Early days breastfeeding Qu

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Bec L, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bec L

Bec L Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy

As I didn't have a 'typical' first couple of weeks when Poppy came along (as she was in SCBU) I just wondered if anyone actually manages to get through the early days/weeks of b/f without supplementing with formula?

From what I have read on this forum, and some friends experiences, it seems as if it is enevitable. Just curious really :blush:

2. Sarah88

Sarah88 Full time working mummy

I think it would be possible, but yu would be feeding and expressing non stop.

3. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

It's entirely possible and I'm sure everyone that gave their LO formula regrets it (myself included,) if they really want to BF.

4. Bec L

Bec L Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that giving formula should be classed as a negative thing.

5. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

Oh I know! I'm just saying, it makes everything 100 times harder :dohh:

6. Jemima

Jemima Mother of One

I have never given Poppy formula. x

7. jenstar

jenstar Well-Known Member

My baby first got formula at 5 wks old, and I don't regret it because he would have starved otherwise, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't need to.

I only know one other person who has had to give extra formula in real life, and I go to bf-ing clubs so I've met a lot of bf-ing mothers.

8. Sarah88

Sarah88 Full time working mummy

Babies don't eat much in the first couple of days. I remember when Savannah was born, she would not latch on at all, in the end they got me to express some into a cup and they syringe fed her. I managed maybe a ml in total and the mw said it was heaps.

9. nataliecn

nataliecn Mommy to Grady and WTT!

While at the hospital, Grady was given some formula by the nurse as he was so fussy, he wouldn't latch on at all, he was screaming bloody murder, and we did everything to calm him, but the moment he went back by the boob, he'd scream.

That was the only time we've had to do it. I think he was just so over-tired and hungry from struggling that second night with BF'ing, that the formula helped cause he didn't have to work for it. And now he's great. Well - most of the time! lol.

10. Dottie

Dottie Well-Known Member

My baby was given formula for two days much to my upset because she was early and in scbu and they couldn't let her dehydrate. Ever since then she has been exclusivley breast fed

11. babymama

babymama Mom to Phoenix

I consider myself very blessed as Phoenix seemed to know exactly how to latch on from the day he was born (much to my suprise) The first few days were a bit of a struggle getting use to the sucking, but now, a week later, it's smooth sailing. Both baby and I are really happy.