Early.. but who is not planning to circumcise?

Bot it SHOULDNT be a personal decision- it should be the childs decision, when he is old enough to decide for himself. Im not against the actual procedure if its what that person chooses, I just dont think its our place to do it for them xxxxx

If they don't get circumsized as babies,boys will do it later in life.And it will be much more painful and dangerous.
Not to mention the teasing and not being comfortable with their own bodies.

It is a cultural thing and honestly it should be questioned and debated between the same culture (in this case North America).

Also, my husband informed me of an extremely barbaric practice in Africa. I had no idea of this, but apparently women over there are circumcised (their clits are cut off) to prevent them from cheating on their husbands!!! That just showed me how nonsensical circumcision is (at least to me). Of course everyone is allowed their own opinion. My mind is made up though.

This is an extremely barbaric procedure done to girls (in pre-teen years) so it would stop them having an orgasm since it's only a privilage for the man.

Not to mention that a large percentage of these girls die during the procedure which is preformed in extremely unhygenic conditions,not to mention the pain that they are fully aware of.

In my opinion,it shouldn't be mentioned in context of male circumcision as the technical term for it is 'Female mutilation' and has nothing to do with what is done to boys.
No circumcised man is harmed in any way IMO...they lead lives as every man who isn't circumcised.

i dont think it is disquisting and grose and unheathly and what not as me and OH has descused when i get pregnant if its a boy we will not circumsize him as muy OH is not circumsized, and he is really heathly and its natural i think.

Also, my husband informed me of an extremely barbaric practice in Africa. I had no idea of this, but apparently women over there are circumcised (their clits are cut off) to prevent them from cheating on their husbands!!! That just showed me how nonsensical circumcision is (at least to me). Of course everyone is allowed their own opinion. My mind is made up though.

OWEEEE!!! I heard about this too! Apparently, in some cultures young girls are 'sewn up' so their husbands know they're virgins when they consummate (sp?) their relationship...

Luckily it's not traditional in the UK to circumcise our boys, but if it was, I don't think I could do it! It's down to both parents at the end of the day :)

i think its really strange how in the usa its rarther normal but in the uk its strange :S i wouldnt do it to charlie! im pretty sure over here you cant opt for it any way :S

We're not circumcising our LO if we have a boy. I don't feel the need for it personally.

Ugh, circumcision threads. These always end up with people getting pissed at each other, and I kind of get it... I mean, it ticks me off with people comparing female genital mutilation (where the clitoris is removed and women are rendered incapable of feeling most sexual pleasure) and male circumcision. I remember reading once that the two would be similar if the head of the penis and most of the shaft were to be totally removed on the male, it is that detrimental. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

That said, our son will be circumsized. My husband is adamant on this. He is circumsized and contrary to what it seems some people believe, is perfectly sensitive and we have a wonderful, normal sex life (obviously, 'cause I'm completely knocked up!:dohh:). Clearly he doesn't see himself as having suffered for lack of foreskin -- though if you've never had it, I suppose you don't know to miss it.

It's much more common over in the States, though, so I understand why it would be considered pretty out there if only a slight minority of men have it done where you are. But I think you've got to watch your words, either way. Whether or not you agree/disagree, you have to know that it's not right to either describe an uncircumsized penis as "disgusting", or on the other hand, to suggest that you are somehow abusing your child by choosing to have them circumsized. Being that black and white is never a good thing, IMO. Me, I'm happy to agree to disagree.:hugs:

I just checked the stats and the circumcision rate in Canada as of 2005 is 9.2%. It is not recommended by the heath boards and is not covered by any government heath plans.

that shocks me.. i've never been with a guy who hasn't been circumsized.. me and OH were talking about this earlier, and as a man, he would prefer LO is circumsized if we do have a boy. Like someone else said, we don't have penises, so we don't understand.

I think it's a totally personal decision and people shouldn't be looked at as horrible parents for choosing to, or not to get their child circumsized. A baby isn't going to remember this.

i think therers more chance of getting an infection during a procedure in hospital than a perfectly healthy un circumcised penis getting a random infection!!!!

its totally cosmetic can you imagine getting a newborn girl botox or a boob job!!!! erm no

Its not totally cosmetic, as some people, such as my OH had it done when he was young for medical reasons.
I will not be getting my son circumsised, unless he needs it, such as medical reasons like my OH.

