Early scan - no baby

Mum_bear

Reaction score
Just had a scan and there is no baby, no pole just a sac and yolk. They said measuring about 5 weeks, going by my lmp I'm 6weeks and 5 days and my cycles are 28 days and I got my first BFP 16 days ago.

Realistically is it possible that I'm that early? I can't get the math to work. I have to go back in 2 weeks but I'm not hopeful.

You could be a week behind, if you found out at 9dpo that would make you 25 dpo today and a sac and yolk is normal from what I understand at that stage xx

It's really hit and miss that early. I can't say wether or not your pregnancy is viable however it still has a good chance to be. This time I had an early scan at 5+5 and was told I was 5 weeks, there was no pole just sac and yolk. I went back around 7+3 and there was the baby and heart beat but I was told I was a whole week behind.

I knew my dates and when I ovulated, and sure enough at my 12 week scan he had "caught up" to my LMP dates and I am now 34+ weeks.

Early scans can cause so much stress and vary so much. For example, my second baby had sac, yolk, pole and heartbeat at 5+3 and then with my third I went in at 6+3 or 4 and was told if I had come in just 1 day earlier the pole and hb would not have been seen as they had only just grown/kicked in, so she was completely different from the baby before her in terms of timescale of development.

Good luck! Hope your little one catches up!!

You could be a week behind, if you found out at 9dpo that would make you 25 dpo today and a sac and yolk is normal from what I understand at that stage xx

This is what i wás thinking too. 25dpo would be 5 weeks 4 days. Coincidentally i had my first scan for dd2 at 5w4d and all we could see was a sac (no yolk or anything) measuring 4 to 5 weeks. My lmp was 7w2d. When I had a scan a few weeks later my baby was there. I'm very hopeful that it's just early days for you.

Thank you ladies, I'm trying to stay positive but I'm not doing very well. How do last 2 weeks not knowing your body thinks your pregnant but not knowing if you're actually growing a baby? That's what I'm struggling with so bad

I had an ultrasound last Wednesday and they said I was measuring 6 weeks exactly and I was in the same position. I have a sac and a yolk sac, no baby yet. I go back on Monday for another ultrasound to make sure everything is progressing.

I've had early scans with all my pregnancies. In each case (except my ectopic) I was sent for 2 (the second 10-14 days after the first). We're talking millimetres here so don't panic just yet!

This pregnancy my GP sent me at what she thought (based on LMP) would have been 6wks (I thought I was 5). The sonographer saw sac only, measuring 4-5 weeks. So 10 days later I went back and was at 6+6 (exactly where I thought it should be) and saw HB. Similar scenario with #1 although #2 they were only a day or so out at the first scan.

Hang in there :hugs:

If you got your first BFP 16 days ago, you could easily only be 5w.

I had to wait 3 weeks after my BFP before I went for my 6 week scan, as I found out at 8dpo x

Thank you that makes me feel a little better. It's bizarre I am not a positive person at all and when I was pregnant with my son I was convinced that I'd nenver make it to full term but with this pregnancy I've been positive that everything's ok and been making announcement plans and we've been thinking about names. I haven't completely lost that optimism but I am worried I've been too confident and I've jinxed it.

The bad thing is that I've been signed off work for a few weeks as I'm struggling with my anxiety and depression not being on any medication so this really isn't helping. I don't have many people to talk to in real life so sorry for the babbling.

Will keep you updated xx

My last pregnancy I had a scan thinking I was around 7 weeks, scan said I was 6 weeks. I knew my dates but went with it anyway. My 12 week scan then put me a week ahead of my own dates (so 2 weeks ahead of my original scan). I gave birth on my own date funnily enough 😂 Scans can be hit and miss because they are measured in mm's!

There could be a few reasons you're measuring behind. It's possible you ovulated late, even if you're normally regular. We assume baby implants at 6dpo but it could happen right upto 12dpo, which would make measurements smaller than expected for your dates. You could even just have a slow grower, chances are baby will catch up by your next scan. It's so hard to get a good look when it's so small.

With this pregnancy I was scanned at 6+2 and there was nothing, just an empty gestational sac with no yolk sac or fetal pole. Four days later they had me in and there was a yolk sac and fetal pole measuring around 5 weeks (I should've been just on 7).
I had to wait two weeks to be scanned again which from the previous measurement would've made me 7+2 but baby had caught up and measured at 8+3 (still 5 days behind LMP dates).

We're still measuring behind but baby is growing so it's just one of those things :shrug:

Hope your next scan goes well :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"