Early scan - is my CRL measurement normal ??

trudie100

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I had an early scan today (just a reassurance scan as I had a missed miscarriage years ago) and by the date of my last period I am 5 weeks 6 days pregnant today

The scan went well, she said she thinks I'm 5-6 weeks pregnant and that it was too early to detect heartbeat (I knew that might be the case) but that she could see the sac and yolk and the tiny baby inside so everything looked as good as it could do for now without being able to see a heartbeat

On the print out she gave me however I noticed that the CRL measurement was 1.9mm..... I stupidly googled it and this seems quite small for nearly 6 weeks

Does anyone know if this is normal or do you think I could have maybe ovulated later than I thought and I am only 5 weeks pregnant?

X

CRL measurements are very difficult to get right, even at the 12 week scan they can move by a few mm, baby is so small at that stage that the measurements are not very accurate so I wouldn't worry about it.

I had an early scan at 8 weeks and because the numbers moved around they put me back a week inaccurately which is why they don't change your due date/officially date you till your 12 week scan.

A lot of the times the printout has a different measurement on it. I have a friend who is 20+ weeks pregnant and her printout said she was like 10 weeks or something. Sometimes it just defaults. I would go by what your doc says.

Thanks girls

Im just worried now that if i really am nearly 6 weeks the babys measuring a week behind but theres not much I can do about it now until they scan me again in 2 weeks time x

If they were concerned they would've told you. The obs and techs don't seem to pull any punches. If she told you it's good - it's good :) when is your next scan?

That sounds fine to me, for being between 5-6 weeks along. I had a scan at 5+4 with my son and the measurement was 2mm and there was a heartbeat. There is a variation in sizing so no two babies will or should be expected to measure the same.

That sounds fine to me, for being between 5-6 weeks along. I had a scan at 5+4 with my son and the measurement was 2mm and there was a heartbeat. There is a variation in sizing so no two babies will or should be expected to measure the same.

Thanks ladies

Minties: thats made me feel a bit better

Although if you detected a heart beat at 5+4 im wondering if she was right and i'm maybe only 5 weeks but at least I know 1.9mm wasnt majorly far off if yours was 2mm

She didnt seem concerned and said it all looks normal for 5-6 weeks along but did say she cant say it will be a successful pregnancy yet as it was too early to detect a heart beat - a little confusing !

Im going back for a repeat scan in 2 weeks time (they did want to scan me 1 week later but im going to Florida for 2 weeks tomorrow ) x

I had a similar thing happen to me at my second scan. First one was at 5+2 (according to ovulation) and they could only see the gestational sac.

I was meant to be 6+5 by ovulation, 7+2 by LMP and crl was measured to be 6+2.

I was very worried but my doc said that so early on it is hard to measure the baby as it is really curled up and lying in funny positions, etc.

Naturally I couldn't stop thinking that something is wrong! It was the hardest 3 weeks that I had to wait until my next scan, at 9+5 by ovulation.

Sure enough baby grew perfectly and even measured 10+2 which was right on track according to LMP!! My doc left my due date alone and said that IF baby still measures bigger than what she initially thought at the second scan, then we change due date next time.

Try not to worry Hun, I know it is very silly of me to say that but worrying while I waited for my next scan didn't help me in any way!! I wish it was easier to just relax while waiting...

All the best!! x

I don't think his heart rate was measurable because of being so tiny, but we did see a wee flicker. It was a trans vaginal scan and she really had to jam it up and in pretty far to even see the baby.

I had a similar thing happen to me at my second scan. First one was at 5+2 (according to ovulation) and they could only see the gestational sac.

I was meant to be 6+5 by ovulation, 7+2 by LMP and crl was measured to be 6+2.

I was very worried but my doc said that so early on it is hard to measure the baby as it is really curled up and lying in funny positions, etc.

Naturally I couldn't stop thinking that something is wrong! It was the hardest 3 weeks that I had to wait until my next scan, at 9+5 by ovulation.

Sure enough baby grew perfectly and even measured 10+2 which was right on track according to LMP!! My doc left my due date alone and said that IF baby still measures bigger than what she initially thought at the second scan, then we change due date next time.

Try not to worry Hun, I know it is very silly of me to say that but worrying while I waited for my next scan didn't help me in any way!! I wish it was easier to just relax while waiting...

All the best!! x

Thanks hun, its reasurring to know that they can catch up that quickly!

Hopefully all will be OK at the next scan :happydance:

I have a follow up scan booked for Tuesday 5th January when I should be a day shy of 8 weeks so hopefully baby will be fine and a Normal size

After googling 2mm that seems to be the size of a 5 week old pregnancy and the sonographer did say pregnancy looks around 5 weeks (I should have been 6 by my dates at the time of the scan) so maybe she was right and I ovulated a little later than I thought or like you ladies have said I'll be bang on the correct dates as its just so hard to measure accurately when babies so small

Wish me luck ! I can't wait for the scan so I know either way :- x

Wishing you luck!! Have my scan on 5th too, cannot wait! Hope to see a big baby by then. You should be seeing a lovely little gummy bear! ��

Hi I had a early scan today as since my last af I would be 6 weeks 4 days but I did a digi which was 2-3 weeks plus my af was super late and cannot remember ovulation.... so mine measured 6mm sacred with a yolk sacred inside she said she was unsure on dates but some on here have said around 5 weeks... I go back on the 12th for a re scan xxxxz

The scan no baby just yolk scan said I was too early xx

Ahh i getcha

She said it was too early to date me properly too I just happened to notice the CRL measurements

Not long to go now until my scan- roll on Tuesday ekkkk :-

It will go fast :) mines the 12th that can't come quick enough keep us updated xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->