Ugh, circumcision threads. These always end up with people getting pissed at each other, and I kind of get it... I mean, it ticks me off with people comparing female genital mutilation (where the clitoris is removed and women are rendered incapable of feeling most sexual pleasure) and male circumcision. I remember reading once that the two would be similar if the head of the penis and most of the shaft were to be totally removed on the male, it is that detrimental. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

I disagree. I guess we all have different ideas of what is barbaric and unacceptable. Removing the female clitoris would be nothing like removing the head and most of the shaft of the penis. Think about where the female's urethra is. How would men urinate if you removed the head of their penis? I think that removing the clitoris vs. the foreskin would be similiar ideas and could be compared. Either way, cutting off any part of a male's or female's sex organ seems wrong to me (unless, of course, it is medically necessary).

Notice I said "seems wrong to me". I did not say that you are a bad parent if you choose to circumcise your son. I don't remember anyone saying that as a matter of fact. There is really no need to be defensive about this.

Regardless, this is a parental decision we all must make on our own.

It's true that the U.S. is the only place where this is even partially considered a norm. However, that is changing, as only around 50% of new baby boys are currently being circumcised here now. I think most people are becoming educated as to how needless this procedure is. I don't think that boys here who are being left uncircumcised currently will suffer socially in any way as the trend in our society is at least half and half right now. When these boys are grown, around half of their peers will be circumcised / uncircumcised, so the social issue is irrelevant.

And for men who have this done later in life the procedure is MUCH less painful then it would be when they were an infant. They only use local anesthesia on infants because it is dangerous to use a full anaesthesia (where they would go to sleep). Obviously, this is not an issue for older children and adults so they are given a full anaesthetic (where they go to sleep during surgery). That is MUCH less painful, obviously.

I, for one, never said parents on either side of this debate are "bad parents" like some of you claim. I don't think anyone else did either. It's not that hard to debate an issue without making personal judgements about other people. Please don't take this so personally.

:hug:

i think therers more chance of getting an infection during a procedure in hospital than a perfectly healthy un circumcised penis getting a random infection!!!!

its totally cosmetic can you imagine getting a newborn girl botox or a boob job!!!! erm no

Its not totally cosmetic, as some people, such as my OH had it done when he was young for medical reasons.
I will not be getting my son circumsised, unless he needs it, such as medical reasons like my OH.

i no love my brother had it done when he was 5ish as his was 2 small if i remember rightly and kept ripping and getting infected

My son is not circumcised and if I have another boy he will not be either. It is not necessary, and IMO shouldn't be done unless medically necessary. You're not allowed to cut up other parts of your baby because you feel like it why is the penis any different?

Everybody will do what they see best for their baby, and that's all a parent can be asked to do

I disagree. I guess we all have different ideas of what is barbaric and unacceptable. Removing the female clitoris would be nothing like removing the head and most of the shaft of the penis. Think about where the female's urethra is. How would men urinate if you removed the head of their penis? I think that removing the clitoris vs. the foreskin would be similiar ideas and could be compared. Either way, cutting off any part of a male's or female's sex organ seems wrong to me (unless, of course, it is medically necessary).

From the WHO:

Female genital mutilation is classified into four major types:

Clitoridectomy: partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals) and, rarely, the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris) as well.
Excision: partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora, with or without excision of the labia majora (the labia are "the lips" that surround the vagina).
Infibulation: narrowing of the vaginal opening through the creation of a covering seal. The seal is formed by cutting and repositioning the inner, and sometimes outer, labia, with or without removal of the clitoris.
Other: all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.
FGM has no health benefits, and it harms girls and women in many ways. It involves removing and damaging healthy and normal female genital tissue, and interferes with the natural functions of girls' and women's bodies.

Immediate complications can include severe pain, shock, haemorrhage (bleeding), tetanus or sepsis (bacterial infection), urine retention, open sores in the genital region and injury to nearby genital tissue.

