Early pregnancy scan - need advice

J

Jadew1991

Hi everyone!

I found out last week Im pregnant, but I had been having period pains over the last 2 weeks or so. I was referred for an early scan, and at the scan was dated 5 weeks 6 days.

When they finally found the yolk sac, they said that there wasn't anything in it :( I'm so worried. They have referred me back in 2 weeks for another scan as they did say that sometimes you can't see anything before 6 weeks?

I phoned my midwife to reschedule appointment and when I mentioned this to her she seemed to be 'oh okay well try not to worry, I think it's best I see you after the appointment' so now that's made me worry even more :(

This is my second pregnancy and I have a 4 year old daughter, I had no early problems with her and have never miscarried.. has anyone ever been here? Thanks in advance x

Do you mean the gestational sac had nothing in it? It's the gestational sac that contains the yolk sac and fetal pole. Was it a tummy or an internal scan? I think it's a little bit early to worry just yet, especially if your dates are off by a day or two. With one of mine we just saw an empty sac at 5 and a half weeks and she was fine

It's quite common not to see the fetal pole before 6 weeks. Happened to me, and I just saw the gestational sac and yolk sac at 5w4d. Went back at 7w1d (got put back a couple of days) and everything was fine, and we saw the flashing heartbeat on the screen. Try not to worry really is the right (albeit unhelpful) advice here... if you're not bleeding then there's every chance that everything will be fine at your next scan. :hugs:

Thanks lauraloo that's comforting to hear! There was a yolk sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat. Do you think it could just be too early to tell. They dated me at 6 weeks today so I thought it may have picked up already :( I've heard of women seeing the heartbeat at 5 weeks and fetal pole.

Mrs b, thank you! It's nice to hear you went through the same thing. Were you worried at the first scan when they told you it was just the yolk sac. I mean, it could be the way that doctors are about it that makes us worry... we have been trying for 2 years aswell (partner has low sperm count and weak swimmers) So this felt like a miracle. It just feels like I'm waiting for something to go wrong :(

It sounds perfectly normal for your gestation, easier said than done but try not to worry, bet at next scan you see a little baby with a heartbeat

what you have seen is perfect for your gestation and why i refuse to have a scan before 7 weeks if i can help it. There is too big of a chance that nothing will be seen. Obviously early scans are needed to rule out ectopic etc but if there are no concerns early scans tend to cause more stress than they are worth x

Exactly what 3boys said , there are many times things can't even be seen too well at 7 weeks and all is fine . I think in your case everything will work out, it sounds like it was just too early to see anything!!

Sounds like it was just too early. My midwife won't even book before 8w.
If there was a yolk then all good. Baby and heartbeat will be big enough to see next time I bet x

Try not worry until you get another scan. For me when I was pregnant with my son, at 5w6d I went to the doctors because I was bleeding the night before. I went in and got a scan the same day and there was just a sac. At 7 weeks I went for another scan there was a yolk and I think a fetal pole but no heartbeat. At 7w6d I went for another scan and there was a heartbeat at 155. My son is now 4.
These scans were all abdominal. I was measuring to date with each ultrasound, and I just checked my first ultrasound they called the sac an irregular shaped sac, so even more worrying.
I also thinks it's too early to see anything. With this pregnancy I'm going to see my doctor next week and will not agree to a dating scan until at least 8 weeks.

My OB explained to me that's why she refuse to see patients before 8weeks, there is nothing to see then, she said. I insisted on an appointment at 8 weeks, but she usually likes to see patients around 8 - 12 weeks for the first visit. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you (I am one too speak, I was so super anxious before my scan and hated that I had to wait 4 weeks since the appointment) but if you can hold out a little longer till you are 8 weeks, I think you will be very glad.

I was going to put the same thing as the other posters-try not to worry because what you saw was totally normal and expected at your gestation. I went in at 6+1 with my current pregnancy and we saw a gestational sac measuring 5+4/5 with a yolk sac. A week later, bubs was there with a lovely little flickering heartbeat.

Hi there!! I just had this happen to me last week. I was estimated at 6w 4d and only saw the yolk sac. I was devastated and was fearing the worst. They figured I was only about 5 weeks.

I just had my scan today exactly one week later and we saw baby and a healthy heartbeat of 144!! I'm now measuring 7w 3d and everything is going great. Please don't worry!! I wish I hadn't panicked as much as I did. I caused myself a ton of unnecessary stress and Google scared me more than anything. Just take it one day at a time.

Thank you everyone! You've really put my mind at rest. I'm just wishing the next week or so away so I can finally go back.

Khearts, congragulations! I bet that was just a huge relief 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"