• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

During Your Labour...

xnewxmummyx

Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle
Reaction score
Well I was supposed to going to sleep but then I found OBEM repeats on More4 (a labour and delievery documentary for any1 who not sure) and it got me thinking how much i actually saw the midwife throughout my labour and i think it was, in total about 4x all for 5mins each and my labour was 11hrs .. Scary to think i practically laboured on my own haha, and al i had was paracetamol and diamorphine til i pushed then gas and air lol

It seems on OBEM their MW's are in the room loads!

So, looking back, did ur MW stay with you or keep buggering off?

X

with my 1st I had one midwife with me the whole time. With my second I had 1 midwife/1male student then they switched for another midwife + female student.
xx

My MW stayed with me most of the time, but her shift ended literally just as I was meant to start pushing and they gave me the most USELESS midwife I've ever seen. She kept walking off and faffing around with paperwork! It was mainly my partner and his mum that helped me through pushing.

I had 3 different midwifes over 18 hours, the one I remember and who is a walking endorsement for being a midwife was the second one. She was amazing and even stayed an extra hour as she thought I was going to give birth, I cried when she had to go. All my midwifes stayed with me, well done you! xx

I had a student midwife, and she would pop in the room check my blood pressure and then say be back in a minute and then she would leave for a good 20/30 minutes, this happened for 5 hours and I found it really annoying because in my first labour I had three different midwives and each would stay in the room and chat, be there for extra support.
In the last hour she was in the room a fair amount but I had the gas and air by then so couldn't care less haha

xXx

Mine kept leaving until pushin stage.. Dont blame her though.. 2 midwives to 4 women in labour lol i also had a 11 hour labour.. 5 of which were at home

what midwife? mine didn't arrive til about half an hour after giving birth! :haha: the paramedics were fab though :thumbup:

I didnt go into hospital until i was 9cm dilated..
MW checked me over said i was 9cm, went out the room to get towels etc. Came in and said push..
Then stayed until baby was born having a nice convo about roast dinner between contractions (it was sunday and the lovely MW stayed even though she had finished her shift and was meant to be going home to cook when i arrived).
X

My 2nd labour was under 3 hours and she was out the room most the time getting bits and bobs and trying to find blood pressure cuffs. When it came to the actual delivery they didnt have the placenta injection ready or anything for the baby, oops!

i had a short labour and spent most me it in the pool. She basically left me to it. Just coming in to monitor bub's hb. Then once she came in and i said i needed to push. I'd only been in labour about 4 hours so she didn't believe me. Lets just say after she examined me i wasn't left on my own.

To be honest i liked being left to it for most of the time. I was doing ok pain wise so ties wasn't much she would have been able to anyway.

Aw thinking about it makes me want to do it all over again!!! Xx

barely saw anyone and i didnt have ANYONE with me, was with my nana till around 10 when they told her to go as as most likely nothing would happen till tomorrow :dohh: started contracting more or less straight away, she came in a couple of times to take the machine off and check i wasa contracting but after that i was alone till 12, went in the bath and was alone again untill 3, put me in the bath again and then they broke my waters and checked me, can recall seeing them again when they scanned me, everyhting after that is a blurr lol!!
birthing partners didnt come till around 5am!

My midwife was crap. In part I do blame her for my section. She was about to finish her training and was only young. She barely spoke to me or FOB, she seemed like she didnt want to be there and when ever she was in the room she just did paperwork then left. Completly useless. Even when I was pushing she barely spoke to me expect to tell me I was doing it wrong. I was 4cm and she refused me gas and air but did offer my pethadine (even with a babys heart rate that wasnt amazingly stable :wall: ). I have beef with that midwife. She seemed very annoyed at me for keeping her so long in recovery and then had the nerve to snap at my parents when they came to say hello when I was being taken out of recovery to the ward.

Ill stop now. I could go on.....

Ta ladies. Sorry i cant thank individually my phone wont let me grrr!

I forgot to add the MW who delieved me never left my side which was nice but i was only pushing 20mins anyway.

Oh and I didlt mind not having her with me all the time as OH said i apparently zoned out anyway lol. To cope with the pain i remember just squeezin the mattress and concentrating really hard. Personally the worst bit for me was the dry mouth!

Dont get me wrong, when MW did check on me she seemed nice enough lol..i didnt talk anyway lol so i probably bored her, OH said i didnt talk to him either lol.

X

I had a mw with me at all times as I had a long labour that failed to progress. My mw set up a little table in my room & did her paperwork!

My midwife was crap. In part I do blame her for my section. She was about to finish her training and was only young. She barely spoke to me or FOB, she seemed like she didnt want to be there and when ever she was in the room she just did paperwork then left. Completly useless. Even when I was pushing she barely spoke to me expect to tell me I was doing it wrong. I was 4cm and she refused me gas and air but did offer my pethadine (even with a babys heart rate that wasnt amazingly stable :wall: ). I have beef with that midwife. She seemed very annoyed at me for keeping her so long in recovery and then had the nerve to snap at my parents when they came to say hello when I was being taken out of recovery to the ward.

Ill stop now. I could go on.....

:hugs:

xxx

I felt like I saw about 5 different midwifes, I was induced and just when my birth partners went home my contractions started, I was alone until about 40 minutes before she was born. I was on a ward and had to walk up a corridor to get pain killers and then an hr later I had to press the buzzer for help and the midwife came and then actually believed me that I was in labour. Finally 3 hrs after birth partners had gone home they come back to be with me for the last 40 minutes. I hate the way they dont believe you, this was my 3rd child and I warned them once waters go thats it, well they soon found out that for themselves and the poor girl on the ward who was getting induced a few days later must have been terrified. sorry for going on but no I didnt hardly see my midwifes. They just popped in and out now and then.

I had a homebirth so I had 2 midwives to myself from the time they arrived and agreed yes I was in labour until they left afterwards! It was a wonderful experience.

:hugs: to everyone who didn't get the attention they should've x x

I had a student midwife with me the whole time, a few different midwifes came in during my labour and when I got to pushing I had 2, a student and the top midwife. The top midwife came in for 5 mins had a look and I heard her say something about intervention so after she left I gave it all I had and by the time she came back I had the baby :)

When I got to the hospital I was fully dilated so she stayed. I even got another midwife cos I spent 5 hours pushing, and the head midwife kept coming to check all was ok.

I had the same mw for the 12 hours she even stayed after her shift to deliver lo as he was delivered 15 mins after shift finished and waited with me until the consultant stitched me up.

Only time she wasn't with me was her hour lunch break and to make me and dh some toast and cups of tea during labour and afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"