Early scan - measuring 2 weeks behind

Lil_Gem_1989

Reaction score
So i went for an early private scan yesterday. Based on LMP i am 8 weeks today. However, baby measured around 6 weeks. Could see the yolk sac and baby and the heartbeat. The sonographer didnt seem worried at all but i cant help feeling slightly concerned as I thought i was further along?!
Based on the date i think i conceived (9th december) 6 weeks is exactly right.
But im not sure how it works tbh, always thought lmp was a more reliable date up until 12 week scan.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I’m confused.
Thankyou
Xx

Lmp is really not reliable so don’t worry at all! Seeing a heartbeat is a really good sign.
If you ovulated late then your lmp becomes redundant - take your ovulation date (when you conceived, give or take a couple days) and add two weeks. But remember just because you think you ovulated at a certain time it may not be totally accurate. So if you conceived on the 9th, your lmp should have been about the 25th of November which would make you 8 weeks, which fits with your lmp. Could you have conceived around the 23rd of December? As that would fit more with your scan?
My lmp would put me a week and half later than I am, but I know within 5 days when we had to have conceived because of when we dtd. I also measured small on my first scan, but caught up about 4 days on my next scan. When everything is that tint measurements can be out a few days easily.
Congratulations :)

What date did you get your positive test? X

If you conceived when you thought you did you would also be 8 weeks. Is there any chance you conceived around xmas time? Also ditto to what LoraLoo said, when did you get your first positive test?

They use your LMP and base your dates off of a 28 day cycle. If you have a longer or shorter cycle it becomes majorly inaccurate. My first scan measured 8 days behind and it was because my cycle was presumed to be 28 days, but it's more like 36 days or longer.

Don't worry, the dates you have now shouldn't change :)

Thanks for the replies ladies.
My cycle is usually every 28/29 days. I remember doing the deed on 9th and i think the other date was 13th. Which is why i’m so confused. I got my bfp on 30th december. It was faint but there. I also took a test 6 days before that (xmas eve) and there was a very very faint positive which i only noticed when i looked back at it after taking the second test on 30th.
So my dates dont seem to add up!
Xx

THE top (blue) test was taken on 24th december and the bottom one was on 30th x
About a week later my test line was much darker and matched the control line

Attachments

• 39A2E7EB-18A5-4CBD-998C-8B1D08D9494B.jpg
    39A2E7EB-18A5-4CBD-998C-8B1D08D9494B.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 39
In that case what might have happened is you could have implanted late.

If you conceived on the 13th, and it took 12 days to implant, your test on the 30th would be 5 days past implantation and therefore looking about right. (The first test actually looks like an evap because it's so thin, I know you are pregnant but I wouldn't be quick to call the first one positive)

Baby (from what I understand) doesn't start any major growing until it's implanted. Up until then the cell is obviously dividing, but it needs to implant to secrete HCG. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong haha. So it would be 3 weeks before the 25th (2 weeks before conception and a week from implantation day) - which would now make you about 6+6 today, and closer to 6 weeks at your scan. Ultrasounds also have a margin or error + or - a few days.

Long story short, if your baby was a late implanter it could have thrown your dates off as well.

I think it's important to mention that ultrasound measurements are notoriously unreliable as well. As long as baby has a heartbeat and so on then I wouldn't worry. :)

Thanks ladies. I have been worrying a lot but hopefully all is well and i just ovulated and implanted late. We shall see anyway.
Does anyone know, will i get my dating scan appointment through the post? As cannot remember what the midwife said
X

Thanks ladies. I have been worrying a lot but hopefully all is well and i just ovulated and implanted late. We shall see anyway.
Does anyone know, will i get my dating scan appointment through the post? As cannot remember what the midwife said
X

In my area at least you get the scan appointment through in the post :).

I remember with my daughter we'd ovulated/caught the egg 5 days after we'd last had sex, so I think it's highly possible you ovulated later and implanted later. It's definitely possible that the dates are right, and I'd try not to worry :)

X

In my area at least you get the scan appointment thurough in the post :).

I remember with my daughter we'd ovulated/caught the egg 5 days after we'd last had sex, so I think it's highly possible you ovulated later and implanted later. It's definitely possible that the dates are right, and I'd try not to worry :)

Thankyou. Trying to stay calm and not worry. Seems like ages til the 12 week scan! X

I got my scan in the post about 5days after my midwife booking in appointment.

At my early scan i was 5 days behind where I knew I must of been because we only dtd once all month. At my 12 week scan baby had caught up and measured bang on

I got my scan in the post about 5days after my midwife booking in appointment.

At my early scan i was 5 days behind where I knew I must of been because we only dtd once all month. At my 12 week scan baby had caught up and measured bang on

How many weeks were you when you got your letter through the post? X

I saw the midwife at 8 weeks so just over that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back