Early arrival of Isaac Ivor. 5-11-11. little long ;)

hawalkden

Reaction score
Here goes. May become long and random bits added; I'll just type what I remember :). Enjoy :thumbup:..

Friday 4th November

After seeing the midwife on Wednesday and giving her a 24 hour (not so glamorous) urine sample which was in a chemical clear bottle! She said to come back to her on Monday 7th for the results and BP Profile reading. During all Friday I felt fine just tired and bored of being on the sofa all day with raised legs for the swelling. At 4pm I texted OH asking if I should ring the midwife and see what she suggested because I'd felt sick since dinner time and my legs had started to get the 'shine' on the (added water build up. Pre-eclampsia symptoms) midwife said any single symptom phone up. So phoned and she said I had an appointment with her at 6pm.

Told OH what was happening and he was planning to go skating that night! He'd not been for months. I felt guilty but he understood. Got to the hospital and was put on the BP machine and then baby monitor. The midwife got the doctor to see me and look over my BP readings and urine collection. They came back about an hour later and said I was stopping in and was going to be given steroid injections as my results came back high.

At 8pm I was taken to the Birthing Suite and kept on the monitor. Peanuts heart beat was all good and was rather happy inside! I was given a cervix check and I was 1cm softening. Previously on the Wednesday I was 2cm. The doctor came to see me and said at 11pm I'll be given my first steroid the at 11am next day the next and then 11pm the gel to start everything. Which I understood and was debating weather OH should go home for a good night sleep or stay with me on the uncomfortable chair. We decided he should stay. I was then told I needed the sliding scale (insulin drip) put up due to the steroid injections can make my blood sugars high. The midwife tried to get a cannula in but couldn't so the doctor said we'll get the anaesthetic to come and do it due to me worrying and BP getting higher.

The anaesthetic came and it shamefully took her 5 attempts which two of them she gave me local apathetic round the area so she could play around for a vain without hurting me. After the forth and final attempt of getting it in she looked very embarrassed that it took her so long!

Once the sliding scale was up the midwife said my steroid injection was due. When I saw the needle size I panicked and she made oh get me on my side and before I knew it she'd jabbed me in my bum and it was done! It was around 11.30 by this point and needed sleep so tried to get comfy but keeping the baby monitor happy charting babies heart rate! OH was flat out bless squashed on the chair!

Saturday 5th November

Then around 2am I woke up in more pain. Midwife checked me again and I was 2cm this time. Then around 2.30 I needed a wee well felt like it. So got the drip and monitoring dots off stood up and when I did just felt like I'd weed all over the floor.

I just let out a 'owwww' OH laughed at my reaction and wished he got a photo of it. I said I think I've weed but when I looked down it was blooded and my bump looked a lot smaller so midwife came in and said my waters had broken got me back on the bed for examining. I was still 2cms. I tired to get back to sleep but the contractions where coming every 6/7 minutes and couldn't stand much of them in a row so she suggested diamorphine which I took gladly and didn't think about the needle/injection! After about 30 minutes I was feeling very tired so was in a light sleep. Still feeling the contractions.

At around 4.30 I was awake and the midwife and OH was in the room the midwife left me and OH said he was going for a wee in the toilet in the room. I heard it all and remember them going so went to sleep again then a contractions started and all I remember was screaming because noone was in the room! OH was shouting 'I'm here two mins!' he rushed out hands wet though trying to dry them! Bless.:dooh:

I think because of the diamorphine I just was to spaced out. I was given gas and air too which didn't help that much and to be honest looking back the diamporphine just made me tired which distracted me from the contractions.

So every contractions I just consecrated on the gas and air and OH looked at the monitor to tell me to stop taking it in because I was either going to sleep or to woozy to realise the contractions had eased!

At around 6am I was given another dose of the diamorphine and again was very sleepy. OH said to the midwife if he could have it for me when I got home! How rude! Half an hour later I was just about getting to sleep when midwife woke me up but when she did I grabbed the bed bars and coward into the corner whilst climbing the bed! Don't know why but just my adrenaline and fear took over me at once and she was a little taken back OH just laughed whilst stroking my head telling me I was okay :). I don't even remember what she was asking/telling me all I heard was I don't think I'll wake her again if I don't need to and they both laughed!

