Dying..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Tink1o5, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Tink1o5

Tink1o5 Mom of 3

Well i need some reassurance or comfort or something, because im suddenly starting to get worried about dying while giving birth :cry: :cry:

2. honeygrl

honeygrl Well-Known Member

We all have that little fear in the back of our mind. What always helps me get rid of it is the thought that poeple way less healthy than me have babies all the time. And people with severe handicaps get through it too. In fact a friend of mine was told NEVER ever have kids or she would die due to her heart defect... she had one anyway and did just fine! Modern medicine has come a long way!

Plus the statistics are on your side. In the US, only 11 in 100,000 women die in childbirth.

Just make sure you eat well and exercise. Hell, my mom ate nothing but fries when she was pregnant with me AND she smoked weed AND cigarettes AND drank alcohol and she made it through just fine! (and miraculously, I did too without any complications.. infact she had more complications with my brother after she had quit doing all that stuff)

3. Tatertot

Tatertot Well-Known Member

I sometimes think of that too. But really, is there any reason why you would when most other people don't? Probably not. Just remind yourself that women have been having babies for zillions of years under all kinds of conditions and most are fine. Take a deep breath! :hugs:

4. WhosThatGirl

WhosThatGirl Mommy of 4 amazing kids!

I'm not so afraid of dying as I am something bad happening where I go into a coma or something. But my reason for that was a news story on the news awhile ago about a lady who gave birth, had a c section and developed some sort of infection and was in a coma and she ended up losing her feet and 1 of her hands and her vision. I read their blog all the time (here if you are interested http://sccsdecker.blogspot.com/2008/06/synopsis.html ) to see how she is doing now. I know its soooooooooooo rare stuff like that happens but I cant help but worry! So just know that your worries are "normal"!!

5. etcetera

etcetera Well-Known Member

I'm afraid of that too. I told my boyfriend that if it's life or death between me and the baby, for them to save the baby.

He didn't like that very much, but it's my decision, and my child's life comes first.

6. MsLesley

MsLesley Well-Known Member

its hard..but you have to learn to control that fear...and it certainly can be done. there is a VERY SMALL chance that that will actually happen...so small that i can stress it enough.

this is how i try to control my fears. I think about the fact that sometime i can let a fear over consume me to the point that it takes over my every thought and effects the way i live...but then, in the end, it doesnt even happen. so i wasted that whole time worrying for nothing and only putting more stress on my body. I figure thats not really worth it.

being pregnant in itself cause be one of the most stressful times in a womans life. She constantly worries if her baby is going to be ok, how she looks, if she will get her body back to normal, if there will be complications...the list goes on. the fact is, that we dont have much control on those kind of things and the stress can only do more harm then good in more ways then you think. the only thing that we can do, is try to do the best for our unborn children and ourselves by eating right, taking our vitamins, getting regular check ups and leaving the rest up to faith that everything will be great.

i understand your fear...but i hope you can learn to overcome it so you can enjoy your pregnancy to its fullest ;)

7. sleepinbeauty

sleepinbeauty WTT#1 after marriage

I told my OH the same thing. HE didn't like it either. Guess the paternal instinct doesn't hit as quickly as the maternal one lol

8. LogansMama

LogansMama Well-Known Member

The OH's don't "know" the baby yet... they just know YOU. I think thats why!

9. BABYCAREY

BABYCAREY mummy to a angel

I THINK THIS IS SOMETHING ALL MUMS HAVE TO DEAL WITH WHEN PREGNANT AND EVEN AFTER THE BIRTH. WE ALL THINK OF OUR MORTALITY AND OF THIS LITTLE 1 WE HAVE BROUGHT INTO THE WORLD. ITS TOTALLY NORMAL!! WELCOME TO MOTHERHOOD :hugs:

10. katieeandbump

katieeandbump Well-Known Member

aww hunni! this is exactly the same thing i worry about :( its strange isnt it! i have a heart problem and the docs say there wont be anything to worry about but on my notes im put as high risk because of my heart! so yeh im also pooing one :( but will just have to see how it all goes :) <3 xx

11. trashit

trashit Guest

Its really important not to scare yourself with statistics and horror stories, i did too much of it in the very early days that now i'm just flicking past them and trying not to think the worst! It rarely happens in this day and age, i'm sure we'll all be absolutely fine!xx