early scan 2 sacs only one fetal pole, i dont understand help!

debbie2911

Reaction score
Hello :flower:

Need a little help anyone been through this and could tell me your outcome or what you may think is going on.
I have a history of miscarriages so I was sent for an early scan my lmp was 6th may I have short cycles 26 days found out I was pregnant on the 31st and my scan was on the 13th june so 5+3?
They found 2 sacs 1 measuring at 6mm and she said I think I see something inside but unsure as its still very early, I could see what looked like a little pole no heart beat and the other one was only 3mm completely empty and not a round sac more oval shaped. bloods was taken that day and was 5021 and the 2 days later was 8179 so they said not doubled but 60% and they are happy about that so I have another scan this Monday coming my symptoms have been very strong up until today, no bleeding few craps this evening but could be wind :blush: anyone explain what they think is going on so im prepared for Monday does it sound like I have lost both or just one its just 5+3 days the sacs seem very small, I have had a lot of miscarriages so I wouldn't be surprised but this is first time during early scan I have seen 2 sacs, could the small sac possible grow?

Hi, won't be much help here but didnt want to read and run! Just wanted to send you all the best of wishes for this pregnancy. 5+3 is still so early that I would try not to overanalyse the sac size etc. I am 13 weeks pregnant with twins and our first scan was at 6+5. During that we saw two sacs but one was immediately dismissed as not viable because the sac looked so small. However, on closer inspection a lite flickering heartbeat was found inside and if turned out that the sac was just at a strange angle making it harder to scan. By 8+5 scan both twinnies were doing great!

I am a recurrent miscarriage sufferer too so completely understand the worry.

Hope somebody else had some words of wisdom for you soon.

It is possible that one implanted a little later than the other? I had a scan at 5 weeks and you couldn't see anything more than the sac. They booked me for a scan 2 weeks later because he wanted to make sure we could see a hb, and sometimes even a week early it will be to soon. Fx you have two healthy babies and a h&h 9 months

I'd try not to worry too much about sac size and what not at this point. Heartbeat doesn't usually begin until 6+ wks I'd say. I'm sure your scan on Monday will show a healthy beating heart, if not 2 of them! Its definitely possible the other sac could have grown and developed. Perhaps one implanted later than the other.

Hi love, I'm a sonographer. Did the sonographer say that it was a second sac or did you just see her measuring something that you thought was a second sac?
She might have been measuring a small sub chorionic bleed which is veeeerrrryyyyyy common at this stage. They look black like a gestation sac.

Also you are still very early and it's not always possible to see a heartbeat this early. It's highly possible you will see the heartbeat by Monday but remember it's only a few days difference.

Good luck! Xxxxxx

thank you for your replys.

she didn't say either one was she found 3mm first said there is 3mm one and then they were both squinting and looking very close and when I asked what was happening she said its just to early to see anything. then looked around and said oh this is 6mm and I think I can see something but unsure. explained that its on such a small scale that its so hard to see anything that my body is good for scans cause if it wasn't they wouldn't of been able to see anything, then she showed me I pointed to smaller one and asked is that another she said it could be part of my womb its just to early and unsure if it was inside my womb or not and that she cant class anything as a viable pregnancy until she sees a heart beat so that's why I was sent for bloods and I was told if level didn't double or at least be 60% higher I wouldn't be offered another scan.

Hrmm that all sounds a little confusing!! No wonder you are confused. It's true that at this early stage it can be so hard to tell what's going on. Good luck with the bloods but I would still ask for another scan even if your bloods are only slowly rising. There are a few girls in the second trimester who had slow rising hcg, one of them was booked for a d&c and she demanded one last scan before the surgery and there was a 7 week live fetus In there!! So don't lose hope. Good luck Hun xxx

Just to add to what Kezzybear has said - definitely ask for another scan. It's not a failed pregnancy until your HCG starts to drop or until they do a scan that shows measurements consistent with a blighted ovum or a fetal pole with no heartbeat at a time that you should expect to see one.

The other reason they should scan is because, rarely, ectopics can present with what looks like a gestational sac in the uterus, but is actually collecting blood. Doesn't sound anything like what's happening to you, but don't let them write you off!

Good luck, hope you get to see two heartbeats next time x

thank you I do have a scan on Monday morning but just wanted to understand a bit more before I went there :hugs:

At my 5 week scan (dated from lmp) They couldn't even find a sac. Fast forward almost 5 weeks later and I'm still prego and doing great. It's simply really early and too small for them to see everything properly. Try to relax, they may not be able to see much more on Monday since it is still so soon.

5+3 is really really early to tell anything. it could be as well two different sacs of which one implanted later. but even transvaginal scans can fail to pick up a heartbeat that early on. it depends on the sonographer and on how the baby/babies are positioned. your betas sound good, i hope your scan on monday goes well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->