Early reassurance scan didn't reassure me

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
So today I have had my early reassurance scan, I had an early miscarriage at about 5 weeks last November then in July this year had a miscarriage at 21 weeks, baby had died at 16.

So my last lmp was 26/09 and clear postive test on 26/10 so I'd presumed I was about 8+3, however the early reassurance had me at 7+4 and she asked me to go back in 2 weeks so didn't give me much hope 😩

I did see a heartbeat but she kept saying a tiny baby which made me think it's not going to grow.

I'm already stressed to death about this now feel worse by any pain or cramp I get!

Are my dates just wrong?

very likely dates out,i went in for early scan 2 weeks ago thinking i was 7 weeks,i was actually 5 with twins,fast forward to yesterday,another scan and put back to 7+5 and 7+3 both babies doing well,you could have implanted late but the smaller they are the quicker they grow so may be that,should also add my lmp was 25th september also,so your actually exactly the same as me,in dates as i was day before you lmp and im 1 day ahead in dates xx

I had a scan when I should have been 8 weeks along based on my lmp, but the scan showed baby was only 7 weeks. I o'd late that cycle so I wasn't too surprised. Try not to worry, seeing a heartbeat is great, you most likely just implanted late.

Honestly I wouldn't get yourself too worried, the measurement and dates can be a bit out at this stage.
Last pregnancy I went for a scan at what should have been 7+3 and I was measuring 8+1 - and then it all changed again at my 12 week scan!
This time I went for a gscan at what should have been 7+5 and I measured 7+2.
I've kind of taken no notice this time as I'm anticipating that it'll only change again at my 12 week scan anyway! It may well have changed again for you by the time you go for your next scan and/or your 12 week scan.

You'd be 8+2 today if your last period was on 26/09, so it's only a 5 day difference from your dates (you probably just ovulated or implanted late), and the fact there was a heartbeat is great!

My guess is you just ovulated a bit later than you think. Doctors are so stuck on lmp, but lmp has nothing to do with your baby's gestational age. It's all about ovulation/conception date and even then within a couple days of error for growth rates. But other than ttcers who really sits around checking bbt and opks and cm/cp to confirm O? It's just easier to use lmp and use averages. I'm glad your doctor is rescanning you in 2 week as a precaution/to double check that is the case. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry. Hugs

1. O day and implantation day affect gestational dating. A perfect storm of late O and late implantation can put you out a fair bit. I think I had late implantation, personally, which put me 5 days out from where I expected to be and made it appear as if the :sex: that resulted in this baby was over a week out from O day. I figured afterwards after doing some reading, probably just late implantation. I didn't get my BFP until the day AF was expected.
2. Dating measurements can be off by up to a week too. The skill level of the sonographer, the position of your uterus, things like this can affect how accurate your date actually is.

Since you saw a little heartbeat, you should be reassured. You'll get another scan in 2 weeks to ensure baby is growing on schedule, but the presence of a heartbeat is a very positive sign.

Thanks ladies I feel a bit more positive just hope the scan in 2 weeks shows a bigger baby x

With my dd I was about 99% sure of Ov date and implantation (felt stuff) and at my first scan (6+5) she measured 6 days behind. I panicked and spent a good week looking up stuff. There are so many variables that can affect dates before 12 weeks (quality of equipment, experience of tech, dates, position of uterus, position of embryo, general size of baby-some grow smaller)). Dates can vary within in a week on either side and still be perfectly fine. It's great that you saw a hb.

Hey laurenmomma
I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Baby was there with a heart beat at 6+2 but was on the smaller end of the scale. I go again on Monday and am too hoping there has been some growth.
Makes you worry doesnt it but there is a huge error margin that early on and they normally have caught up by the next scan.
Praying out beans have grown some and are getting nice and plump :flower:

Bear in mind that at this stage they are measuring in mm so it really easy to be a few days off.

I hope.your scan goes well but unfortunetly i had a MMC with a similar situation...i went for scan at 8 weeks and baby measure 1 week behind then at 11 weeks i started bleeding. Unfortunately i went for a scan and baby had stopped growing that same day i had gone and thats cause i even hear the heartbeat that instant. Hope yours is just wrong o days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->