Dropping milk when weaning....

24/7

Mummy to Sam & Abigail
Reaction score
LO dopped his feeds around a month ago down to 20-25oz per day for no apparent reason, however since we started weaning a couple of weeks ago we are struggling to get much milk into milk atall. He will take 1-2oz during the day, with possibly 3/4oz in the morning and evening, but rarely goes over 10oz in total for the day. I try and hide as much as I can in food, but in reality its only another 2/3oz.

He is on comfort milk and swapping back to stage one milk made no difference, so it is milk he doesnt want. The tantrum starts as soon as he realises it is time for milk, but he will take a small amount. I dont think its that he doesnt want it or like it, as with distraction he will take a small amount before getting fed up.

I have tried milk in a beaker and a normal cup but it doesnt make any difference. I am trying to give him as much dairy as possible, but as he is eating so little still, its not that easy.

Any magic tips to make him want milk again? He is sleeping through the night, after dinner at 4pm, and then 3/4oz of milk at 6pm and not waking up until 7/8 in the morning, so he isnt hungry. xx

Is he teething? My dd gets fussy with her milk when teething, guess it's the sucking action. She'll still eat some solids, though less, but fights me with her bottle!

Some babies can just go off milk but you're doing the right thing by getting milk into him in other ways. Does he have yoghurt and cheese?

I'm using the mobile app so can't see your lo's age so apologies if my food questions are inappropriate for his age.

LO dopped his feeds around a month ago down to 20-25oz per day for no apparent reason, however since we started weaning a couple of weeks ago we are struggling to get much milk into milk atall. He will take 1-2oz during the day, with possibly 3/4oz in the morning and evening, but rarely goes over 10oz in total for the day. I try and hide as much as I can in food, but in reality its only another 2/3oz.

He is on comfort milk and swapping back to stage one milk made no difference, so it is milk he doesnt want. The tantrum starts as soon as he realises it is time for milk, but he will take a small amount. I dont think its that he doesnt want it or like it, as with distraction he will take a small amount before getting fed up.

I have tried milk in a beaker and a normal cup but it doesnt make any difference. I am trying to give him as much dairy as possible, but as he is eating so little still, its not that easy.

Any magic tips to make him want milk again? He is sleeping through the night, after dinner at 4pm, and then 3/4oz of milk at 6pm and not waking up until 7/8 in the morning, so he isnt hungry. xx

my situation is exactly the same as yours. at around 5 months he started fussing with all his bottles and his daily amount as now rapidly decreased to around 12ounce a day. it is very worrying and stressful :(

i wish i had some magic solution to make him like milk but i dont think thats gonna happen. i've been doing same as you, adding milk to solids but as you said there is only so much you can sneak in food. i give the sippy cup with milk too but he only as dribs n drabs.

one thing i have found very good though is introducing a dream feed. i give him this 3 hours after his last feed, usually 9.30pm and he often takes 6-7 oz with this which ups his daily total to around 19oz.

maybe this could be an idea for your lo x

Is he teething? My dd gets fussy with her milk when teething, guess it's the sucking action. She'll still eat some solids, though less, but fights me with her bottle!

Some babies can just go off milk but you're doing the right thing by getting milk into him in other ways. Does he have yoghurt and cheese?

I'm using the mobile app so can't see your lo's age so apologies if my food questions are inappropriate for his age.
He is six months, but I dont think he is teething at the moment, he has two teeth already and he was ok with milk when he got them.

He will happily eat yogurt and cheese, infact he will eat anything, just not milk. :dohh:
my situation is exactly the same as yours. at around 5 months he started fussing with all his bottles and his daily amount as now rapidly decreased to around 12ounce a day. it is very worrying and stressful :(

i wish i had some magic solution to make him like milk but i dont think thats gonna happen. i've been doing same as you, adding milk to solids but as you said there is only so much you can sneak in food. i give the sippy cup with milk too but he only as dribs n drabs.

one thing i have found very good though is introducing a dream feed. i give him this 3 hours after his last feed, usually 9.30pm and he often takes 6-7 oz with this which ups his daily total to around 19oz.

I keep thinking of trying a dream feed, but before weaning he didnt sleep atall, and was waking every half an hour or so and I'm petrified of ruining our now good sleep. :blush: I will give it a try tonight.

THANK YOU!! xx

He is six months, but I dont think he is teething at the moment, he has two teeth already and he was ok with milk when he got them.

He will happily eat yogurt and cheese, infact he will eat anything, just not milk. :dohh:

I keep thinking of trying a dream feed, but before weaning he didnt sleep atall, and was waking every half an hour or so and I'm petrified of ruining our now good sleep. :blush: I will give it a try tonight.

THANK YOU!! xx

i know what you mean. i was worried about dreamfeeding at first. i thought i might be messing with his routine or waking him up and not being able to get him back to sleep ( so far this hasn't happened ) i weighed up the pros and cons and decided i'd see how it goes. the first night he took 8oz :)

now during the day when he is refusing most his feeds i am much less stressed as i know there is a good chance he will take around 7oz at his dreamfeed. i am much more relaxed now at his feed times :) x

Lets hope it works tonight. :D xx

Great big fail. :haha: Took the first 2oz fast asleep, then stirred and woke up and he had a huge tantrum over being awake and having a bottle, and just wanted to go back to bed, and then as he had woken up, he then woke at the end of every sleep cycle all night long, so up every 45 minutes.