I was in and out of sleep till around 10.30am with the same 6/7 mild to getting strong contractions and that is when I was examined and I'd gone from 4-8cm in 20 minutes. So the consultant came to examine me and OMG :o he had shovel hands they where hugeee. When he was examining me I was climbing the bed with the pain. He was then trying to turn the babies head just incase because how fast I'd gone to 8cms.

Then when he left every contractions felt like I needed to push but I knew it was to early and worrying I'd rip loads. So I was having my hand over my moo moo.. the midwife wanted to see if the head was coming but I just couldn't let my hand go when the contractions where there. I felt the pressure in my bum though!

About 10minutes after that the contractions where very high but the babies heart rate dropped. They tried to get me on my side to see if it was just the baby's position but it was hurting to much I couldn't stay there then about 8 members of staff and a man in a suit came in and I got all worried. They came from nowhere! I was Screaming at him wanting to know who he was. He said he was the consultant on duty that night and looked like emergency forceps were going to be needed due to Peanuts heart rate dropping. OH was trying to calm me down and saying take the gas and air. I just turned to him with the most evil look at head movement saying ' I AM HAVING THE GAS & AIR!'. Then I turned away from him :blush: but making sure he still had he hand there. I feel bad now for it though!

Then the midwife said I needed to sign for a 'Emergency C-Section' consent form just in case when we got to theatre etc. I just put H.A (first and middle initials!) then a scribble because of the angle I was on! Then I was having another contractions but they decided I needed to go to theatre there and then and because the Gas & Air was attached to the wall I couldn't take it with me. I got this nurse dragging the wire off me and I still had the mouth piece in my mouth so I spat it out. When we was in the corridor I was screaming from OH he replied saying he was there but he was at the back of all the staff.

We got to theatre and OH went to get his scrubs on. I was transferred onto the bed and made to put my feet on a stool and lean forward a happy chap came to see me and said he was the anaesthetist and I was going to be given a spinal block. Whilst he was cleaning my back I was telling the nurse who was holding my shoulders to talk to me about anything I didn't want the medical side/issues etc in my head. She wasn't talking much so I was asking what time it was and making her answer. Another nurse was next to me at that point and I made her tell me the time she was much nicer. I heard the anaesthetist say stinging feeling now. That's when he was putting the local anaesthetic in my back then he said 'sharp scratch' then next think I knew/felt was all numb from my breasts and down!

Then OH came in finally which felt like hours in bright orange scrubs! He looked worried when he saw my legs in the air and my body sliding down the bed. The consultant had to wait for a contractions which gave change for the staff to put me back up the bed. All I was concentrating on when they said to push was OH stroking my hand and me saying I'm not pushing. Which I was but just because I was numb I couldn’t feel my breathing. He was very concerned about me and looked all worried then I pushed again and he stood up smiling. I couldn't see the baby due to being so low down on the bed.

OH walked over to the baby area and I was asking why it wasn't crying. Then asked what it was due to us not knowing. Then the next thing I heard was. 'Jesus – he's got huge balls'.:lol:. Even the consultant who was sticking me up stopped for a moment and laughed! Then carried on stitching me which felt like hours!

OH brought our son over to us where I just cried. Not as much as I thought I would have done and all OH was doing was grinning from here to Russia off. It was that wide. Then he was saying how heavy he was!

We went to the recovery room for 15 minutes. OH went to get changed again and came back to give me Isaac. We went back to the delivery room and the midwife showed me his forceps marks and black eye just in case whilst she was out the room I'd freak out! The marks were rather bad according the midwife.

Midwife came back and told us the weight, length and labour length which was 6lb 14oz :o 49cm fair large for 35 weeks! 9 hours in total I was in labour for which she was shocked about too for it being my first. :)

She then got Isaac out to try and latch him on to the breast but he wasn't having any of it so she left skin to skin contact with me for a while whilst she went to get a pre made bottle. She took him off me and tried feeding but he just wasn't interested at all. The paediatrician came to check him over took his blood sugar. Due to my diabetes and it was low which is usually in most cases the case with diabetic. She said if it kept on going down he'd be taken to NICU.

