on this earth I was going to be able to stop lol!!

i find it difficult to frink a lot of water at all and when i read in my letter that i have to drink that much before the scan i practically laughed and said to my OH this is going to be fun but you can tell when your bladder is fullish and then just sip in the waiting room :)

Hey honey dont panic, my bladder is atrocious i tried n was in agony b4 my 7 week scan n just had to peer TWICE right b4 scan n we still saw great pic of bubba using an external scan, if u can't do it at 12 weeks you'll b fine!! Xxx

I drank 2 pints of water in the hour leading to my scan and was bursting by the time I was seen... 20 minutes late! I made a dash for the loo right after the scan. It was an early scan so not too much prodding about phew!

When I had my early scan I was so desperate for the loo I was in pain and I don't even think I drank that much. (I'm actually needing the loo just thinking back to that day!) The sonographer took one look at my abdomen and said "you've got a very full bladder".

Turned out my bladder was too full and was actually squashing part of my uterus so she couldn't find the heartbeat with the external scan.

She asked me to empty my bladder and then did an internal scan and baby was hiding away in the bit that had been squashed.

Definitely not letting myself get like that before 12 week scan. Planning on going the loo before I leave home and sipping water on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->