Dont think I will do it again!! xx

oh dear, sorry it turned out that way. at least you know now that it isn't for your lo.

hopefully your lo will pick up with his milk feeds naturally himself x

My LO is 8 months but I have the same problem. Sometimes she will only take 8oz in a day and if I can get 12 into her I'm doing well.
I find it worrying to and posted in the FF section about it. No replies as yet, I knew I should have posted it here instead

My LO is 8 months but I have the same problem. Sometimes she will only take 8oz in a day and if I can get 12 into her I'm doing well.
I find it worrying to and posted in the FF section about it. No replies as yet, I knew I should have posted it here instead

oh its so stressful isn't it. my lo had a dream feed at 9.30pm lastnight and took 5oz. his best feed of the day. today he was up at 7.30am he as not demanded a feed at all. i have just attempted him a feed now at 9.30am and he's took 1 oz. he will not feed again till around 3pm, any earlier is totally refused. he will probably take about 4oz later on a good feed. sometimes it makes me ill with stress and worry.

does your lo take solids well. if so you can sneak milk into everything. this counts towards there daily requirements of formula. i think around 8 months it is advised a minimum of 16-18oz daily so if your lo can manage 12oz then add a further 4-6 to solids.

it may also be an idea to get some vit d supplements. these were recommended by my hv and i get them free as part of the healthy start scheme.

then there is the dream feed, works wonders for my lo but not for everyone as seen above

lastly try not to worry too much, easier said than done thou, i know x

Hiya,

When I started weaning my LO went right off his milk. It lasted a month or so. Then I swapped to follow on milk and he has about 18 - 21oz a day now. I give him a bottle at nap times as this is the only time he will take it when he is sleepy (he has always been like this)

I got him weighed as like others I was worried about his drop in milk and he is gaining weight just fine and it did out my mind at ease.

Xxx

Hiya,

When I started weaning my LO went right off his milk. It lasted a month or so. Then I swapped to follow on milk and he has about 18 - 21oz a day now. I give him a bottle at nap times as this is the only time he will take it when he is sleepy (he has always been like this)

I got him weighed as like others I was worried about his drop in milk and he is gaining weight just fine and it did out my mind at ease.

Xxx

thanks

i have just got my lo follow on milk but it hasn't made a difference to how much he takes yet but he is only been on it a few days so fingers crossed. my lo was on staydown which is more casien based like hungry baby milk. i put him on follow on as its supposed to be less filling and at least i know he's getting more iron and vitamins now :)

my lo also feeds so much better whilst sleepy. i have tried fitting his feeds around naps but found it very hard as his routine seems to change daily.

i am going to get my lo weighed next week so will see then, hopefully my lo as gained fine too :)

My lo is just the same. Its always been a struggle to get him to take milk. Now on solids its worse. Sometimes he Will take 6oz when he wakes and 6oz at bed and i try to get him to have 2x4oz during the day plus what i mix in his food so i think he gets enough but it is a battle. I have started giving baby vitamins so i know he is getting all nutrients he needs.

Hiya,

Xxx

thanks

i have just got my lo follow on milk but it hasn't made a difference to how much he takes yet but he is only been on it a few days so fingers crossed. my lo was on staydown which is more casien based like hungry baby milk. i put him on follow on as its supposed to be less filling and at least i know he's getting more iron and vitamins now :)

my lo also feeds so much better whilst sleepy. i have tried fitting his feeds around naps but found it very hard as his routine seems to change daily.

i am going to get my lo weighed next week so will see then, hopefully my lo as gained fine too :)

I found it a lot easier when I dropped LO down to 2 naps a day around 7 mobths as he has 3 bottles a day which 2 are at nap time and 1 at bedtime. The routine was all up in the air for a little bit but we got there lol.

Xx

Hiya,

Xxx

thanks

I found it a lot easier when I dropped LO down to 2 naps a day around 7 mobths as he has 3 bottles a day which 2 are at nap time and 1 at bedtime. The routine was all up in the air for a little bit but we got there lol.

Xx

well i think i'm going to have to have a rethink as today as been a total nightmare, he was up at 7.30am, i didn't attempt to feed him till 9.30am, he took around 2oz, had a few cat naps here and there, i tried him again at 3pm and he would not touch the bottle at all, kicked off and screamed till i gave him a jar. he's had a little water in a sippy cup. i will offer another fee at 6.30pm and will be amazed if he takes it, he's getting worse daily for protesting it. i'm really getting worried now. he should do fine at around 9.30pm with his dreamfeed but there is no way he will have had anywhere near what he should have today :( x

Just the same as my LO - :( xx

Just the same as my LO - :( xx

:hugs: its awful isn't it. i'm finding its taking its toll now and really effecting my mood.

i was offloading to my oh earlier saying " right thats it now, im not giving him milk anymore, he hates it " yet i know that i can't do that.

i was just reading on another thread about the 6 month growth spurt, bring it on is all i say. right now i would give ewt to feed him all day and have to get up at daft oclock to feed. i never thought i'd be saying this though lol x

I bought a carton today and he took 4oz then 3oz this afternoon and evening - Whereas as the powder he has been spitting out. May have just been a one off though.... xx

I bought a carton today and he took 4oz then 3oz this afternoon and evening - Whereas as the powder he has been spitting out. May have just been a one off though.... xx

before my lo went onto staydown he was on aptamil 1st. he would not feed well but would take the cartons better so for a while i just fed him the cartons. it was expensive but worthit. my lo as been on follow on milk for last week so i might try the cartons again. anything is worth a go x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->