E-Coli Outbreak

tink30

Reaction score
Whats yr views ladies on the recent news on salads etc..

Slightly scared as that's all I've been eating for a few months as my snack meal. with IBS I'm limited for food choice and I love my salad.

It's spanish cucumbers, my mum was in spain last week and got the worst food poisoning of her life, she collapsed in her hotel room and she's never collapsed before! Pretty scary, I blame the evil cucumbers!

oh gosh girls .. sorry to hear yr mum was ill..i was driving home today and heard tomatoes, lettuce.. etc..aswell.. what a time to hear this.. when salads would be great and full o vits.. be great is someone knows the in's and outs xx

I hadn't heard about this so thanks for posting about it! I was eating a lot of salads up until 6 weeks when my morning sickness kicked in. For some reason after that lettuce was disgusting. I had my first salad since 6 weeks last night! I'll be keeping away for awhile now, though!

No problem hun, you will see this on the news in the next few days.. just 7 cases in the uk at the mo.. but something to be aware of I think xx:hugs:

even here in seychelles we've hear of this,we are usually so isolated on these topics,it seems everything is not good to eat these day,pork cos of swine flu,chickens and ducks cos of birdflu,beef cos of mad cow disease,fish coz of mercury now is even our plants!!!
it must really be the end!!!!

here is more about the new outbreak. i am growing my own garden this year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/health-13626499

Washing Everything extra well !! I had severe food poisoning after a holiday in centerparcs in 2010 - it lasted3 weeks and was poor awful. I've always been obsessive with food prep, but now I'm pregnant and 4 young children I'm super super cautious now !!!
The kids and I love our salad, fruit and veg so I'm washing it all ad soon as I've bought it before it gets put away
We also grow alot of out own so I'm hoping for a good crop this year !!

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're not planning on visiting Germany (particularly the Hamburg area) any time soon. Almost all of those who have gotten sick either live in Germany or recently visited Germany.

Here's an article: https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43248315/ns/health-food_safety/

It's always best to wash fruit/veggies well and practice good hygiene with raw foods like meat anyway though.

Im just pleased its turned out to be nothing to do with Spain seeing as though i live there, typical Germans, blaming everyone else first, however, i think i may just be giving salad a miss for a while and eating more veg!! On top of all the worry about our unborn babies this is all we need!! Tut!!!

I hate salad so it doesn't effect me but if I did eat it then I would avoid cucumbers.

Im just pleased its turned out to be nothing to do with Spain seeing as though i live there, typical Germans, blaming everyone else first, however, i think i may just be giving salad a miss for a while and eating more veg!! On top of all the worry about our unborn babies this is all we need!! Tut!!!

The source of the outbreak is still unknown. It's the job of the health authorities to inform citizens of their findings and, at the time, cucumbers imported from Spain looked like the cause. If they were to have stayed quiet and the cucumbers were in fact the cause then people would complain because there was no warning. So, no matter what, people will complain, countries of source will get "blamed", farmers will suffer from financial losses, no one ends up happy. :shrug: Let's just hope it gets under control soon enough.

The source of the outbreak is still unknown. It's the job of the health authorities to inform citizens of their findings and, at the time, cucumbers imported from Spain looked like the cause. If they were to have stayed quiet and the cucumbers were in fact the cause then people would complain because there was no warning. So, no matter what, people will complain, countries of source will get "blamed", farmers will suffer from financial losses, no one ends up happy. :shrug: Let's just hope it gets under control soon enough.

Its been on the Spanish news and in the Spanish press that Spain is not to blame and our agricultural minister is suing for compensation over false claims and that Hamburg made these claims without any proof!! I agree with you 100% that countries tend to get blamed before there is any proof out there and feel so sorry for the farmers who's livelyhood gets a bashing!
We are going to go to the farmers market in the morning to get some fresh veg and we'll see if there are any cucumbers there and if anyone is buying them!! Its a shame because i love Spanish cucumbers and if i wasnt pregnant i would still be eating them but because i have my little bean to think about now i think ill be stocking up on other greens like cabbage, i love raw cabbage but my oh doesnt, he said they make my bottom burps even worse!! Cheeky! bugger!
haha!!
xxxxxx:blush::haha:

I have barely eaten any veggies since the outbreak. Normally I'm not so paranoid but now that I'm pregnant I'm just too scared. At least I don't live in worst hit Hamburg..
Any veggies we do end up eating we should be sure to double, even triple wash, can never be too cautious while pregnant!

I can't stand cucumber or tomatoes anyways, so it doesn't affect me but if I did I would prob stay clear of them for a while. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->