My parents came around 1.30 with a blue boy balloon and teddy. My dad was meant to be on a stag do and joked whilst walking into the room about how his plans had been changed but then he saw Isaac and just beamed with happiness practically pushing past my mum to pick him up. Mum gave me cuddles and OH just stoked my head. I was feeling the tiredness and the numbing on my legs where going. Dad wouldn't let go of him and sat in the corner looking down at him just smiling. My parents went after about 3 hours and then OH parents came in which I was happy to see but just wanted sleep. I was drinking loads of coffee to keep me going and midwife brought me a sandwich for me and OH.

At around 7.30 OH and his parents were going. I didn't want OH to leave but I knew I wouldn't be staying all night in the delivery room and I'd at sometime be moved to the maternity ward.

Sunday 6th November
The paediatrician came every hour for a heal test and test his sugars. They where steady but he wasn't taken a feed. At 2.30am (I'd been awake 24 hours then!) a midwife and porter came to say I was going on the ward now. She got Isaac out his crib and a bottle. She said try and give him this whilst on the way down. He was wide away but the corridor lights were to bring so he just cried!

Got on to the ward and I was put into the 4 bed bay and the midwife took Isaac off me and said get sleep I'll feed him. About 10 minutes later she came in with the doctor and said he was going NICU for his breathing and not feeding which I knew was going to happen. So I gave him a kiss and cuddle then was moved into a single room. I kind of had a good nights sleep and was woken at 8 for breakfast. I was still unsteady on my feed but managed after breakfast and when OH came to go down to NICU.

After getting into NICU and see Isaac in the incubator the doctor came over and explained what was happening. He was on a glucose drip, tube feeding, under the UV lamp for the jaundice he was developing due to the scars on he side of face and neck and was on 20% oxygen due to breathing being a little hard.

He was in the incubator for 5 days. I was an inpatient for 7 days and on Saturday night I asked to go home. I just couldn't stay another night being away from OH was worse at that time then not having cuddles off Isaac. It's draining now because we've got to get 2 buses to go and see him and with money being tight and me and OH staying from 11-7 every day since Sunday and until he's aloud home feels like Isaac is home with the 12-4-6am wake up calls to express.

Monday 14th November
At the moment well today Isaac was back under the UV lamp due to small amount of jaundice coming back so he's taken a few steps back because yesterday he took 4 bottles in a row and with being on 60ml its a lot to ask for him. Even though the size of him is large I keep forgetting he's a prem baby and only 35 weeks :). So he's come a long way and as soon as the UV lamp is away and the jaundice goes I know he'll take full feeds again and not just down the tube :). So it's just taking his time now and hopefully he'll be home very soon.

So that's my birth story :). hope it wasn't to long and as I've typed this I'm smiling at how short the labour was and how little pain relief I had. I don't want to think if I went to 38 weeks (being induced, due to Diabetes) with him being a chubby baby now! At the moment though I'm trying to deal with over leaking of Daisy the Cow breasts.

Whilst at the hospital visiting Isaac I can use their ace double pump which I get from only 7 minutes 110ml from each breast which is good; but at home I've got one electric and one manual which is hard work because I leak every where I get stressed and frustrated. So when I'm in seeing Isaac and just before I go home I drain my breasts to make the super empty which I find helps a lot and it's less full during the night at home :).

P.S. I think Isaac just didn't want to miss out on the Bonfire Celebrations :D

Attachments

• November 047.jpg
    November 047.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 37
congrats on your little 1. Hes beautiful, and great size for 5 weeks early.xx

Huge congrats hun! He is gorgeous and what a brillint size! I hope he is homme where he belongs very soon :hugs: x x x

Congratulations, he looks like he is smiling in his photo! Well done, he is gorgeous x

Congrats! He is adorable. :) I hope his stay in the hospital is short and you can all be together really soon. :hugs:

https://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/pamelasdesigns/congratulations-stork-and-baby-cart.jpg

The moment a child is born,
The mother is also born.
She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never.
A mother is something absolutely new.
:kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"