Dummies

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Beth09, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Beth09

Beth09 Well-Known Member

Who uses a dummy? I didn't want to give Zach one but he was just whingy in the day and wouldnt settle, i gave him a dummy and now he will lay anywhere and he seems content. I'm just worried now that he is going to want it during the night as well and keep dropping it and crying every 5 minutes, does anyone just use one during the day?

2. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

We use one but not just during the day, they did all go through a short period where at night they would push it out of their mouths and wake up and cry but it didn't last long and wasn't too bad. But it can help reduce the risk of SIDS which is a good "perk" if you're going to be using it at all. But it's natural for babies to want to suck even when not hungry so I don't have a problem with them at all for my boys

3. wispa86

wispa86 2 Boys and a Bump

it will be good if he can settle himself to sleep without it and not need it for sleeping, then you shouldnt have a problem.

we use a dummy and he has it more at night than during the day. in the day he only has it in the car, for naps and if hes in a very bad mood! we went through a stage of me having to get up in the middle of the night to put the dummy in but i taught him how to put his own dummy in during the day so he knew how to do it and then put about 12 dummies all over his cot to find if he lost one :)

he didnt wake up for his dummy till at least 4 months old though

4. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

i didnt want to use a dummy with zane but i was still tired from giving birth had no sleep and really wanted a bath so started him with a dummy n my poor boobs had a break i loved it lol.

now at 15 months zane has stopped using dummys himself he just doesnt want them anymore, shame i just wasted £5 on more lol

5. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

I really, really didn't want to give Ruby a dummy but on day 3 I just had to really, she wouldn't latch onto the breast and was a bit unsettled, dummy really helped.

Now at 7 months she uses it only to drift off to sleep. She spits it out after a while and doesn't want it back. I don't think this is a problem whatsoever and am in no hurry to wean her off it.

I stopped giving it to her in the car and pushchair at about 5 months and she didn't miss it. She was starting to just play with it anyway. She only ever had it in the day for her first few weeks.

6. mellllly

mellllly Mummy to 3 under 4!

Sophie has hers when she is tired and then usually falls asleep with it but she doesnt wake up crying for it if she spits it out at night

7. Beth09

Beth09 Well-Known Member

Well im hoping he wont need it at night but if he does i hope i wont be up every 5 minutes putting it back in lol!!

8. lexy604

lexy604 Sleeps through the night!

I use one with Carter but very rarely because he is usually only fussy for a reason he never has one at night either he doesnt seem to really need one but than again he is a chill baby

9. purpledaisy2

purpledaisy2 Mummy to a gorgeous boy

My LO will be 5 weeks old on Friday and I had only used it twice up until yesterday.

I really didn't want to give him one, for reasons like yours I didn't/don't want him to become reliant on it needing it to get to sleep etc but he has been so unsettled these past two days I finally gave him one yesterday afternoon, he fell straight to sleep with in and then spat it out and he was fine.

He's had it once today and again drifted off straight away. I'm only gonna use it when he is really whingy x

10. AP

AP Well-Known Member

Alex sometimes has hers at night when shes really tired and pissed off, but when it falls out she doesnt care!

11. Lara+sam+bump

Lara+sam+bump Well-Known Member

Noah wouldn't take one until 4 months old, I wish he had cos he's wat is known as a high need baby, and as a newborn cried CONSTANTLY! He was breast fed and wouldn't hav a bottle or dummy, then my Mum had him for a few days and he started taking a bottle and then when I tried a dummy he took it, I haven't looked back since :) life is 100% better now. He has it for naps, in pushchair, in the car, for snuggle time before bed and at night. He isn't allowed it when he's playing, if he's extra whingy he can hav it in the day, but he has to sit on my lap. Noah wakes up maybe 2-3 times a night for his dummy, but it dont bother me as its a quick fix, where as I used to spend hours rocking him back off xxx

12. Chick21

Chick21 Mummy 2 Effy <3

only when she is going down for a nap and at night really helps her 2 drop off but if it falls out she has learnt 2 settle by herself.

13. elainegee

elainegee Well-Known Member

my wee boy isnt keen on the dummy and only thinks of it as his bottle until he relieses there is no milk and spits it out. So i normally only use it to hold him off for bottles as he is a big boy wanting to feed all the time, when i put him down at night i dont give him the dummy and he falls asleep on his own (as long as he has a full tummy!) over time i know this might change and he will like it more for a soother, but i will cross that path when i come to it! x

14. TheNewWife

TheNewWife In love with my girls

I didn't want to use one either, but in the end it's proven to be useful. I put it in her mouth for naptime as part of our routine and she only keeps it in her mouth for a minute or two. She spits it out and then doesn't want it again. It's mostly a signal that now is sleep time for her. :)

15. RJ01

RJ01 Mam to Katie and TTC

I offered Katie a dummy from about 3 weeks old she took it for a little while on a night and during the day I stopped giving it to her a bed time at around 11 weeks as she just spat it out anyway, now she just has it for her late afternoon cat nap.
    I think it really depends on the baby if they wantit let them have it you can wean them off later :baby:

16. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

i use them wenever nessesary, emily goes to sleep with one, and will have one during the day if she gets irritable and nothing else soothes her,

17. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

River has one when she falls asleep during the day and night. Once she is asleep she spits it out and isnt bothered