DS may have speech and behavioural issues :( UPDATE PG5 :)

:hugs: just ignore your family its properly jsut been a bit of a shockl to them im sure once its sunk it they wont think anything of it and he will be just as special to them.

child with autism are really clever and uniqune my nephew has it he has to have a good routine but he is so clever he remembers phone numbers after being told onces and addresses after being told onces, things many adults cant even do and he is only 8

My daughter was diagnosed with autism when she was 2. Come on over to the special needs section. We are a great group of ladies over there. :hugs:

I never thought about his heaing,but that could be a possibility as we often think he's like the typical man n has selective hearing.He had his hearing tested at birth first time only one ear passed but they re tested the next day and passed both and said it was probably cause he still had foof gunk in them!!

Im going to mention that to my HV and see what she says.:thumbup:

Don't get me wrong every day we notice something new,like today he told me when I went in to get him up he said 'up' which Ive never heard before so I repeated it and so did he and then we played an up down game with lots of praise so I hope we are heading in the right direction.

it doesn't have to be a total lack of hearing, it can be frequencies, tones or only one side etc that may be being only partially heard rather than just volume, things can sound muffled or can be completely missed if they can only hear certain tones meaning that things that they hear aren't making sense so aren't making the links needed for communication. Hearing should always be checked first as it can be something as simple as a build up of wax or needing simple grommits, im suprised it wasn't suggested first before anything else. If it is something like Autism then that is a massive spectrum and once addressed correctly then children can make massive progress. You sound like you should be congratulated on your proactive attitude towards it.

A standard hearing test is usually part of the ASD assessment anyways.

Hopefully you get some good results soon, so sorry you are going through this :hugs:

I was on Ritalin for years ("she won't listen!") until they did a proper hearing test and found I had a hearing impairment.......... :roll:

Good luck!

:flower:....

to all you lovely women for your advice and consideration.

Well what a difference almost a month makes :flower:

Since I last posted we have had our visit from our Hv again aswell as the behavioralist and Im sooooooo chuffed with my boy its unreal!!!

The Hv could not get over the difference a week made.The first time she met Leo she barely heard him say 2 words,he would,t look her in the eye and just ignored her.The second visit in her words was 'a totally different boy' he blethered away to her,played a game,danced,sat and read a book and even spoke 5 perfectly clear words to her.All with lots of eye contact and only 1 melt down.She was sooo impressed and said whatever we were doing we should keep at it.The behavioralist said his issues were nothing to concerning and were more than likely due to his frustration from not communicating properly.She also said theres still a chance he's slightly Autistic because of certain things he does(main one being he hates noise and loud things,mega bad melt downs with them) But nothing to worry about.

As they left Leo stood at the door and said 'bubye love you' and came running towards them for kisses and waved them off.(MEGA proud mummy moment)

So yeah looks like he was just needing a wee bit more extra help and one on one time with mummy and daddy.Don't get me wrong we still get alot of gobbledygook but soooo many more words and alot less tantrums.

He understands alot more and will listen more (to a certain extent).

I honestly could'nt be any more proud of him than I am right now,he was perfect before in my eyes even though I was told he may have all these issues but he makes me more n more proud of him every single day with all the new things he does.

For other mother's who like me have worries about delays or issues,speak out and get help!!Its the only way you will know you have done all you possibly can for your child wither there's a problem or not!!Im glad I did and Im glad I have been giving soo much good info and help from BnB and friends n family other wise my wee boy would still be plodding along blethering to himself!!

Thnak you all sooo much.:kiss:

Excellent news honey, you must be over the moon with that! He sounds sooo cute and ovbiously is coming on leaps and bounds! xx

I salute you for being a caring and loving mommy to a special child. Hope that fire in your heart for your child will never die down. Always give him the love and support he needs and he will go a long way.

I have a cousin who is like your child but I think he wasn't given much attention that is why he never really developed his full potentials. Special children really need special attention and when given correctly their being "special" will truly show.

Brought a tear to my eye, what a great mummy you are :)

Glad all the need is positive hunni

What a lovely update :) well done little man and well done mummy :flower:

I am so happy for you reading this. Your son is one lucky boy to have such a caring and dedicated mummy :hugs:

My daughter gets speech therapy and occupational therapy at her preschool. Do Not give up just keep trekking. Kids improve a lot with therapy . She makes full sentences now before she couldnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->