Long-term consequences can include:

-recurrent bladder and urinary tract infections;
-cysts;
-infertility;
-the need for later surgeries. For example, the FGM procedure that seals or narrows a vaginal opening (type 3 above) is surgically changed to allow for sexual intercourse and childbirth, and sometimes stitched close again afterwards;
-an increased risk of childbirth complications and newborn deaths.

From womenshealth.gov:

Who performs FGC?
FGC is usually carried out by traditional practitioners or lay persons who use a variety of instruments, which range from a scalpel to a piece of glass, to conduct the procedure. Harsh, unsterile conditions under which FGC occurs are not conducive to accurate, hygienic cutting.1 With the increasing awareness of the health consequences of FGC, health providers have erroneously utilized more hygienic techniques to conduct FGC and "improve" the practice. However, this medicalization of FGC has been condemned by the World Health Organization and is considered to perpetuate and promote FGC rather than to prevent or reduce its practice.2

What are the consequences of FGC?
The potential physical complications resulting from the procedure are numerous. Because FGC is often carried out without anesthesia, an immediate effect of the procedure is pain. Short-term complications, such as severe bleeding, which can lead to shock or death, are greatly affected by the type of FGC performed, the degree of struggle by the woman or girl, unsanitary operating conditions, and inexperienced practitioners or inadequate medical services once a complication occurs. There is a very high risk of infection, with documented reports of ulcers, scar tissue and cysts. Female genital cutting may also interfere with a woman's pregnancy or labor. Other lasting effects that commonly result from FGC procedures include urine retention, resulting in repeated urinary infections and obstruction in menstrual flow, which may lead to frequent reproductive tract infections, infertility1,2,3 and chronic pelvic pain.3 FGC is also thought to facilitate the transmission of HIV through several mechanisms. Significant psychological and psychosexual consequences of FGC exist, but these factors have not been adequately studied.1,2,3

-------------------------------

THAT is why the comparison is offensive to me. You would be hard-pressed to find any legitimate medical source that would disagree that the two procedures (FGM and male circumcision) are very, very different. I honestly don't mind at all if people choose to have their child circumcised or not. I don't even care if people believe male circumcision to be 'mutilation'. It's just that FGM and circumcision are so vastly different that the comparison bothers me.

:hug: Ahh, no more circumcision talk! I'm going to go worry about packing my hospital bags again.:dohh:

i no love my brother had it done when he was 5ish as his was 2 small if i remember rightly and kept ripping and getting infected

This was the same as my OH, and he was around the same age, although i dont know the ins and outs i know it was painful when he went to the toilet and causing many problems..
I believe in cases where it is neccesary that circumcision is ok, so it is not totally cosmetic.. howver i agree that if there is no problem that it is totally cosmetic.. But everyone to their own i suppose

A very personal subject where no one is right nor wrong in their views.

My personal choice is not to havemy child circumcised if it is a boy, mainly due to none of my family having this done as a child. This said my Dad, older brother and one of my younger brothers all had to get one done due to medical reasons and it was done under anaesthetic and they had pain relief.
Having also seen children and adults being circumcised due to my work and also seen the results of female circumcision which in my view is butchery ( but again this is just my view and I understand it is done due to personal beliefs, they just happen not to be mine!) I would leave things be and let nature take its course....if further down the line it needed done so be it.

If my husband was adimant that our child was to be circumcised I am afraid he would be the one to take them to get it done a I personally couldnt put my child through pain for no real reason in my opinion.

Emma.xx

If we have a boy, he will not be circumcised. My hubby wasn't, and we don't see the need to have it done.

No, no one is a bad parent. I would never go so far as to question anyone else's decision on this one, whatever they decided. I just feel that it is not necessary anymore, so why do it 9in my opinion).

And I know that these threads can get quite heated, but I honestly did want to know.

And as someone asked (meant to quote but got distracted) - yes, I have dated an uncircumcised man. I know what it looks like either way.

Criticize me if you must, but if I have a boy, he'll be circumsized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->